Drew C.

NJ - the kill'em all state: 24-38" for Bass

Rate this topic

258 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

FWIW, I don't think these regs will make the difference everyone wants to see/experience. It's all smoke and mirrors.  Have to cut back on targeting them and these regs just aren't meant to have that effect.

I fear that you're right.

I think that the only way we're going to see a meaningful mortality cut on the coast is if the lack of fish disgust enough people, they don't go out as often--if at all--and the overall reduction in effort leads to a reduction in catch.

Because as it turned out, Addendum VI isn't likely to get it done on its own.

24 mins ago, CWitek said:

I fear that you're right.

I think that the only way we're going to see a meaningful mortality cut on the coast is if the lack of fish disgust enough people, they don't go out as often--if at all--and the overall reduction in effort leads to a reduction in catch.

Because as it turned out, Addendum VI isn't likely to get it done on its own.

Correct me if I'm not understanding . . . the 18% reduction is based on uniform compliance of all ASMFC states.  With that, each state my have more or less of a reduction with some states like NJ reducing their catch significantly more than, let's say, Maine.  With NJ coming up with their own CE to acheive 18%, that would essentially skew the overall 18% and make it near impossible to acheive?  In other words, NJ needs to have more than an 18% reduction as NJ harvests more stripers than many other states?