Chris long

“Quantum Cabo” An Unsung Hero! What ya think?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Hey All. I was just sitting around with the mid winter blues wishing I was out fishing!! I’m sure we can all relate!! Most of my rods and reels are within an arms length of me at my desk in my home. I pick up a few daily and just turn the handles, dreaming and anticipating the up and coming season. Well, this morning I picked up my Cabo 80 to play with. I’m sitting there turning the reel, spinning the spool to hear the drag etc. after I put it down I thought to myself, man I love this reel. It’s smooth, loaded up with bearings where they count, had a great drag in my opinion, a nice sealed anti reverse clutch and the drag clicker is the BEST sounding of all my gear, even my Stella. I’m not comparing the reel to Stella but when 

this drag starts screaming, there’s no better sounding drag in my opinion. You don’t hear it talked about much with so freakin much out in the marketplace. But I gotta say, the price point on this reel may be one of the best bargains around. That’s why I call it the unsung hero. Would love to hear everyone’s opinion. Everyone has a different opinion and respect that to the fullest. BUT, in order to have a credible opinion you have had to have fished the reel. Let me know if you agree, disagree, and your experiences with what I call the unsung Hero!! 

i agree. I have one in the 50 size. Light weight but powerful and smooth. I love it. That reel has put many a fish on the beach for me and it hasn't complained once.

Glad to read this. Bought a Cabo PTSD50 and haven't used it yet... I live to far away from saltwater.

Looking forward to used it on a warm beach in month...

Is it me or a Cabo50 about the same size of a Penn 5000 (Fierce, Battle,etc)?

I have neither of them two reels your asking about. So I can’t give you accurate info. Sorry! But it’s def a nice reel, especially for the money. Can’t beat it. All though I still think the new Stradic FL And Diawa Back Bay 3 or 4000 is one the best reels on the market at the 200 price point. 

9 mins ago, SurfFishDan said:

Glad to read this. Bought a Cabo PTSD50 and haven't used it yet... I live to far away from saltwater.

42 mins ago, SurfFishDan said:

This thread got me to thinking I might have a Cabo 50 somewhere.

So I went looking in one of my tackle storage bins and sure enough I found one.

It’s new and never been used.
If I remember correctly  I probably bought it at a good sale many years ago without having a specific need for it.

I guess I put it away and simply forgot about it.

This made my day because 

it’s  like finding a bit of buried treasure.

The reel turns as smooth as silk but I suppose that I’ll crack it open to check for any dried/hardened grease which needs to be changed out.

Hooray!

I am a big fan of the boca. I have 4 all size 50 and never had an issue. For the extra $ the cabo has to be a great reel. Either way these reels in size 50 seem to be a niche size/weight to me that is missing from a lot of lineups.

I have a 50 and 60 same reel different sixe spool for saltwater . Have owned them since they first came out . Never an issue and still smooth .

I also have a 20 that I use frequently in freshwater also very smooth and strong drag , caught a few trout over 5# on that reel . Would I buy again . sure would !

Great reels.  At one point I had 3 Cabos. Over the years I sold 2 but still have a 50 on the wall.. very solid well made reels. Never once gave me a single issue in any way... 

And @Chris long your right... it does have a great sounding drag.  Hands down one of my favorites.  

4 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

I have experienced "buyer's remorse" with everything I have ever bought made by Quantum.

Huh?? Okay,  so this is what I was looking for when I started the topic sometime ago. Was looking to hear the good , And the bad. So far, out of several responses there’s been nothing but praise and on furthermore on ALL sizes from the 50 and up. But even Stella has had its concerns through out the years!! Like anything mechanical, things break, wear, and ultimately fail in one way or another. I’m truly I treated for you to elaborate on your quote, “buyers remorse”,  since it’s the first thus far with a negative review in this conversation. Did it fail on ya, did it bind up? Was it salt or freshwater use? And did you keep it clean? Speaking for myself, your info could be of huge help to keep my experience this far an A+. Again if you would kindly elaborate and let me know specifics to your experience that would be much appreciated. Worst case scenario, I’ll at least know maybe what not to do or to do to again keep an A+ experience with my own. Thank you much for sharing your thoughts and experiences!!  
CL

I have an older Cabo 60 with live bait switch and a newer 50. I use them as boat reels or back ups but rarely fish from boats so they don’t get much use. The drags are amazing.