Drew C.

NJ - the kill'em all state: 24-38" for Bass

Rate this topic

255 posts in this topic

Bass regs are effectively 24-38" for the great state of NJ. Bonus tag of 24-28, then 28-38". Get your bonus tag and you can keep an unlimited number of prespawn fish!

Between the greed of NJ and the incompetence and corruption at the ASMFC - bass are screwed.

You can only get one bonus tag per person. Nj has no commercial and they basically give the bonus tags to the boats. 

i do not understand why we cant be. 28-35”

but regardless we have no commercial striped bass. What are the commercial striped pass for ny/mass/conn???

22 mins ago, Goldy said:

You can only get one bonus tag per person. Nj has no commercial and they basically give the bonus tags to the boats. 

i do not understand why we cant be. 28-35”

but regardless we have no commercial striped bass. What are the commercial striped pass for ny/mass/conn???

You can keep an unlimited number of fish with the tag. 

And NJ does have a commercial fishery- it’s the bonus tag fishery and it actually worse than having a commercial fishery. At least commercial would have a hard quota. But the bonus tag - it’s the gift that keeps on giving the whole year!

the developing crash - proudly brought to you by NJ and the asmfc!

Edited by Drew C.

The 28 to 38 with a bonus tag is complete ****.  This mindset is what got us here in the first place.  They are basically giving all of us a big FU.

Believe me, I like regs as much as the next guy but the problem is most people cannot police themselves and without reasonable restrictive measures in place, these fish will continue to decline like they have for over 10 years now.  This is the main reason why fish over 30" are so uncommon now.  That was exactly how it was when I was a kid fishing in the 80s.  A 30" bass was a sight to see because you hardly ever saw any from the beach.  

3 mins ago, Goldy said:

The way bonus tag worked in the past is one per angler and you had to send the tag in once caught. 

stop with that. No one does that. They reuse the tags, always have, always will. 

Can someone explain what the bonus tag program is? Do you purchase the tag? Then catch as much as you would like within the range?

Isn't the 38 inch max limit for the slot good? That way if someone does keep one its not one of the cows that supposedly can produce 1000000000000 eggs?