Buying the new ABU Record???

Rate this topic

Surfslinger

As with the wiffle spool 5600, the final version of the Record is also a low capacity wiffle spool, even the 6xxx size. confused.gif

Sure the new carbon drag and better construction is nice, but hope they will offer a "normal" sized spool as an after the purchase option. Not too crazy about the 6.3:1, and hope that older gear sets will fit.

We shall see.

SS

aburecord.jpg

There always a catch isnt there surfslinger?

Almost as if they are taunting us...

What ı would suggest to ABU is that they coordinate a "salt water surf custom shop" where they make up beefed up propper versions of these reels with the needed upgrade parts...

They have the technology but seem to some how over look the surfcasters special needs...

The Horizon Calls..........

I know Poppy, and as mentioned, I hope they will offer a std capacity spool. Also, I could care less if it's wiffle, even if this bucks the current trend sheep mentality.

If I wanted a "Super Finesse" reel with the same capacity, I'd buy a 9 gram tuning spool for a 5500/5501 and be done with it! If they only offer this tiny spool for the 6600, they are completely shutting out a whole segment of their business to loyal users who spend the $$$.

Like most sporting goods marketed today, it's all about perceived ease of use, mastery at first use, and no learning curve. Psst, guess what, you have to practice A LOT to master/proficiently use a bait-caster. IMO, if it's made fool-proof, the reel and your true potential as a caster will never be met. Every time I see a product marketed as "Smart X", Sensi Y", or "world's easiest", I expect its performance to suck.

Really interested in seeing a schematic for this reel, and checking out the new "Sensi-brake" system. From what I gather, it's used to gain spool tension w/o increasing cranking effort.

I applaud the effort ABU made, just curious why they stuck tricycle tires on a Corvette confused.gif

SS