Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

NJ Bonus Tag

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

As the system works now it's a license to steal. A tag holder can take a fish home and never send in the tag. A boat of 6 guys dock with fish. If they are not checked the tags can be reused. Rinse and repeat every day. 

IMO it should be required that the tag be filed out, signed and dated at use. If you get checked with a tag that's not filled out, signed and dated you get a citation same as for not having a tag.

1 min ago, Mike said:

As the system works now it's a license to steal. A tag holder can take a fish home and never send in the tag. A boat of 6 guys dock with fish. If they are not checked the tags can be reused. Rinse and repeat every day. 

IMO it should be required that the tag be filed out, signed and dated at use. If you get checked with a tag that's not filled out, signed and dated you get a citation same as for not having a tag.

Technically, that’s already required but not followed. With the poor level of enforcement it’s a giant free for all. 

NJ is killing more bass this way than they would if they had a traditional comm fishery. 

We need to raise awareness to flood the system with applications for a tag and just hold it.  It's all I can think of at this point.  We need to try and take control to fix what the commissioners refuse to. 

I had asked a member of Jersey Surf Fishing about maybe getting a petition going at the show on 2/22/20 this year for everyone attending to sign to do away with the bonus tag. What do you think?

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, skipperpop425 said:

I had asked a member of Jersey Surf Fishing about maybe getting a petition going at the show on 2/22/20 this year for everyone attending to sign to do away with the bonus tag. What do you think?

Not going to make a difference.  The NJMFC's voted in support of.  Now it goes to the ASMFC.  It will be approved.  I think we need to look beyond that to a next step.  Try to get our hands on those tags thru applying for them.

Edited by fishless

There is nothing to fill out with the bonus tag when you are on the water......it's a medal tag and you have 24 hours to report it. 

This is from the F&W website...."Bonus harvest reporting is mandatory and fish must be reported within 24 hours of harvest via online or by calling 609-748-2074".

BTW, I don't get a bonus tag.

Edited by Captain Lew

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

NJ is killing more bass this way than they would if they had a traditional comm fishery. 

Do you have any way to prove this or is this your humble opinion?

36 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

It's all about the permits and $$$$$ here in Jerzy...….why I won't buy'em…...same as Deer Hunt.

You don't even buy them in NJ,  you just fill out the form and send it in with a self address stamped envelope and they mail you the tag.

I don't use bonus tags.

Edited by Captain Lew

31 mins ago, b4loran said:

Do you have any way to prove this or is this your humble opinion?

My humble opinion, we all know what they say about those....

that being said, I lived in NJ until 2010. I had a tag probably as long as that program was around. I certainly kept my share of fish in the 90s. Me, the guys I fished with, the guys I knew all had tags. We all used tags to take additional fish and none of ever reported the tag as it was designed. 

it’s a long time ago, I don’t remember what I caught, how many tag fish I kept but it was commonplace to take multiple fish on one tag. We all did it. i know it’s still being done that way currently. 

While fishing various tournaments I kept a decent fish only to catch a bigger one later and kept that one as well. I would then weigh the larger fish in and never report the tag. That might have been during the 2@28” days, might not. I do not ever remember personally keeping 3 fish though but I know many that did. Some guys were still selling in those days, backsdoor to the restaurants. They kept many additional tag fish as well. 

This practice was common and accepted amongst your fishing peers. Younger and dumber days for sure. 

42 mins ago, Captain Lew said:

There is nothing to fill out with the bonus tag when you are on the water......it's a medal tag and you have 24 hours to report it. 

This is from the F&W website...."Bonus harvest reporting is mandatory and fish must be reported within 24 hours of harvest via online or by calling 609-748-2074".

BTW, I don't get a bonus tag.

Yes, but who’s gonna know? Things that happen at 3am are essentially unseen. 

8 mins ago, Drew C. said:

My humble opinion, we all know what they say about those....

that being said, I lived in NJ until 2010. I had a tag probably as long as that program was around. I certainly kept my share of fish in the 90s. Me, the guys I fished with, the guys I knew all had tags. We all used tags to take additional fish and none of ever reported the tag as it was designed. 

it’s a long time ago, I don’t remember what I caught, how many tag fish I kept but it was commonplace to take multiple fish on one tag. We all did it. i know it’s still being done that way currently. 

While fishing various tournaments I kept a decent fish only to catch a bigger one later and kept that one as well. I would then weigh the larger fish in and never report the tag. That might have been during the 2@28” days, might not. I do not ever remember personally keeping 3 fish though but I know many that did. Some guys were still selling in those days, backsdoor to the restaurants. They kept many additional tag fish as well. 

This practice was common and accepted amongst your fishing peers. Younger and dumber days for sure. 

You sound like an ex smoker, now that you quit being a poacher, lets change the rules.  Everyone knows that there is no enforcement in NJ. If you want to take extra fish what are the chances of being caught? I am 62 and have only had interaction a couple times with game wardens at the dumbest spots, not where you could be doing any harm. The tag will not change the biomass one way or another. 

What did they call it on the menu that they sold the fish to?

4 mins ago, b4loran said:

You sound like an ex smoker, now that you quit being a poacher, lets change the rules.  Everyone knows that there is no enforcement in NJ. If you want to take extra fish what are the chances of being caught? I am 62 and have only had interaction a couple times with game wardens at the dumbest spots, not where you could be doing any harm. The tag will not change the biomass one way or another. 

What did they call it on the menu that they sold the fish to?

Being able to take more fish wont affect the population?  Thats some funky math.