Drew C.

NJ - the kill'em all state: 24-38" for Bass

Rate this topic

257 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Ct can only say that this year. Prior, Ct had a tag too. 

at least they did the right thing and stopped it. 

I thought Ct's tag was just for the river?

39 mins ago, Goldy said:

Still no one answered commercial fishing in ny conn ccc.  No size limits. 

Not quite right.

NY commercials fish on a 28-38 inch slot.  That might become a 26-38" slot this year because the commercial fishery did not fill about half of its tags in 2019.

CT has no commercial fishery.  It did have a bonus tag program, but was responsible enough to terminate it given the poor health of the stock.

In the Cape Cod Canal, commercials will have a 35" minimum size, I believe a 2-fish per day bag limit for commercials fishing from shore, and can only fish on a few days each week--which don't include weekends.

In New Jersey, it appears that the bonus program will be expanded, beginning on May15 instead of in September, which will give NJ anglers double the chance to kill the immature females of the 2015 year class; instead of taking them only in the fall, now they'll be able to kill them in the spring as well.

1 min ago, CWitek said:

Not quite right.

NY commercials fish on a 28-38 inch slot.  That might become a 26-38" slot this year because the commercial fishery did not fill about half of its tags in 2019.

CT has no commercial fishery.  It did have a bonus tag program, but was responsible enough to terminate it given the poor health of the stock.

In the Cape Cod Canal, commercials will have a 35" minimum size, I believe a 2-fish per day bag limit for commercials fishing from shore, and can only fish on a few days each week--which don't include weekends.

In New Jersey, it appears that the bonus program will be expanded, beginning on May15 instead of in September, which will give NJ anglers double the chance to kill the immature females of the 2015 year class; instead of taking them only in the fall, now they'll be able to kill them in the spring as well.

Yeah i dont like the open season bonus tag in may. Thats dumb

but the ccc min 35” is so dumb

So effectively the ASMFC and the state’s most likely to meddle with success did just about nothing for striped bass in this whole mess? Possibly made things worse? Even after, from what I understand, most people voiced their opinion against this stupidity?

Just because that bozo Pote from NJ told me to call him anytime I like, I’ll be calling him back regarding this and being a lot less respectful to him and his state, while that won’t do a thing for our bass or other fishery, it seems like he’d be a good whipping post for frustration since he was so adamant about how great NJ is at regulating just about everything and how important HE was in making the EEZ a no kill zone. 

Sad to say but  the only thing that will save these fish is another moratorium in my opinion.

I liked when the limit was one at 36" long ago. They were coming back strong and then everybody got greedy. Yes NJ is bad but everyone has their share of blame. I wish the bonus would go away too

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Still no one answered commercial fishing in ny conn ccc.  No size limits. 

As has been discussed a million times here before, commercial fishing as a whole accounts for such a low percentage of striped bass fishing mortality, it is negligible. Obviously, that doesn't stop Jersey from using it is as an excuse to kill as much bass as possible, but it's a completely illogical argument.

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Bass regs are effectively 24-38" for the great state of NJ. Bonus tag of 24-28, then 28-38". Get your bonus tag and you can keep an unlimited number of prespawn fish!

Between the greed of NJ and the incompetence and corruption at the ASMFC - bass are screwed.

i agree with you , a 1000%....with Jersey, corrupt politicians.. they suck, but on the flip side , i can't believe what i see and happens in the state of Mass.,,,,with stripers on the decline, two days a week , you are allowed to keep big spawning fish, to sell, LOL, and guys keep MORE than they are allowed......the greed for the $$$$....

42 mins ago, CWitek said:

Not quite right.

Gee, what a surprise. All those rats and schoolies from the last couple of years around NY/LI are doomed. I've been saying it for a couple of years: just a matter of time for them to be all taken too. Sooner rather than later. :mad:

Between that and N.J. it looks hopeless at this point in my view to ever get back to what was accomplished in the late 80's/early 90's. :cry:

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

stop with that. No one does that. They reuse the tags, always have, always will. 

Just more bull**** from the NJ ASMFC contingent. I don't think it's official but there is mathematically no way to justify even the 2nd fish much less killing the undersized fish.