Sheisty

February 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, adoboboy said:

What date/week in March did you guys start catching using plugs? It took me until the first week of April. Thanks in advance. 

Was out beginning March 23 using plugs last year and only had a rat in probably 3 sessions until the end of march, first bass with size was April 4th. Seems to be chatter of plug bites last week of March, no luck for me though. 

Edited by joefishnj21

21 hours ago, adoboboy said:

What date/week in March did you guys start catching using plugs? It took me until the first week of April. Thanks in advance. 

I only fish out front, so my comment is limited to that area (Monmouth County). I traditionally do my first cast, with plugs, on St. Paddy's day. I have caught shorts during the last week of March. A couple of years ago, I got 6 or 7 one afternoon  in late March. Interestingly, I caught several shorts over a two week period (last week in March, first week in April) then I got skunked for the next two weeks! Slimmer profile plugs did the trick, along with MC55s homemade swimmers (mostly the white).  With water temps above average for this time of year, it might be an early start.

I started the first week of March last year but it took me a full month until I caught fish. 

33 mins ago, nam1969 said:

I only fish out front, so my comment is limited to that area (Monmouth County). I traditionally do my first cast, with plugs, on St. Paddy's day. I have caught shorts during the last week of March. A couple of years ago, I got 6 or 7 one afternoon  in late March. Interestingly, I caught several shorts over a two week period (last week in March, first week in April) then I got skunked for the next two weeks! Slimmer profile plugs did the trick, along with MC55s homemade swimmers (mostly the white).  With water temps above average for this time of year, it might be an early start.

I started first week of march last year using worms to no avail, then switched to plugs soonafter around mid march. I also think it will be an early start for plugs this year. Will wait for this semi-cold front to pass this weekend then will start heading out. My first fish in April was on a 6 inch ghost mag darter, tried smaller thinner profiled plugs but no takers. 

On 2/14/2020 at 8:14 PM, adoboboy said:

The regulations on Bluefish I'm not clear with, private boat limit is 3, commercial boat is 5, but doesn't say for those fishing from shore. But, I think its a clear win for bluefish, which is a good thing.

Head Boat or Charter is 5 blue fish!

Posted (edited) · Report post

The opening Day for stripers is May 15,2020.   The 

1 hour ago, adoboboy said:

I started the first week of March last year but it took me a full month until I caught fish. 

I started first week of march last year using worms to no avail, then switched to plugs soonafter around mid march. I also think it will be an early start for plugs this year. Will wait for this semi-cold front to pass this weekend then will start heading out. My first fish in April was on a 6 inch ghost mag darter, tried smaller thinner profiled plugs but no takers. 

You won't be able to fish for striped bass in Raritan Bay/Sandy Hook Bay and the Jersey Shore till May 15, 2020.  The Slot  and the opening date is to let the mature Female Striped Bass move up the Hudson to hatch their eggs in Mid May.

The Striped Bass you will be catching after May 15, 2020 will be Post Spawn ladies leaving the Hudson River to move up to New England and feed in Raritan Bay and along the Jersey Coast!

Edited by RJ

15 mins ago, RJ said:

The opening Day for stripers is May 15,2020.   The 

You won't be able to fish for striped bass in Raritan Bay/Sandy Hook Bay and the Jersey Shore till May 15, 2020.  The Slot  and the opening date is to let the mature Female Striped Bass move up the Hudson to hatch their eggs in Mid May.

The Striped Bass you will be catching after May 15, 2020 will be Post Spawn ladies leaving the Hudson River to move up to New England and feed in Raritan Bay and along the Jersey Coast!

I may have missed this, but are the regs going to be no fishing "out front" until May 15 or does it apply only to river and bays?

Did I miss something in the new regs? I believe the May 15 date only applied to the bonus tag program starting...

Dates & regs don't matter for some! >

Conservation Police Officers conducted multiple boat patrols last November and December in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) where fishing for, taking and possession of striped bass is unlawful. On each of these patrols CPOs encountered numerous recreational fishermen fishing for and/or in possession of striped bass as far as 10 nautical miles inside the closed area. CPOs Raker, Tomlin, Meyer and Sloan processed several cases where fishermen attempted to evade apprehension by discarding dead striped bass upon the officer’s approach and had multiple instances where boaters attempted to elude apprehension by leaving the area at high speed. Many fishermen were apprehended with as many as eight striped bass in possession. The cases were referred to National Marine Fisheries Service for enforcement action. The fine for possession of striped bass in the EEZ is $500 per fish for the first offense and the fines are as high as $10,000 for Federal interference and making false statements to an authorized officer.

7 mins ago, Bob S. said:

Did I miss something in the new regs? I believe the May 15 date only applied to the bonus tag program starting...

Yup!

22 mins ago, Bob S. said:

Correct.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:52 AM, JJ2602 said:

Took a walk on the beach @ high tide this am. As expected no action yet but the weather was great. 

F366368D-1C79-4662-BFD6-07A2B8961EE9.jpeg

That's the rock pile off Cottage street isnt it? :(

Does anyone have a link to an official listing of the new regulations, I can’t seem to find it anywhere. I’m going to make laminated signs and post them up at the popular spots in English and Spanish. It might not do much, but if someone who isn’t internet savvy, or just claims they haven’t heard (when they have) sees it, it might prevent some amount of poaching.

29 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

Does anyone have a link to an official listing of the new regulations, I can’t seem to find it anywhere. I’m going to make laminated signs and post them up at the popular spots in English and Spanish. It might not do much, but if someone who isn’t internet savvy, or just claims they haven’t heard (when they have) sees it, it might prevent some amount of poaching.

Not P C . That would be Hispanic & undocumented fishing!