Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shu

Penn torque II 5500 line lay issue

13 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, shu said:

It seems like there is a gap in the last 2-3 mm of the spool. Its been giving me a lot of windknot related issues like every 15 cast. 

20200215_212614.jpg

Looks like it's over filled. I think, No expert with braid. First time I tried braid years ago, my reel looked like that and had loads of wind knots. Reel was overfilled.

9 mins ago, shu said:

It look like that from the angle the picture is taken but the spool is definitely not overfilled 

Well then , I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows braid. I only us it for tog fishing from  jetties. Don't like it for casting plugs or bait chunking.

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, shu said:

It seems like there is a gap in the last 2-3 mm of the spool. Its been giving me a lot of windknot related issues like every 15 cast. 

20200215_212614.jpg

when the windknot hapen,where is in line ? first 30' or more then 100' ?

it is caled windknot ,but is not created by wind ,it is created by fisherman.

if it hapen first 30',the spool is overfiled ,or loose,or reel is not properly spooled.the reel wil not properly spool by machine or by reel itself.

if it hapen more then 100',then that is created at the end off cast,you close the bail and the line wind orond the knob on top off spool 2 ,or 3 turns then jump back on spool,when you cast the force off the line rip the line off tthe knob on spool and create the windknot .

to prevent that,when you cast close the bail manualy and pull on the line,the presure will put the line on spool.

prevent windknot  first 30'.

pul out from reel  100 yards line,then manualy wind 20 yards to botom of the spool,rest put on with reel.the spool should look like cone.

it depend on size off reel how many yards you have to put on manualy ,you have to try,20,30,40 what will work best for your reel.

when you cast 30 times put finger on line to make that tight on spool,

when you go fishing,make first cast light,second cast longest and put finger on line ,make that tight.when you finish fishing the line is wet over night it dry and lay loose on spool.

do that and put update here.

all the reel manufacturer's are full off shitt.

the reel for brade should have 1/4" biger lip on top off spool ,that will prevent to rip the loops off reel.the knob on top spool should be flush with top,the braid can not grab that.

thanks snag

Edited by snag777

2 hours ago, snag777 said:

when the windknot hapen,where is in line ? first 30' or more then 100' ?

Hi Snag, what you said makes a lot of sense, it happen within the first 30 or so yd. The line at the top section is laid very loose because the last 2-3 mm is not filled as you can see in the picture. So when the line comes out of the spool it loops over itself. The loop can usually get straighten out pretty quick but it's really annoying. 

That would drive a person mad!

Is it possible that there’s a washer/spacer under the spool that’s the wrong thickness, i.e. too thick? That could cause the spool not to travel downward far enough. Might be worth some experimentation. 

4 hours ago, Where R All The Fish said:

That would drive a person mad!

Is it possible that there’s a washer/spacer under the spool that’s the wrong thickness, i.e. too thick? That could cause the spool not to travel downward far enough. Might be worth some experimentation. 

I bought it brand new, and for a reel that cost around 700 ish it shouldn't have these kind of issues. I suspect a washer or something is missing because the spool doesn't travel all the way up

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, shu said:

I bought it brand new, and for a reel that cost around 700 ish it shouldn't have these kind of issues. I suspect a washer or something is missing because the spool doesn't travel all the way up

it is hapaning with every reel no mather on price,only solution is,wine the line manualy ,if not you can not fill the spool more then 1/4 " deep. from lip off spool,if the top lip on spool was 1/4 " biger you could fill full spool.

Edited by snag777

Shu,

I would recommend taking the line off then re-spooling after adding/removing a spool shaft shim.  Hard to tell by the picture and with the band on the spool, does it seem like the line is laying more top or bottom heavy? 

tony 

hey shu,

i have a penn torque and i always have problems initially because i put too much line on the reel, can't help myself. penn says 1/8 inch below the lip and that seems about right. once i get dialed in no more wind knots. if you have a gap at the top of the spool you need to remove a shim. if you have a gap at the bottom you need to add. this is not the fault of the reel, just a common adjustment we all gotta do sometimes. you have a great reel. when you get dialed in you will be happy. good luck

I have no experience with the torque 2, but my first generation torque had the same issue. I learned to just deal with the gap, and never swing hard. I had my torque 5 for at least 6 seasons of land based tarpon fishing, and the day I let it go it was as tight as the day I bought it. Great reel, but it had a few quirks. Penn, if you're listening, those quirks convinced me to go a different route with the new reel.