Gloucester2

Tying supplies

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

What's the best online source for supplies these days ?     I don't need anything exotic - just the basics to tie some jigs and teasers for seabass, fluke etc.   I tried Janncraft - but the shipping was stupid . . .     I don't have a local place to go to . . .

I tried the search and it was all over the place - help a brother out     :D

You should consider the Bears Den in Taunton MA. They charge actual shipping for your order and have one of the largest selections of inventory in stock. Some places will show supplies and allow you to buy them but they are not on hand.

I buy from various sources. I'm in the same situation, don't have any store close to me that sells tying supplies. I tie both for freshwater & saltwater use. 

I have bought from those already mentioned, and all have been great.

Have also bought from other online sellers & shops, and been very pleased. I can't think of any that I've had a problem with.

Here's one I have bought from too, an Ebay seller. They have a shop I believe, but I found them on Ebay & that's where I've purchased from. The deer tails I've gotten from them have been good. They're not the longest hair or biggest tails, so if that's what you need, try another source. For smaller stuff, 4" or less,  they're great, especially for the price! This is the Ebay screen name madrivermfg01

Buzzfly in NJ is another good one for better bucktails! He's a commercial tyer and also sells materials. 

7 hours ago, JEFFSOD said:

You should consider the Bears Den in Taunton MA. They charge actual shipping for your order and have one of the largest selections of inventory in stock. Some places will show supplies and allow you to buy them but they are not on hand.

Beware, hen buying on line, it's not uncommon to get poor-midland quality when it comes to natural products. Bears Den is local to me. I'll add that I have NEVER seen a poor quality bucktail ( or any other material for that matter.) Scott, carries nothing but quality and his prices are very fair. 

p.s.  They have their annual show coming up next weekend too.  It's well worth a ride to the store if you can swing it.

Edited by WeeHooker

Road kills. If you travel the same roads each day and see the kill as fresh, cut its tail off. I’ve gotten more deer tails than you can imagine to use in a life time in one winter season. 

Bring it home, skin it back. Nail it to a board and salt it. 

If you know someone that hunts, ask them for tails, feathers or such. A whole pheasant skin will last you years. Have a game farm close buy, see if they have grouse, pheasant or similar.

Eldridge Brothers. Great fly tying and fly fishing shop on Route 1, about 10 miles north of the Kittery Trading Post. I don't think they mail order, but they have just about everything you might need for fly tying and fly fishing.