Sheisty

February 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, fishless said:

Its NJMFC's recommendation to ASMFC.  Assumed it will pass.  This is for the bonus tag only

Gotta give those 24 inch fish their chance to spawn :rolleyes:

1 min ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Gotta give those 24 inch fish their chance to spawn :rolleyes:

A great number of people tried their best to convince the commissioners to suspend the bonus tag program during periods where the species is being over fished.  Unfortunately it fell on deaf ears. 

3 mins ago, fishless said:

A great number of people tried their best to convince the commissioners to suspend the bonus tag program during periods where the species is being over fished.  Unfortunately it fell on deaf ears. 

Yep, I was one of them.  Just highlighting the stupidity 

3 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Yep, I was one of them.  Just highlighting the stupidity 

Its as big of an issue as access.  The big fish were crushed for years to a point where its challenging, or at least not as easy to find em.  So what do our stewards of the fishery do to protect em?  Give everyone with a tag the green light to go after the little guys now.  Genius.  :clap:

And once again with the exception of MD our state looks like the arse clowns of the Striper Coast. 

44 mins ago, MonmouthBomberJA said:

Hey folks. When do flounder turn on in back bays? Kayak fished lots last year for striper, blues and fluke. After many winter upgardes I am itching to get out. Should I look for a water temp?

Haven't chased them in years - 2 fish just isn't worth the effort when the drive is 30 minutes but April used to be my best month for them.

They'll turn on after a few decent days of sun warms up the mud shallows and gets all the critters they like to eat moving around

41 mins ago, fishless said:

The bonus tag system is made up of the quota that went to the commercials. They suspend the tag program and the commercials will try to get it back (and likely succeed) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, Sudsy said:

The bonus tag system is made up of the quota that went to the commercials. They suspend the tag program and the commercials will try to get it back (and likely succeed) 

I don’t buy this.  

“The bonus tag program is suspended indefinitely in order to give the depleted stocks of striped bass a chance to recover.  When that happens, we will reassess the situation and reinstitute the bonus tag program in a similar fashion to its historical use”. 

It’s not like they would do this because it would give them the warm and fuzzies, it would be in response to the reality of the situation.  If they were thinking rationally and suspended the program, why would they irrationally give it to the comm sector? 

Either way, we would only be dealing that if we were dealing with a logical NJMFC

Edited by Bluetaildragger

2 hours ago, fishless said:

Now now, it would be fun if you joined us in the back to kick things off but I know you have your territory and traditions. 

I may lower my standards and join you.

26 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I don’t buy this.  

You don't believe that's where the bonus tag came from ??

Do your research

Just now, Sudsy said:

You don't believe that's where the bonus tag came from ??

Do your research

No, that’s not what I said.  You could read the rest of what I said and you’d see that.  We’re all on the same team here 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gotcha, my bad

They wouldn't do it voluntarily, the comms would force it via lawsuit, and they'd have a legitimate case.

Edited by Sudsy

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Gotcha, my bad

They wouldn't do it voluntarily, the comms would force it via lawsuit, and they'd have a legitimate case.

Didnt CT just volunteer to shut down their bouns?  Why cant NJ do the same?

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Gotcha, my bad

The assessment states a 9% mortality for catch and release fish. In fact mortality is higher than fish kept by recreational fisherman. If the assessment is correct. 

if you are so against keeping a fish you should equally be against catch and release. 

what if a higher % of fish stay offshore more years and only come close some years. 

conditions for reproduction in bays has sucked recently. Things are sometimes cyclical

Fish managers are reducing harvest and taking of larger fish. 

they can’t control mortality from catch and release