Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

NJ Bonus Tag

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, hobobob said:

How does bonus tag work on a party boat. Last fall, boats advertised plenty of bonus tags available .  So they sorta have a "unlimited" supplies?

They're given a fixed number of tags. They are supposed to submit daily logs and weekly reports stating fish caught/tags used.

On 2/14/2020 at 0:48 PM, Drew C. said:

My humble opinion, we all know what they say about those....

that being said, I lived in NJ until 2010. I had a tag probably as long as that program was around. I certainly kept my share of fish in the 90s. Me, the guys I fished with, the guys I knew all had tags. We all used tags to take additional fish and none of ever reported the tag as it was designed. 

it’s a long time ago, I don’t remember what I caught, how many tag fish I kept but it was commonplace to take multiple fish on one tag. We all did it. i know it’s still being done that way currently. 

While fishing various tournaments I kept a decent fish only to catch a bigger one later and kept that one as well. I would then weigh the larger fish in and never report the tag. That might have been during the 2@28” days, might not. I do not ever remember personally keeping 3 fish though but I know many that did. Some guys were still selling in those days, backsdoor to the restaurants. They kept many additional tag fish as well. 

This practice was common and accepted amongst your fishing peers. Younger and dumber days for sure. 

You will rot in hell for what you did. Sell all your gear and remove yourself from the forum you set a bad example for the younger fisherman. 

My goodness. :scared: This guys freezer must be loaded with dead bass 

Someone hold me.

Any idea how the party boats acquire them?  In another thread someone said they get boxes of them.  I do remember the few times I have gone out for stripers the captain always mentioned they had plenty of tags.  This was 10-15 years ago now.  I haven't gone out since.  I plan to try and get a tag and not use it.  It's not much but one less someone can use I guess. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

Any idea how the party boats acquire them?  In another thread someone said they get boxes of them.  I do remember the few times I have gone out for stripers the captain always mentioned they had plenty of tags.  This was 10-15 years ago now.  I haven't gone out since.  I plan to try and get a tag and not use it.  It's not much but one less someone can use I guess. 

Never mind just saw Drews post above. :D

Edited by 40shades-of-blue