Wire For Fire

Etex sealing and finish weight

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Instead of hijacking the other thread , figured it was worth it own .. 

harbor freight cheapo scale but seams pretty accurate..  a bill is gram even so that’s  that , couldn’t ask for more then that .. woods western red cedar by the way which is definitely a factor .. mahogany or hard maple the amount of weight added in the sealing will most likely be less .. one for next time 

plug pre epoxy  .938oz ... it’s been heated and  well smeared and wiped down  and Inside cleared .. tomorrow after work I weigh again .. 

then will paint and weigh , then 2 coats of epoxy and weigh again  ..  should be a nice learning experience 

050C5AE9-B914-4087-9DDB-D9A2717516B4.jpeg

F080F013-9DB0-4C9E-87CF-3DD51D9DA972.jpeg

Edited by Wire For Fire

Your going to have to test the epoxy plug if it adds too much weight your going to have to adjust the body ( fater) to float more or less tail weight it’s a process to find what you want

Edited by stripercrazy

9 hours ago, stripercrazy said:

Your going to have to test the epoxy plug if it adds too much weight your going to have to adjust the body ( fater) to float more or less tail weight it’s a process to find what you want

9 hours ago, stripercrazy said:

Red ceder will float very good 

Yea I’m semi new to building and still finding my way but I’ve had some good help so I’m getting there . And yes love the cedar for top waters , can take a lot of lead , easy to work , looks and smells amazing ..  a lot of the pencils I been making are very weighted for long cast and been having decent success with getting them to pencil nice .. 

9 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

So, we get that $20 if we guess the weight post-seal epoxy?

my guess is 1.15oz.

Is there an over/under?

lol your prob close . We shall see later on tonight 

30 mins ago, stripercrazy said:

Body looks good

Thanks I been messing with wide variety of shapes , lengths , weights wood types ..  so far the the lil fatter cedar pencils are shining .. I don’t wanna say copied , but inspired by big Fischer’s pencils , which are some easy to work great casting pencils 

9FEC8904-D30E-46EC-AD27-3E2116CE309E.jpeg

E3633D76-A483-4C06-A0D7-975A0FD939D4.jpeg

So turns out less then I thought .. call it 6/100 of an oz... I’m saying the weight added is minimal compared to the benefits of nice epoxy impregnated piece of wood 

9B6DD79E-EF42-4AA1-9066-33E7B811A568.jpeg

Edited by Wire For Fire

whoa, I was way off in my guess.

I strongly advise writing or photo documenting everything you're learning here. And if I followed my own advice I'd have fewer duds. The worst is taking good notes, and then when I go to build the same plug a couple years later, not being able to find those notes in the clutter I call my workshop

Always good to see someone grab the ball and run with it. We all benefit.

Your results using the scientific method kind of match up with what I thought was the case, that the thin layer of epoxy used to seal is not a big weight penalty.

I'm looking forward to see what the topcoat results look like. On a pencil shape, any weight gain might have limited effect on action, swimmers may be different, but it's all good.

That's a nicely finished plug blank you got there, no tear out, no sanding marks, nice radius on the sharp corners, and no splintering on the belly hole. Good test piece.

You've got my interest as well. 

One of my standard plugs has to sit just right in the water, had a few that some extra paint and epoxy was enough to mess up. Always meant to figure out this epoxy / paint weight thing, never did.

Two things I did learn:

1. Don't lock the weight in until the very end so you can shave a bit off if necessary.

2. When you float them put enough kosher salt into the water to roughly equate the specific gravity of seawater (1.025). You can get an aquarium hydrometer for $10 to measure. Made a run of pencils with Gary many years ago, floated them in fresh water in a 5 gal bucket to adjust the tail weight - complete and utter fail !

610y151-AhL._AC_SL1000_.jpg