New fishing Pier

Rate this topic

Angler #1

is underway at Deer Island in East Boston . This area has been a noted fishing hot spot over the years , having fished myself from shore and boat near this project. This is our permits at work. It will also better identify those in a boat in where they may be able to pick up some flounder, bass, bluefish and even tog at times. I can still recall going out at night from the Winthrop Yacht club with a high liner of the time , whos name I do not recall. When the tide turned to go out he set up two anchors and simply put out the large plugs and let them wiggle in the fast moving current all guided by an alcohol light in the cabin . Big fish of the night for the most part were put on board . Taking turns on who has what rod and reel sitting in holders waiting for a take down Memories from the past for sure.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

Although I am also a strong advocate for more enforcement, fishing access is a thing that has not been fully addressed and I for one applaud this. We that are fully mobile take all the fantastic fishing we have for granted. The support for more access to help disabled and limited mobility individuals.

I hate the situation on the poachers but we fishers have put a spotlight on the poaching problem and we can continue to aggressively report violators... We need money for both opportunities.. tight lines !

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

I spoke with Mike Armstrong (Deputy Director of The MA-DMF) about this pier yesterday and he was very proud of it. I told him I would rather see our saltwater license money going first to buying out the inshore draggers and gill netters (we are talking about only $1-1 1/2 million/year at the most) so they are not financially impacted and have the state end all netting operations in state waters so when we build a fishing pier we can catch something other than "crabs and skates".

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

That pier will be great for a lot of people including our disabled vets. With a strong NE wind you can fish there and be fine. It's a great flounder spot and its also a great bass spot especially for the bait and wait folks.  

In another time it was also great for cod fishing during the winter months and early spring It is to bad that you need to go through Winthrop to get to it.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:

That pier will be great for a lot of people including our disabled vets. With a strong NE wind you can fish there and be fine. It's a great flounder spot and its also a great bass spot especially for the bait and wait folks.  

Exactly..

4 hours ago, jason colby said:

I spoke with Mike Armstrong (Deputy Director of The MA-DMF) about this pier yesterday and he was very proud of it. I told him I would rather see our saltwater license money going first to buying out the inshore draggers and gill netters (we are talking about only $1-1 1/2 million/year at the most) so they are not financially impacted and have the state end all netting operations in state waters so when we build a fishing pier we can catch something other than "crabs and skates".

Ross Kessler is also very proud of this project... the budget they work with is so limited and strict but DMF gets it done.. No complaints. I guess we only complain about the fishers that can't fish with honor...

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

In another time it was also great for cod fishing during the winter months and early spring It is to bad that you need to go through Winthrop to get to it.

So I guess because of the geography and the fact that you have to travel through their town.... I bet you feel that Winthrop residents should have to take turns baiting your hook and cleaning your fish because this inconvenience?   :airquote:     .

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

57 mins ago, flylikabird said:

So I guess because of the geography and the fact that you have to travel through their town.... I bet you feel that Winthrop residents should have to take turns baiting your hook and cleaning your fish because this inconvenience?   :airquote:     .

Look, before what ever is bothering you with what I posted had nothing to do with Winthrop  itself.  I posted what what I did from another time when getting to deer island to fish was a very slow process maneuvering the causeway to actually get there , having to learn how to get around all of the one way streets, no signage and then you needed a resident sticker to park .  At that time the winter and early spring fishing any one was able to fish and park.   I wonder if that is still the case today?

I have baited and cleaned my own fish now for well over 75 years when ever I found myself fishing with bait, so I have no understanding in what that comment was all about Peace 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

On 2/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, Angler #1 said:

is underway at Deer Island in East Boston . This area has been a noted fishing hot spot over the years , having fished myself from shore and boat near this project. This is our permits at work. It will also better identify those in a boat in where they may be able to pick up some flounder, bass, bluefish and even tog at times. I can still recall going out at night from the Winthrop Yacht club with a high liner of the time , whos name I do not recall. When the tide turned to go out he set up two anchors and simply put out the large plugs and let them wiggle in the fast moving current all guided by an alcohol light in the cabin . Big fish of the night for the most part were put on board . Taking turns on who has what rod and reel sitting in holders waiting for a take down Memories from the past for sure.

Thanks for sharing:)

40 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Look, before what ever is bothering you with what I posted had nothing to do with Winthrop  itself.  I posted what what I did from another time when getting to deer island to fish was a very slow process maneuvering the causeway to actually get there , having to learn how to get around all of the one way streets, no signage and then you needed a resident sticker to park .  At that time the winter and early spring fishing any one was able to fish and park.   I wonder if that is still the case today?

I have baited and cleaned my own fish now for well over 75 years when ever I found myself fishing with bait, so I have no understanding in what that comment was all about Peace 

It's called sarcasm.....GET SOME AND USE IT!   :laugh:

Every classic fishing hole in the Northeast or should I say in America takes effort to get to the classic fishing holes.   I know this...you know it!

I chose to call Winthrop home for a period in my life and it was very memorable!   

I was simply busting the proverbials.  No harm no foul Angler.   :p  

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

Winthrop was the home of the Polish Prince a man whom often would write about Winthrop and Deer Island , back in a time when we those who plied the surf and inner harbors has unlimited supply;s of The Golden Cod, flounder, smelt to mention just a small fraction of the many resources a kid from the city could travel to and be into some clean living catching the evening meal for the family of many . We had to use our resources to figure out how to get to a particular spot and then get back home safe and sound. That meant having a few coins to travel by bus street car or train and with out a watch to tell time still get on the last one back at night to make all of the other connections.

To see a public pier being built in such places is a long time dream come true and it offers those of us that no longer can walk the beaches a safe place to fish and still communicate with our peers. One place that once had a nice pier that we often used was over at Long Island as well as the one in Castle Island and Lynn . To think that now the fish have been depleted by poor management over many years for recreational users just opens up the door that perhaps some one may be actually looking at doing something for every one that fishes recreational. WE soon will have a new director marine Fisheries, since the retirement of our most recent one , hopefully he will manage the whole resource for every one and not one particular user group Peace    

Edited by Angler #1

Life member M.B.B.A #509

4 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Winthrop was the home of the Polish Prince a man whom often would write about Winthrop and Deer Island , back in a time when we those who plied the surf and inner harbors has unlimited supply;s of The Golden Cod, flounder, smelt to mention just a small fraction of the many resources a kid from the city could travel to and be into some clean living catching the evening meal for the family of many . We had to use our resources to figure out how to get to a particular spot and then get back home safe and sound. That meant having a few coins to travel by bus street car or train and with out a watch to tell time still get on the last one back at night to make all of the other connections.

To see a public pier being built in such places is a long time dream come true and it offers those of us that no longer can walk the beaches a safe place to fish and still communicate with our peers. One place that once had a nice pier that we often used was over at Long Island as well as the one in Castle Island and Lynn . To think that now the fish have been depleted by poor management over many years for recreational users just opens up the door that perhaps some one may be actually looking at doing something for every one that fishes recreational. WE soon will have a new director marine Fisheries, since the retirement of our most recent one , hopefully he will manage the whole resource for every one and not one particular user group Peace    

I think this is the dream of most who frequent here in the Mass. Forum and what you've laid out is well said.   Kudos!

On 2/16/2020 at 9:47 AM, jason colby said:

This is a much better idea!!

Why a pier in this area?The area has a very high drug user population should be a great placee to kill yourself with needles and maybe a mugging if your lucky.