Drew C.

NJ - the kill'em all state: 24-38" for Bass

Rate this topic

259 posts in this topic

24-27.99” fish are dead easy to catch. Guys will kill the **** out of those fish. Tags will be used many times over. 

And NJ increased the length of time for their bonus tag season too!

can you say corruption?

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

There's no commercial in Ct.

How does Jersey explain that this is somehow equivalent?

Because CT suspended its bonus tag program, and now its commercial quota will go unused.

24 mins ago, lureman said:

i agree with you , a 1000%....with Jersey, corrupt politicians.. they suck, but on the flip side , i can't believe what i see and happens in the state of Mass.,,,,with stripers on the decline, two days a week , you are allowed to keep big spawning fish, to sell, LOL, and guys keep MORE than they are allowed......the greed for the $$$$....

You cannot legally sell a striped bass in any state which allows commercial fishing unless you have a tag to attach to the carcass, so unless you're talking about back of the restaurant type poachers, no commercial fisherman is keeping more then they are allowed.

Well I know of at least 3 bonus tags that will be purchased with the intent of keeping them  away from someone that’ll abuse it. Hate the fact that money goes to the state but I’d rather know those three tags will attempt to keep 3 slot fish alive. Have to love abusing a resource and being completely shocked when it disappears. Curious how the for hires  are planning on adapting to dogfish and sea robin in the near future  

3 mins ago, nfd27 said:

Well I know of at least 3 bonus tags that will be purchased with the intent of keeping them  away from someone that’ll abuse it.

None of us is guaranteed we will get one but we can apply and hope to snag one.  Unless you know something I'm not aware of.

Just now, fishless said:

None of us is guaranteed we will get one but we can apply and hope to snag one.  Unless you know something I'm not aware of.

That’s is under the impression that all three are awarded. I was told it’s not extremely difficult but we’ll see. 

1 min ago, nfd27 said:

That’s is under the impression that all three are awarded. I was told it’s not extremely difficult but we’ll see. 

Good to hear.  I like your optimism.  This needs to be a movement in force.  A borderline crusade if you will.

52 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Absolutely not. 

Last year You could keep two fish and kill breeders.

• One fish 28" to less than 43" AND one fish 43" or greater

And the bonus tags were in place for a shorter season.

• One fish per permit 24" to less than 28"
  • September 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019

This year

one fish at 28 to <35

and the extended bonus program.

I know every one is worried about the 2015 fish but not killing the big breeders  is a win in my opinion. Most people will not take the time to participate in the bonus program.  I believe the party boats use a majority of the bonus tags. Most of the boats I know of start targeting Sea bass and fluke in may. I don't envision summer time striper party boat trips. I could be wrong. 

If you had your choice of a fish to protect would you protect the bigger fish that drop more eggs and have already proven them selves to be genetically superior from an evolutionary stand point or do you protect the small fish?

If you had to choose on march 1st to kill 5,000 fish over 35 inches  or 5,000 fish under 35? Which would you choose?

I think I would take killing the smaller fish with the. hopes that the bigger fish could spawn and improve the population.

Unfortunately we may have pushed the over 35 inch fish population to the brink. Only time will tell. 

Edited by crazybellringer

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

You might not like it but it is an improvement over the existing regulations. 

That's what I was thinking.

A 10lb to 25lb slot limit.....how is that not a good thing.....

Just now, scoobydoo said:

That's what I was thinking.

A 10lb to 25lb slot limit.....how is that not a good thing.....

For years people have been screaming protect the big breeders. Now it looks like that may happen. it might be too late but it's happening.