Ben Lippen

Toilet guts question for the plumbers

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

The original American Standard toilet (1970) is still in "my" bathroom in my house. The ball chain attachment to the flapper has gone away, so there's no way to hook a new chain. 

Do I spend the $30.00 on a A.S. replacement? Or $12.00 for a generic? I'd rather not have to do a whole rebuild for just the flapper.

John, I had to replace just the flapper no more than two weeks ago.  Do a search with manufacturer and model to find out which flapper you need. Model for toilet will be on inside of tank. Found mine for a Toto at local Ace hardware.

32 mins ago, gray gables said:

Put in a comfortable height elongated bowl toilet. Much more comfortable when your doing a number two. 

Much more comfortable tomorrow NOT replacing the whole thing, lol. A Hi-Rise bowl will go in it's place this summer when I gut that bathroom.

Thanks all. I found the correct fitting flapper to keep it all going for now. 

Flip the toilet tank cover over and write down the part numbers. Cross reference and buy the same or aftermarket parts. 

9 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Flip the toilet tank cover over and write down the part numbers. Cross reference and buy the same or aftermarket parts. 

That's what I did. All done and the rest of the guts are undisturbed and still working fine. Got it done today in time for the race to start.... but it hasn't yet.

19 hours ago, Stewie said:

Just call a plumber. He'd probably do it for around $200

I called my guy,.... He didn't call me back :why:

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

I called my guy,.... He didn't call me back :why:

LOL!  Glad you got it working, but seriously, that vintage throne should be retired. For $160 you can get a tall, elongated, low flow toilet that you'll never ever have to double flush. American Standard Cadet 3. One of the few instances in life when one of the cheapest is also the best. I've installed 14 of them including 2 in my own home and never, ever have a clog. The key is that it has a 3" tank valve, not 2" like the old and many current ones. I had one of those Gerber pressure tank models for a while and HATED it! Scared the crap out of my kids, it's a wonder they got toilet trained.

The old toilet still works great, never double flush. But if I hafta pull that one the whole bathroom is getting gutted. So I'm not in a rush to do that.

It's funny how you are bringing up separate parts in the toilet. Both of mine had a water leak issue from the inlet valve in the tank. 

I had to pull both of them out and wrap silicone tape around the gasket to get a good seal again. My upstair one has been beyond repair and had to replace the whole thing... and I hate that new one.

My mom just had 2 crack after 20+ years where the handle goes through the tank . The first cracked all the way through before she saw it and caused a flood.  The second was a hairline crack she saw a few days ago-  I recommended she replace the toilet to be safe..  She agreed and then she saw the crack had more than doubled in a few days.  No clue way tanks would crack this way after many years.  Swapped out the first one a month or so ago and had to deal with rotten flooring.  The second one was yesterday ….and I inadvertently jerked the supply lien and cracked the CPVC where it came out of the wall.  Freakin mess on what should have been a simple job.  Anyoen else ever see tanks crack like that?

4 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

The old toilet still works great, never double flush. But if I hafta pull that one the whole bathroom is getting gutted. So I'm not in a rush to do that.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that an old 5 gallon tank needs a double! They didn't mess around. It's just that a lot of people got shy of the low flows because so many of the early ones sucked so badly. So I'm used to people hanging onto them believing all low flows still suck. My MiL has one that takes like 10 minutes to flush...

Why do you say the bath would need to be gutted? I'm sure you know swapping a toilet isn't a big deal, though I once had one where the incompetent morons working for the previous owner had tiled it in! I had to sledge hammer it to get it out. Fortunately there was a some leftover tile in the basement to set some filler tile to the ring properly after I did a mud bed to the right height.