StriperC

Plugs collecting n Feelings about the price of some plugs

8 posts in this topic

Hey everyone collecting has always been a thing I’ve enjoyed doing I started collecting plugs n fishing gear since I was a child I had some very good gems till I lost a lot of stuff when my house got destroyed in Hurricane Sandy. I was wondering what kind of plugs people collect nowadays? I know some of the big names seems like a lot of plugs now have really gotten out of hand with the prices I see out there.. let me know everyone’s feelings about this.. 

Head out to SurfDay next Saturday in Lincroft. You'll see and get to meet some really great plugbuilders including some legends. Mike Fixter will be there and Father and son Musso are usually there. Gary Soldati makes one of the most collected plugs on the market these day, he'll probably sell out in less than an hour. As you know people will collect just about anything. Vintage plugs are still highly sought after and there are a lot of small builders who produce high quality products that combine art and function and sell only at the NY and NJ shows. Take a good look at this forum some of the threads with the most pages will give you an idea of what is collected.

I don't collect or buy plugs anymore but if  I did it would be CCW and Darby Creek. Bill and Ted both make highly functional well-designed and built plugs that are also pieces of art and made in many styles. 

On 2/14/2020 at 8:53 PM, MorningWood said:

Head out to SurfDay next Saturday in Lincroft. You'll see and get to meet some really great plugbuilders including some legends. Mike Fixter will be there and Father and son Musso are usually there. Gary Soldati makes one of the most collected plugs on the market these day, he'll probably sell out in less than an hour. As you know people will collect just about anything. Vintage plugs are still highly sought after and there are a lot of small builders who produce high quality products that combine art and function and sell only at the NY and NJ shows. Take a good look at this forum some of the threads with the most pages will give you an idea of what is collected.

Thanks for the info I have to get out to a show hopefully this year. Haven’t been to many in a few years now... 

26 mins ago, skipperpop425 said:

I have a skippy swimming plug from 2008 that I bought at asbury from skippy. Is it worth any thing?

Depends on the pattern. Put up a picture of it for us. 

i don't collect anymore but for me it was more about the hunt. I've held on to a handful of plugs that will most likely never see the water but that's about it.  It was fun when plug builders only made a limited amount of a particular color scheme because it was to time consuming and those were the ones everyone tried to get. IMO it's not the same when someone puts up the $$$ to have a builder custom paint stuff for them that no one else has. it was much more fun when 1000 people were all after the same 12 plugs.:)

oh and i don't know how nanny times i got a plug in the mail and opened it to make sure it was what i paid for and never looked at it again.