Beard Care: Trimmers, conditioners, what do you like?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Wasn't really sure were to post this question. SOL is really the only social media I use. I really just hope this doesn't degrade into an adolescent Tavern thread.  My questions are serious and hoping fellow SOL'ers will share their preferences of beard grooming products here. 

For me there was a bit of a learning curve for taking care of my beard so it doesn't look like scruffy.

Working in a professional environment necessitates good grooming, especially with facial hair.

Trimmers: After I first grew mine in for "No Shave November", a few years ago I bought a cheap drug store trimmer. Of course, it was terrible. When that died I bought a WHAL stainless steel. It was better, but not great. I find myself having to go over and over the same areas several times. Now that one is dying. I asked the person who cuts my hair about "professional trimmers", they said they are very expensive. What beard trimmers do you like?

Conditioners: My beard is kind of curly / kinky and dry. I figured out quickly that I needed to use something to moisturize it to keep it from being brittle and  dry looking w/ dry skin underneath. I just picked up what ever the local drug store had for a beard conditioner. It was okay. The stopped carrying that one, I thing it was club something. Then I bought just for men. I liked that, again they stopped carrying that. I tried brusk beard oil. I liked it. They stopped carrying it. I ordered Honest Amish premium and like it. Now I use that & their beard balm. I might go to their heavy duty to help tame my beard and try to make it look a little smoother. What products do you like?

Respectfully,

JD

I can't have a beard now due to wearing a respirator at work, just a mustache. That being said, I used a Philips Norelco One Blade for the trimmer and the single blade on the back side of a Gillette Fusion razor to do edge and shape work.

As for beard conditioning, the best thing I ever used was just organic virgin coconut oil. There may be some things that are cheaper but none better for the price of coconut oil. I also used Clubman mustache wax whenever I had a handlebar mustache. The whole handlebar mustache thing was way too much work though.

5 hours ago, Nein said:

I can't have a beard now due to wearing a respirator at work, just a mustache. That being said, I used a Philips Norelco One Blade for the trimmer and the single blade on the back side of a Gillette Fusion razor to do edge and shape work.

As for beard conditioning, the best thing I ever used was just organic virgin coconut oil. There may be some things that are cheaper but none better for the price of coconut oil. I also used Clubman mustache wax whenever I had a handlebar mustache. The whole handlebar mustache thing was way too much work though.

Thanks Nein,

I'd have never thought of "organic coconut oil". Where'd you find out about using that on facial hair? I believe is has a slight antimacrobial property.

4 hours ago, glos said:

How the hell did you manage to get WAHL to wear off.

I use it for hair cutting, and it is mint, year long now.

2 drops of oil after each use.

wahl super taper.

I used the WAHL for what I now believe is 2 or 3 years now. I do oil blades, but far from every time I use it. Perhaps that's my problem?

Like I said I asked the person who cuts my hair about a pro model. They said they are very expensive, I think they said a couple hundred dollars and they are not cordless. 

I may look into that.

I'll let you know where I land.

Thanks!

JD

On 2/15/2020 at 6:15 AM, jjdbike said:

Wasn't really sure were to post this question. SOL is really the only social media I use. I really just hope this doesn't degrade into an adolescent Tavern thread.  My questions are serious and hoping fellow SOL'ers will share their preferences of beard grooming products here. 

For me there was a bit of a learning curve for taking care of my beard so it doesn't look like scruffy.

Working in a professional environment necessitates good grooming, especially with facial hair.

Trimmers: After I first grew mine in for "No Shave November", a few years ago I bought a cheap drug store trimmer. Of course, it was terrible. When that died I bought a WHAL stainless steel. It was better, but not great. I find myself having to go over and over the same areas several times. Now that one is dying. I asked the person who cuts my hair about "professional trimmers", they said they are very expensive. What beard trimmers do you like?

Conditioners: My beard is kind of curly / kinky and dry. I figured out quickly that I needed to use something to moisturize it to keep it from being brittle and  dry looking w/ dry skin underneath. I just picked up what ever the local drug store had for a beard conditioner. It was okay. The stopped carrying that one, I thing it was club something. Then I bought just for men. I liked that, again they stopped carrying that. I tried brusk beard oil. I liked it. They stopped carrying it. I ordered Honest Amish premium and like it. Now I use that & their beard balm. I might go to their heavy duty to help tame my beard and try to make it look a little smoother. What products do you like?

Respectfully,

JD

All adjustable beard trimmers kinda suck......the philips waterproof ones die in a year....been through 3 and the same thing happens. Norelco bg7040/42  ...Randomly turns on for no reason hours after use.......only stays off when on charger............doesn't work about a month later.....

This one is good but doesn't trim as well   https://amzn.to/2HrYzqh  waterproo like the norelco.  (was tough to find for awhile)   

Bout the gayest thing I've done was make the wifey some moisturizer.... (tied with wearing a scarf)

Shea butter 1lb

Almond oil

Whipped in a bowl with a hand mixer...

cost like 20 bucks......makes a few tubs.....and lasts years....and better than anything you can buy in a store.....

I hate any type of perfume or chemical smell (think jergins, aveeno, etc).....Burns my eyes and messes with my breathing.... (no candles or incense either)   

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

22 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Nein,

I'd have never thought of "organic coconut oil". Where'd you find out about using that on facial hair? I believe is has a slight antimacrobial property.

When I met my fianceé she used to put it on her hair for an hour then wash it out. It makes her hair super soft. I was complaining about my beard being itchy and the skin underneath too, and she put some of it on there and it really softened it up nicely for a few days. 

And yes I have heard it said that it has some antifungal and antimicrobial abilities. Good luck.

5 hours ago, Nein said:

As for beard conditioning, the best thing I ever used was just organic virgin coconut oil. There may be some things that are cheaper but none better for the price of coconut oil. 

I like it, after reconsidering what I'm paying for beard oil and balm

5 hours ago, glos said:

How the hell did you manage to get WAHL to wear off.

Couple years of daily use.

28 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

All adjustable beard trimmers kinda suck......

Bout the gayest thing I've done was make the wifey some moisturizer.... (tied with wearing a scarf)

Shea butter 1lb

Almond oil

Whipped in a bowl with a hand mixer...

cost like 20 bucks......makes a few tubs.....and lasts years....and better than anything you can buy in a store.....

Thanks Scoob. Yea all the ones I has do far kind of sucked.

Thinking of going the nuclear option w/ all out pro corded modle.

Looking at this one, along w/ attachments. Reviews say it's heavy but powerful and lasts. The blades are replaceable. 

I'll let ya know.

yhst-88462588038071_2613_25696508466.png

For over 2 decades I've used a cheap Wahl or equivalent corded HAIR cutter for not only my beard but to cut my own hair. The beard trimmers have no power, they're like a toy compared to the hair trimmers. I don't find the cord a hassle at all. I've gone through maybe 3 or 4 $20-30 units, not bad over that period of time. I love my current one where they finally color coded the combs for length and have the guide to color printed on the unit. Makes it SO easy! My current beard is 5/8 for my chin (helps to hide the double chin) and 3/8 for the rest. Tried longer but makes me look like Santa Claus. Head is 3/4 on top, 1/4 all around and taper around the ears.

Sorry, I've never used any conditioning products, not even on my head.

81+WImB+5fL._SY355_.jpg

EDIT: "Daily use"???? Are you doing that 5:00 shadow look? I trim like ever week or 2.

Edited by gellfex

47 mins ago, gellfex said:

For over 2 decades I've used a cheap Wahl or equivalent corded HAIR cutter for not only my beard but to cut my own hair. The beard trimmers have no power, they're like a toy compared to the hair trimmers. I don't find the cord a hassle at all. I've gone through maybe 3 or 4 $20-30 units, not bad over that period of time. I love my current one where they finally color coded the combs for length and have the guide to color printed on the unit. Makes it SO easy! My current beard is 5/8 for my chin (helps to hide the double chin) and 3/8 for the rest. Tried longer but makes me look like Santa Claus. Head is 3/4 on top, 1/4 all around and taper around the ears.

Sorry, I've never used any conditioning products, not even on my head.

81+WImB+5fL._SY355_.jpg

EDIT: "Daily use"???? Are you doing that 5:00 shadow look? I trim like ever week or 2.

Thanks bud,

I asked the person who cuts my hart about that Oster.

Daily, cause I’m a public school teacher & try to look well groomed and professional. 
like I said my beard is kinda kinky so if it’s not freshly trimmed it looks scruff.

JD

Alright J,.....

By the time I was a young cowboy (18) I had a full on ZZTop beard and hair down to my arse. Other than shaving my cheeks and neck, I never trimmed it. But I did wash my hair and beard with Wonder Blue horse shampoo. We used it on any horses going to sale. Made them nice and shiny, and I never had a tangle or issue. 

Fast forward  fifteen years and it was all cut off but I had right away started growing a beard every winter. I bought a Wahl model MC3. Corded, full kit. Rarely remember to clean/oil it. Ben using it twice a week to cut stubble on my neck and cheeks before I shave, then every other week to run over the whole head. 

So, fifteen plus with it now and it still works fine. Think I paid maybe 50 bucks or so for it. 

4 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Alright J,.....

By the time I was a young cowboy (18) I had a full on ZZTop beard and hair down to my arse. Other than shaving my cheeks and neck, I never trimmed it. But I did wash my hair and beard with Wonder Blue horse shampoo. We used it on any horses going to sale. Made them nice and shiny, and I never had a tangle or issue. 

Fast forward  fifteen years and it was all cut off but I had right away started growing a beard every winter. I bought a Wahl model MC3. Corded, full kit. Rarely remember to clean/oil it. Ben using it twice a week to cut stubble on my neck and cheeks before I shave, then every other week to run over the whole head. 

So, fifteen plus with it now and it still works fine. Think I paid maybe 50 bucks or so for it. 

Thanks Ben,

That was a fun reply to read. Not sure if I'll look up horse shampoo, but I'll keep that in mind. 

If I remember correctly from the last time we met years ago, I think I'm much farther from being a "young cowboy" than you are.

Funny you mention ZZ Top. They've been the sound track of my weekend. Always liked them, but for some reason I was really feeling' them this weekend. Been digging through their catalog looking for songs I didn't recognize. Funny, they seem to sound so much better LOUD :  )

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

I stop there, that closest setting is good enough for me! I use a razor like once a year if I'm going to a "tie wearing" type event. 

My bud said the Oster is a beast that'll work well & last for a LONG time, and at a good price.

JD