Paka

Janet Messineo,Casting Into The Light available

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Baxter Memorial Library in Gorham has this book so your local library can get it from them.Just returned it to my library and Baxter should have it back by Monday?

Shes been a fixture on the fishing scene for a while. Even had a chapter written about her in "Reading the Water." Still my favorite saltwater fishing book. Published in the mid 80s but as far as I know its still out of print and has been for a long time. There were rumors of a possible re-issue but not sure if that went anywhere. 

I can reread “Reading the Water” every winter. There are many wonderful books about surf/striped bass fishing but this is one of my favorites. Always available on the bay sight at ridiculous prices but every so often will appear for around 35$ or less.

I live near Roanoke, Virginia and my local county library has this! Something to read while planning for my trip to the Midcoast this summer. Thanks for the post.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Corner of Pattee Road/Seed Street...Who were you? I was a nobody...delivered the Eagle Tribune newspaper along Route 28, Sunny Brook Farms, Butcher Boy and Kachadorian trailer park..   But before I started to deliver newspapers, my neighbors,  Lorraine Sabin (nurse)  and Agnes Seed (cosmotologist), took me under their wing and invited me to fish in their motorboat on Canobie Lake, Lake Massabesic, and some pond in Sandown.  My Dad worked two jobs so these neighbors thought, he did not have much time to spend with me and they stepped in when I was 12 years old. Twice, they took me to the Flower Show in Boston  and of course, what really caught my attention, was the hydroponic Boston lettuce growing in a tank of Tilapia. I became obsessed. Janet Messineo lived one block from my house.  Once I started to deliver newspapers 6 days a week, I rode my bicycle  to North Salem, stayed with my grandparents on Saturdays and in the wee hours of the night, left for Cobbetts Pond in Windham, on my bicycle to fish from a rowboat.  Decades later, 2005- 2012, while working in a secure psych unit in Tewksbury, I started all night fishing on my nights off, from a kayak in New Castle, NH/Kittery, Maine ...and brought the catch to my workmates at the hospital. Most were Kenyans, Ghanians, Americans, and one Moroccan nurse who made fish balls with my mackerel. Before that I thought "gefilte fish" was only a Jewish dish.  I am not a skilled angler, a real hack, now an aged perrenial amateur. On the outgoing tide, I would paddle to the 2KR Buoy, catch mackerel and "live line" one when the tide changed. I hope to relive some of these adventures this year but age is catching up with me.  

Edited by polizonte