Shag

Free 24’ MORC class sailboat

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Free sailboat 16 bags of sails, new epoxy cockpit sole. Needs paint, and repair of soft spot around granny winch, some rot on forward bulkhead. Wouldn’t take much to enjoy your Thirsty Thursday’s and Weekend Warrior  Races. Comes with 7 jack stands and steel cradle. Taker has to take it all. Giving it a week until it gets

1EB68346-9710-4523-85F0-E008EE1C7BC0.jpeg

Edited by Shag

So sad, wonder how many here even got MORC?  Gen X and Millennials have little interest in sailing.  Their short attention span doesn't allow for a full day out on the water, so they're gravitating to power boats.  Trend is so bad people can't even give their sailboats away. 

Hope someone comes to the rescue, she has very nice looking lines... 

2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

So sad, wonder how many here even got MORC?  Gen X and Millennials have little interest in sailing.  Their short attention span doesn't allow for a full day out on the water, so they're gravitating to power boats.  Trend is so bad people can't even give their sailboats away. 

Hope someone comes to the rescue, she has very nice looking lines... 

Thanks Roccus, I hope so too. Fling actually was custom built and designed by a group of men from the local Sailing Club in response to the J 24’s success in PHRF and the Kramer 24 in MORC. Her amateur crew sailed her well at Block Island Race Week and around the LIS circuit. I was hoping to bring her back, but numerous orthopedic surgeries, and lack of a protected workspace just made it impossible for me. The seventies and eighties were the hey day for sailing, I guess partially fueled by the gas crisis we all endured. Lots of home built projects going on as well. In 81 my new bride and I rebuilt a 38’ trimaran and sailing and cruising was our lifestyle. We don’t see that much any more.

17 mins ago, Shag said:

Thanks Roccus, I hope so too. Fling actually was custom built and designed by a group of men from the local Sailing Club in response to the J 24’s success in PHRF and the Kramer 24 in MORC. Her amateur crew sailed her well at Block Island Race Week and around the LIS circuit. I was hoping to bring her back, but numerous orthopedic surgeries, and lack of a protected workspace just made it impossible for me. The seventies and eighties were the hey day for sailing, I guess partially fueled by the gas crisis we all endured. Lots of home built projects going on as well. In 81 my new bride and I rebuilt a 38’ trimaran and sailing and cruising was our lifestyle. We don’t see that much any more.

"Fling", that sounds familiar and fires a few, long-dormant synapses in the back of my brain.  I bet she sails very nicely to weather, something the newer designs have ceded in the quest for being reaching speedsters.  Why sail to weather at X knots when you can drop down a few degrees and do 2X?

I sailed on an Elvstrom Half Ton, "Different Drummer", a sister ship of Paul Elvstrom's boat that won a world championship.  We won many races on the LIS circuit including Block Island Race Week and the very first "Snoozeday Round LI Race".  

Ah, Block Island Race Week, if I ever get diagnosed with cirrhosis or heptacellular carcinoma, I can only blame the Storm Trysail Club... 

Edited by Roccus7

56 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

"Fling", that sounds familiar and fires a few, long-dormant synapses in the back of my brain.  I bet she sails very nicely to weather, something the newer designs have ceded in the quest for being reaching speedsters.  Why sail to weather at X knots when you can drop down a few degrees and do 2X?

I sailed on an Elvstrom Half Ton, "Different Drummer", a sister ship of Paul Elvstrom's boat that won a world championship.  We won many races on the LIS circuit including Block Island Race Week and the very first "Snoozeday Round LI Race".  

Ah, Block Island Race Week, if I ever get diagnosed with cirrhosis or heptacellular carcinoma, I can only blame the Storm Trysail Club... 

Race Week...... a different booze sponsor every day. I haven’t had a Breton Red Mount Gay hat in decades. Great memories! Thanks!

3 hours ago, Shag said:

Race Week...... a different booze sponsor every day. I haven’t had a Breton Red Mount Gay hat in decades. Great memories! Thanks!

where is the boat and how you transport that ?

9 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

“Different Drummer” sounds familiar as well. Did someone named Ted own it?

5 hours ago, snag777 said:

where is the boat and how you transport that ?

Boat is in Stony Brook, you have to hire a boat hauler to move it to your storage. I would recommend Ralph’s in Mt. Siani.

2 hours ago, Shag said:

“Different Drummer” sounds familiar as well. Did someone named Ted own it?

Ted Naughton from Head of the Harbor, part of the Setauket Yacht Club.  I had an "accident" with a turnbuckle using Different Drummer's "stern head" once, and to this day if I climb aboard, someone will say, "You know, there's still hair on that turnbuckle back there"...

The funniest thing is that I'm an anomaly, in that there are very few dedicated fishermen who also sail.  On one race on a different boat, as we were facing a foul tide in Plum Gut heading west, I looked at the tide and said, "Let's hit the beach"  "WHY??"  "Well we've got 3 kts on our nose right now, go in 200 yds off the beach and we'll have 1.5 kts on our transom."  "It's not on any charts, how do you know?"  "Crap, I flounder fish in here every year and there's a back eddy there, let's head in!"  

We headed in and my memory was correct, to such an effect that boats in the middle of the Gut started flying protest flags.  When the race was over the Protest Committee held a hearing about us "using our engine".  When we walked in, I saw a fishing friend of mine on the committee and he immediately said, "Oh, it's you!  Did you slip into that flounder back eddy you always fish in?"  Protests denied...

On 2/17/2020 at 1:15 PM, wolf107 said:

Interested in the boat where is it located? I’m on SS OF Long Island!

Thanks Wolf

Boat is in Stony Brook, you have to hire a boat hauler to move it to your storage. I would recommend Ralph’s in Mt. Siani.

Looks like the dumpster, scrap
yard, and ....... will house the remains. Not going to move on it, till the first of March. A little painful as I knew the men who Designed, dreamed, built a grassroots competitor on a shoe string budget. But just like us; only memories will prevail.
Roccus 9 great going back over memories of races, racers and watering holes.

Just like the rush of a decent fish sucking up a buck tail in a current, in total darkness. 

The sound of  of ever increasing bow waves slapping across the waterline, as the apparent wind moves up and over my windward face. In moonlit darkness and mastheadlights that look like stars. The boat waltzes along, slightest changes in trim are like a change in retrieve cadence, but may end up with the biggest reward of the night. I’d love to pass it on, but sometimes all great things come to an end. Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Shag