fishfinder

Local bait and tackle price matching?

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2020 at 11:17 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Well yeah, there will honestly be a few bad vendors in any industry but it also falls on the consumer to at the very least do the bare minimum research before they make a purchase.

Except one of the arguments for going to the local shop is that the owner will, in effect, be a big part of that research, asking you about what you plan to do so that he can find something that meets your needs at a price point that reflects what you're willing to spend.

 

If the consumer has to rely on his own research, he might as well buy on line, too.l

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, CWitek said:

Except one of the arguments for going to the local shop is that the owner will, in effect, be a big part of that research, asking you about what you plan to do so that he can find something that meets your needs at a price point that reflects what you're willing to spend.

 

If the consumer has to rely on his own research, he might as well buy on line, too.l

Well as I stated there will be a few bad vendors, call them exceptions to the rule and no I don't and wouldn't support them. However you'd be crazy to discount informed local knowledge which is what the good shops out there can and will provide. Doing your own research means having some idea of what you want and then allowing the shop to help fine tune your purchase. It also allows you to distinguish between the good shops and the bad shops.

If you have no idea about what your talking about how will you know if your in a bad shop looking to take advantage of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Sandbar1 said:

Well as I stated there will be a few bad vendors, call them exceptions to the rule and no I don't and wouldn't support them. However you'd be crazy to discount informed local knowledge which is what the good shops out there can and will provide. Doing your own research means having some idea of what you want and then allowing the shop to help fine tune your purchase. It also allows you to distinguish between the good shops and the bad shops.

If you have no idea about what your talking about how will you know if your in a bad shop looking to take advantage of you.

Again, that's my point.  A lot of shops will take advantage of you.  Not all, but a lot.

 

I've walked into far too many shops for the first time, when people didn't know me, looking for a particular item that another shop didn't have.  And when they didn't have it either, and I turned to walk out, they inevitably try to sell me something else, telling me how it was better than what I was looking for, that I really ought to buy it, etc.  Pretty clear that they were just trying to make sure that I didn't walk out of the shop empty-handed.

 

And I can't help recalling the shop that I worked in for many eyars when I was young.  OK, the owner was a hungry SOB whose only moral code was to make as much for himself as he could, and honesty or propriety be damned, and you can well say that he was an exception (although my experience has convinced me otherwise).  But I still remember how, when the weekly newspaper call came in looking for fishing reports, he'd think of an item gathering dust on the wall and tell the reporter that it was the "hot" lure; people would come in looking for it, he'd unload his inventory, then look for another way to con his customers (and yes, if you asked the owner, fishing was never bad; it got to the point that customers would wait for me to wait on them, because I was on the water just about every day and told them what was really going on, and told them what was actually going on, and what was working on the time--which was usually one of a very few things that they had probably already purchased, and then the owner would unload on me for nut pushing more crap--and I use that word intentionally--out the door).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CWitek said:

But I still remember how, when the weekly newspaper call came in looking for fishing reports, he'd think of an item gathering dust on the wall and tell the reporter that it was the "hot" lure; people would come in looking for it.

 

I did this once as a "service to my B&T" on LI.  I walked in one day with a large bass to get it weighed and the place was quite crowded.  Immediately the shouts of "What did you catch that on" started so I gave a quick glance on the wall for the most dust encrusted striper lure card and quickly pointed to that.  The inventory was gone in a NY second.  In fairness, the lure was a decent striper lure, an old classic which few people were using at that time, but it was not the lure I caught the fish on.  

 

My "faux pas" did not go unnoticed.  When the crowd abated I told the owner I needed some large sand worms to troll for weakfish and he told me to into the cooler and pick my own...

 

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look Fishfinder.......I got on this thread late and not going to read every post......but why not go to your favorite B & T and say hey,I would love to buy that VanStal from you but Amazon has it for this , can you come down a little and I will purchase it. Coming in and saying match it or I am buying online is unreasonable for the local shop. I have done this several times advising I am looking to buy this reel but the guy down the street has it for x, I would rather purchase from you and he said sure. Granted this is one local shop from another, not Amazon. 

Next time, ask Amazon how the fishing is...........they have great reports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beret said:

but why not go to your favorite B & T and say hey,I would love to buy that VanStal from you but Amazon has it for this , can you come down a little and I will purchase it.

I would be more than happy to match prices at my B&T on an item with a high "mark -up " like a Staal. It's impossible to do so with inexpensive items, there's just not enough margin on inexpensive merchandise.

 

1 hour ago, beret said:

Next time, ask Amazon how the fishing is...........they have great reports

:laugh:

 

Amazon or eBay it's tough to compete.You got guys selling reels out of their house on eBay that have no overhead making 10 or 15 bucks on reels.There's no way for me to make any profit selling reels 10 bucks above cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

A close friend is a old european car mechanic. He told me one of the worse things customers do is wait until they have a big problem, then come in looking to haggle. He stated that the small stuff is what really helps keeps the lights on (oil changes, brakes, routine maintenance). 

 

Do you go out to eat and say I'm not paying for soft drinks or alcohol because it's marked up too much?

It's no harm in asking, but don't take it to the point of disrespect. As always your allowed to spend your coins where ever you like.

The only way small brick & mortor businesses stay open is with a combination of great customer service, knowledge sharing, inventory.

Edited by Sheisty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.