Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

NJ Bonus Tag

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fishless said:

We need to raise awareness to flood the system with applications for a tag and just hold it.  It's all I can think of at this point.  We need to try and take control to fix what the commissioners refuse to. 

Is there a limit to the tags allocated?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, b4loran said:

 You sound like an ex smoker, now that you quit being a poacher, lets change the rules.  Everyone knows that there is no enforcement in NJ. If you want to take extra fish what are the chances of being caught? I am 62 and have only had interaction a couple times with game wardens at the dumbest spots, not where you could be doing any harm. The tag will not change the biomass one way or another. 

What did they call it on the menu that they sold the fish to?

 

That was 20+ years ago. I’m sure I cut up some short gut hooked fluke for bait then too....
 

I have no idea what they sold it as but I know guys funded their fishing expenses with their sales. 
 

It’s utter stoooopidity to think that bonus tag won’t have an impact on the stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Some guys were still selling in those days, backsdoor to the restaurants. They kept many additional tag fish as well. 
 

This practice was common and accepted amongst your fishing peers. Younger and dumber days for sure. 

Hasn't it been illegal to sell striped bass in NJ for a loooong time? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Hasn't it been illegal to sell striped bass in NJ for a loooong time? 

Yes.
 

Illegal here in Ct but a local restaurant had fresh day boat bass on the menu two years ago too.

 

I also remember a recipe in the local weekly paper detailing how to go to the local docks and get day boat bass. 


when I worked in a restaurant in my college days we always had tuna and other things come in the back door. I’d say I saw loins on a weekly basis. They were brought in by friends of the chef or owner. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, Drew C. said:

That was 20+ years ago. I’m sure I cut up some short gut hooked fluke for bait then too....
 

I have no idea what they sold it as but I know guys funded their fishing expenses with their sales. 
 

It’s utter stoooopidity to think that bonus tag won’t have an impact on the stock. 

Poachers gonna poach, tag or no tag. You need to stop poaching if you want to change things, not get rid of a tag, but maybe make you feel better. You have many run ins with LEO while fishing? How is that three mile limit working out?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, b4loran said:

Poachers gonna poach, tag or no tag. You need to stop poaching if you want to change things, not get rid of a tag, but maybe make you feel better. You have many run ins with LEO while fishing? How is that three mile limit working out?

 

I’ve kept 1 bass in the last 6 years, 2 in the last 10 and 5 in the last 15 years. 
 

I don’t own a boat. 
 

I wouldn’t need 5 fingers to count the number of times I’ve seen LE while fishing and I’ve never encountered a single one after dark. 
 

plus, going by the accepted data, 9% of my c&r May have died. So in the last 10 years I could also be responsible for close 90 additional dead bass as well. 

Edited by Drew C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I’ve kept 1 bass in the last 6 years, 2 in the last 10 and 5 in the last 15 years. 
 

I don’t own a boat. 
 

I wouldn’t need 5 fingers to count the number of times I’ve seen LE while fishing and I’ve never encountered a single one after dark. 
 

plus, going by the accepted data, 9% of my c&r May have died. So in the last 10 years I could also be responsible for close 90 additional dead bass as well. 

I don't think you understand my post. It was not directed at your fishing, but at poachers. If there is no enforcement, nothing will change. There is no enforcement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, b4loran said:

I don't think you understand my post. It was not directed at your fishing, but at poachers. If there is no enforcement, nothing will change. There is no enforcement. 

Yeah, I missed that. Sorry. 
 

You are unfortunately correct. Again, things that happen at 3am are unseen. I, you, anyone could keep a **** ton of fish then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Drew C. said:

My humble opinion, we all know what they say about those....

 

that being said, I lived in NJ until 2010. I had a tag probably as long as that program was around. I certainly kept my share of fish in the 90s. Me, the guys I fished with, the guys I knew all had tags. We all used tags to take additional fish and none of ever reported the tag as it was designed. 
 

it’s a long time ago, I don’t remember what I caught, how many tag fish I kept but it was commonplace to take multiple fish on one tag. We all did it. i know it’s still being done that way currently. 
 

While fishing various tournaments I kept a decent fish only to catch a bigger one later and kept that one as well. I would then weigh the larger fish in and never report the tag. That might have been during the 2@28” days, might not. I do not ever remember personally keeping 3 fish though but I know many that did. Some guys were still selling in those days, backsdoor to the restaurants. They kept many additional tag fish as well. 
 

This practice was common and accepted amongst your fishing peers. Younger and dumber days for sure. 

 

Wow.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Yes, but who’s gonna know? Things that happen at 3am are essentially unseen. 

Your right, I'm sure it doesn't have to be 3am. I have seen people put the tag in the mouth and out the gill but don't lock it, if they don't get stopped they us it again. :wag:

Edited by Captain Lew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 10:10 AM, Mike said:

As the system works now it's a license to steal. A tag holder can take a fish home and never send in the tag. A boat of 6 guys dock with fish. If they are not checked the tags can be reused. Rinse and repeat every day. 

 

IMO it should be required that the tag be filed out, signed and dated at use. If you get checked with a tag that's not filled out, signed and dated you get a citation same as for not having a tag.

 

What in the hell is a bonus tag? From NY, never heard of such a thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Makoyourday said:

What in the hell is a bonus tag? From NY, never heard of such a thing

NJ ended commercial fishing for bass in their waters in the late 80's or early 90's (I don't remember the actual year). Instead of leaving the commercial quota unused they decided to turn into a 'bonus rec fishery' aka - fish grab. Basically, they just changed who got to kill the fish.

 

There's been several different versions of the program over the years but in short one would send in an application and get a tag that entitled you to an additional bass above and beyond the standard regs. If you were to harvest this fish the tag it was used for was supposed to be reported and taken out of circulation. In some years you could potentially get an additional tag and in others it was one tag/person/year.

 

So, in the end, NJ still utilizes it commercial fishery and therefore still has a commercial fishery for bass.

 

 

 

Edited by Drew C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.