ASrod

Chesapeake Bay Lure Selection 2020

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

What kind of lures do you guys plan on trying to gain more confidence in this upcoming season? I got for one would like to start producing more on metal lips, darters and needlefish plugs and gain more general knowledge about the area that I’m fishing.

How about you guys? The Chesapeake area fishermen are seriously lacking on this site....

Edited by ASrod

Darters and metal lips for sure. I also want to use some smaller rebel style swimmers and peanut swimmers for the back bays down in southern VA.

My goal is to start doing some serious topwater work in the end of summer and through the fall.  For mid summer I will be focusing on trolling for Spanish Macs, assuming they come up to the bridge this year.  The spring and early summer will be scouting spots.

-Andrew

It depends a lot on exactly where you're fishing. I didn't get to the coast a lot, and even when I did, they were not the best choice. So, since I had them, used the big wood lures in the bay, and from a boat. That was usually more so when the fish were close to the surface but not on top. I never had any success from the shore with them. 

Otherwise, all the typical plastic baits, and smaller lures like the Rebels, Red Fin's,Yozuri's and others would work. Also tossed bucktails & spoons. When they would hit topwaters, poppers, spooks, and even buzzbaits would work.  I really never found many brands or models that wouldn't catch some fish if used in the right place. 

I used to fish up in the Susquehanna with a buddy, and we tossed the big pencils there sometimes and had success. Many times we caught Stripers there while fishing for bass, and bass while targeting Stripers. 

A lot of the fishing I did was on the eastern shore in the smaller  Dorchester Co rivers. Also fished in the Honga & Fishing Bay. I used the same types of smaller lures, and fly tackle. The majority of fish hooked were schoolie size. 

Several times we even hooked Stripers while fishing for panfish on the safety pin type spinner & plastic combinations. So, it depends on where you're fishing what might be the best choice if you want to target the Stripers. 

If you want to target other fish, you've got to be where they are. For several years my family chartered a boat out of Chesapeake Beach each summer. We fished for Blues, Spanish & whatever was there at the time. I have fished with friends in that area of the bay too. We chased Spanish with spoons mostly, but have caught them on fly tackle. 

The Chesapeake is a diverse fishery, but you have to be in the right place & right time, then choose your lures accordingly. 

I’m North bay from the susquehanna (conowingo dam) to flats beginning of season and use plastic shads on jigheads and bucktails. After sunset I’ll throw some black plastic eels or long earthworms on jigheads in the rotation until they turn on. After mid June I travel from there down to the Potomac and add plugs and broken backs to it. The one thing I notice that changes from region to region is the color scheme. North bay is more natural bait coloring where mid bay ES/Potomac is not.