Drew C.

NJ - the kill'em all state: 24-38" for Bass

Rate this topic

277 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Drew C. said:

............ Get your bonus tag and you can keep an unlimited number of prespawn fish!..........

 

This is simply not true.

 

10 hours ago, Drew C. said:

You can keep an unlimited number of fish with the tag. ...........

 

Without question, not true.

 

10 hours ago, Goldy said:

The way bonus tag worked in the past is one per angler and you had to send the tag in once caught. 

 

You don't send the tag in.  You register it's use online, and apply for another while you're at it.

 

10 hours ago, Drew C. said:

stop with that. No one does that. They reuse the tags, always have, always will. 

 

The old tags, which were simply printouts, could be reused.  The new tags are metal, and once used, that's it.

 

10 hours ago, fishless said:

In theory that's how it is designed to work.  How it really works is the fish are tossed on deck and tags are not actually used unless there is the possibility of the boat being checked.  Boat goes unchecked, tags go unused and saved for the next trip. 

 

This only occurs because the state is unwilling to make the penalty for improper use of a tag so horrific that no one would dare try it.

 

Make the fine for not properly affixing a tag the loss of fishing privileges for a year or five, and it simply wouldn't be worth the risk.

 

10 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Absolutely how it works. The tags get reused multiple times.............

 

Metal tags cannot be reused.  Once affixed, that's it.

 

7 hours ago, Drew C. said:

..............when I lived in NJ I had a tag and everyone that I knew had a tag. We would get them every single year. They lived in the truck, if you caught your tag fish you kept the fish and held on to the tag for another fish. .......

 

Whether it's the old paper printout (ripe for abuse, easily),  the red "zip tie" tag from a couple years ago, or the new metal tag, it must be filled out or snapped in place IMMEDIATELY upon harvesting the fish.

 

If you had a slot fish in your possession, and the tag was not already filled out when you were checked, without question you could/would get fined for improper use of a tag and fined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

 

This is simply not true.

 

 

Without question, not true.

 

 

You don't send the tag in.  You register it's use online, and apply for another while you're at it.

 

 

The old tags, which were simply printouts, could be reused.  The new tags are metal, and once used, that's it.

 

 

This only occurs because the state is unwilling to make the penalty for improper use of a tag so horrific that no one would dare try it.

 

Make the fine for not properly affixing a tag the loss of fishing privileges for a year or five, and it simply wouldn't be worth the risk.

 

 

Metal tags cannot be reused.  Once affixed, that's it.

 

 

Whether it's the old paper printout (ripe for abuse, easily),  the red "zip tie" tag from a couple years ago, or the new metal tag, it must be filled out or snapped in place IMMEDIATELY upon harvesting the fish.

 

If you had a slot fish in your possession, and the tag was not already filled out when you were checked, without question you could/would get fined for improper use of a tag and fined.

All of that only exists in a perfect world where everyone is honest. In reality guys are going to keep that tag in their pocket until they see the environmental police approaching them. Then they’ll put the tag on the fish. If there’s no police threat than the tag never goes on and the whole process is repeated the next trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, z-man said:

All of that only exists in a perfect world where everyone is honest. In reality guys are going to keep that tag in their pocket until they see the environmental police approaching them. Then they’ll put the tag on the fish. If there’s no police threat than the tag never goes on and the whole process is repeated the next trip. 

 

One of our CO's down here has a little white Parker with no marks on it.  He hides in the marsh and comes out of nowhere.  It's great.

 

We also have a CO who in the past literally hid at the marina, targeted specific boats, and just popped out of nowhere as we were docking.

 

Maybe he only catches 1 out of a 1,000, but if what happens to that one is horrific enough, word will get out, and the BS will stop.

 

Everyone is focusing on how to beat getting caught, but I think the answer is to focus on the horror that should when you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, z-man said:

All of that only exists in a perfect world where everyone is honest. In reality guys are going to keep that tag in their pocket until they see the environmental police approaching them. Then they’ll put the tag on the fish. If there’s no police threat than the tag never goes on and the whole process is repeated the next trip. 

Therein lies the issue. Fishermen. No one to blame but ourselves. As others have done, because of family, work, etc I don't get to the beach much anymore.  Less then a dozen times a year. There's other fish i target.  

 

Stevie wonder could see that rec boats, private boats, **** keeping multiple cows every season for 15-20 years would have an impact.  Just because the regs say you can keep a big fish doesn't mean you have too.  

WE created this.  

I'd like to see the same concern/anger for bluefish but no one cares about them. Where did they go?  

Any correlation with the disappearance of them and bass? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Bass regs are effectively 24-38" for the great state of NJ. Bonus tag of 24-28, then 28-38". Get your bonus tag and you can keep an unlimited number of prespawn fish!

 

Between the greed of NJ and the incompetence and corruption at the ASMFC - bass are screwed.

 

Your off base on this one. I know what u think when ur looking on paper at the regs and the image from afar in terms of the population of fishermen etc...and I will give credit to your argument in terms of the number of North Jersey Joes who take charter boats out in Jersey waters to

slaughter fish once or twice a year, that crap makes my skin crawl too. 
 

But ultimately, I’d point the blame to further south in Maryland and further north to Mass. Both these states have a commercial fishery for striped bass. In Maryland, having a commercial fishery for that fish in its largest and most important breeding waters is a joke not to mention the recreation catch regs. Mass also not only has a commercial season on the fish there, but if I have to read about about one more poacher at the CCC I’m gonna puke. Surprised people aren’t hand catching fish up there at that gauntlet firing line of a body of water. 
 

I mean this disagreement in all due respect but i really hope you took these factors into account. I split time in Jersey and Maryland. I very rarely fish the Chesapeake Bay cause it ain’t my type of fishing, but i can tell you just from living down there and doing a lot of waterfowl hunting on the Eastern Shore I know the way it is with that state and the waterman community. It’s a joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

Got to wonder how many of the 27g tags New Jersey guys get are immediately attached to a bonus fish. I'm gonna guess 3.

I think you may be 2 to high.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

 

This is simply not true.

 

 

Without question, not true.

 

 

You don't send the tag in.  You register it's use online, and apply for another while you're at it.

 

 

The old tags, which were simply printouts, could be reused.  The new tags are metal, and once used, that's it.

 

 

This only occurs because the state is unwilling to make the penalty for improper use of a tag so horrific that no one would dare try it.

 

Make the fine for not properly affixing a tag the loss of fishing privileges for a year or five, and it simply wouldn't be worth the risk.

 

 

Metal tags cannot be reused.  Once affixed, that's it.

 

 

Whether it's the old paper printout (ripe for abuse, easily),  the red "zip tie" tag from a couple years ago, or the new metal tag, it must be filled out or snapped in place IMMEDIATELY upon harvesting the fish.

 

If you had a slot fish in your possession, and the tag was not already filled out when you were checked, without question you could/would get fined for improper use of a tag and fined.

You’re incredibly naive or ignorant if you think that’s how it works. Add in the complete lack of enforcement and it’s even worse.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Frank5 said:

Your off base on this one. I know what u think when ur looking on paper at the regs and the image from afar in terms of the population of fishermen etc...and I will give credit to your argument in terms of the number of North Jersey Joes who take charter boats out in Jersey waters to

slaughter fish once or twice a year, that crap makes my skin crawl too. 
 

But ultimately, I’d point the blame to further south in Maryland and further north to Mass. Both these states have a commercial fishery for striped bass. In Maryland, having a commercial fishery for that fish in its largest and most important breeding waters is a joke not to mention the recreation catch regs. Mass also not only has a commercial season on the fish there, but if I have to read about about one more poacher at the CCC I’m gonna puke. Surprised people aren’t hand catching fish up there at that gauntlet firing line of a body of water. 
 

I mean this disagreement in all due respect but i really hope you took these factors into account. I split time in Jersey and Maryland. I very rarely fish the Chesapeake Bay cause it ain’t my type of fishing, but i can tell you just from living down there and doing a lot of waterfowl hunting on the Eastern Shore I know the way it is with that state and the waterman community. It’s a joke. 

Stop blaming the commercials for this issue. 90% of Bass mortality is rec generated. We are the problem. 
 

also, NJ utilizes it’s commercial quota - therefore NJ has a commercial fishery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I think you may be 2 to high.

 

Sad but true. 
 

if there’s not an issue with out of staters getting tags I’m going to try to get as many as possible - my dogs want some bonus tags too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is on the NJ's SBBP page...

 

"PARTY/CHARTER BOATS

Applications are not being accepted for 2020.

The Party/Charter Boat (PCBT) facet of the SBBP reopened on September 1, 2019. Data collected from this program has proved invaluable for managing striped bass. Qualified PCBTs will be issued a limited number of permits allowing customers to keep one Bonus Fish from 24" to less than 28". Only one permit may be issued to a customer per day.

PCBTs will be required to submit mandatory daily logbooks of their striped bass catch and will also be required to provide mandatory weekly reports of striped bass bonus harvest in order to ensure the quota is not exceeded. Complete instructions are below and will be provided with permits."

 

In theory, should these be available for review in some way? All the party and charter boats are submitting accurate logs and reports, right?

 

It would be nice if this info was available to the general public...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Everyone saying that this is better than the old regs is speaking in terms of just this year, I have noticed.  It's sad that the plan is only this year, rather than a long-term comprehensive plan.  But I guess that takes more brain cells than are available to the regulatory groups.

 

What I mean but this is that we are currently protecting the big breeders.  We are also now targeting and slaughtering the pre-spawn fish.  Many many fish, perhaps the majority, will die before having a chance to breed.  Where does that leave us long term?  To me it looks like after the few big breeders that are left today die off from catch and release and predation, there's no fish to replenish the population.  It could not be more short sighted and pathetic.  

Agreed.... If we MUST kill Striped Bass, it makes more sense to me to take only the fewer big fish that have already bred many times rather than the more plentiful smaller slot fish that haven’t had a chance to breed yet. If I could only take a 38”+ fish, I wouldn’t have had a keeper in the last couple of years and I fish over 100 outings a season. One big fish regulation would make it much easier to spot poaching as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Stop blaming the commercials for this issue. 90% of Bass mortality is rec generated. We are the problem. 
 

also, NJ utilizes it’s commercial quota - therefore NJ has a commercial fishery.

Where u getting the numbers on how many fish

are being taken by abusing the bonus tag? If it

were up to me there would be a complete no

keep enacted,so believe me I am by no stretch

in favor of the program. How can u compare the

numbers to a NJ commercial fishery catch rate,

when there isn't a number? Just because u fished

w a bunch of scumbag poachers in the 80's,dont

throw us all under the same bus. Admittedly,i only

fish w a handful of guys, but not one of us has abused

the asinine tag. How do u no what so many guys r doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now