daytripper

ST Croix warranty upgrade

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So after 18yrs my Ben Doerr 8ft 3in broke near top,St Croix gave me a credit,
  looking to get an 8ft replacement,what do you guys like or dislike in their 8ft lineup,Thanks DT

The 8 ft mojo surf is just about my favorite all around rod.  Throws plugs from an ounce to 3 oz very well.   Handles any bass you’ll run into, Ive landed schoolie bluefin to about 60 lbs no problem.

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, daytripper said:

Anybody have Avid 8ft surf?

Yup great lil stick . Kinda on the fast side so if ya like moderate slow rods this ain’t it ..  I used a lot to jig fast deep water with 1.5-3oz jigs  does very well ..  

but strong light lil blank with nice components... only bad thing I have to say about it is the cork tape will loosen  and stretch  . Both the ones I have same thing . Alil shrink over it and better then new imo 

Edited by Wire For Fire

8ft Avid surf here. Pricey but had some returns, gift card etc.. I was looking to fill a rock hopping niche for a lightweight plugging rod that was stout and would give me good casting distance. The Avid has worked out great casting 3/4 jigs to 3oz plugs . Initially I felt the tip was too stiff and fast, I bought a dud. Gave it a chance, and it has become my main combo for tossing plugs from the rock ledges I fish. Paired with a BG3000 it is a very lightweight combo that is stout  enough to control fish around boulders and hoist up the smaller fish to my elevated perch.  Another niche it fills is that when I am fishing ledges and observe stripers in the surf down beach I am still in the game. The great castability of the fast tip allows me to achieve respectable distance in the

surf. The 8ft Avid is a keeper for me.

The 8' Avid was way too fast for my liking. A pool cue or broomstick is how I would describe it. I moved to a 8' SE Teremar rated 1/2-2oz and love it. The components aren't as nice as the Avid but it's also less than 50% the price. The rod is soft enough to throw really light plastics but also has enough back bone to set on larger fish. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Livliner said:

8ft Avid surf here. Pricey but had some returns, gift card etc.. I was looking to fill a rock hopping niche for a lightweight plugging rod that was stout and would give me good casting distance. The Avid has worked out great casting 3/4 jigs to 3oz plugs . Initially I felt the tip was too stiff and fast, I bought a dud. Gave it a chance, and it has become my main combo for tossing plugs from the rock ledges I fish. Paired with a BG3000 it is a very lightweight combo that is stout  enough to control fish around boulders and hoist up the smaller fish to my elevated perch.  Another niche it fills is that when I am fishing ledges and observe stripers in the surf down beach I am still in the game. The great castability of the fast tip allows me to achieve respectable distance in the

surf. The 8ft Avid is a keeper for me.

Long story short we fishing all night from sunset to sun up . And not much going all night . On our hike out we stumble in fish going bananas in a part of the bridge ya can only get to from above . We were hauling schoolies up 50’ bridge one after another . And all big fish had to be walked to rocks like 100 yard away , climb down release . Run back up and soon as jig hit water in again lol doh take a hike .. rods held like champs .. only one I ever broke I slipped on a rock chasing albies and broke rod and effed my self up good . Replaced with another under there your stupid warranty . Well worth it 

Edited by Wire For Fire

Honestly I kinda love my 8ft mojo cat .5-3oz. Its a two piece rod and is great for spring fishing. Biggest fish I've caught in it was probably close to 30" in some moderate current and it handled it beautifully. 

8 hours ago, captahab416 said:

Honestly I kinda love my 8ft mojo cat .5-3oz. Its a two piece rod and is great for spring fishing. Biggest fish I've caught in it was probably close to 30" in some moderate current and it handled it beautifully. 

does this have a moderate action ? shoulder going south. looking for an easy to load rod. thks

Its labeled as a fast action rod but I find it easy enough to load. Throwing mostly minnow plugs small tins rebel jumping minnows and what not. Definitely more moderate than the avid or mojo surf. I'd describe it as moderate/fast.