fishfinder

Local bait and tackle price matching?

Rate this topic

111 posts in this topic

Wanna know what will fix this..... 

Companies need to be like shimano, Loomis. 

Police their products sold online... And shut down those who violate map agreements.... 

It used to be pure fishing... Penn /abu were the industrie's worst.... Now Daiwa wears that crown... The market is flooded with 40% off Daiwa rods and reels... And Daiwa literally does nothing.  I can't remember the last time Jbraid wasn't more than 18$ for 300 yards. 

They don't even monitor their JDM dealers.. Why buy a certate when you can buy an exist for the same price... It's laughable 

They came out with cheap **** Oem reels last year to compete with Krap king and Lews... But their higher end reels sell for the same price.... 

The manufacturers who handcuff their dealers need to enforce the agreements they're forced to sign. 

And track their inventories to prevent such a massive amount of sideways sales from occurring..... 

FYI... Some companies mark packaging and buy discounted inventory in order to track the source... Been that way for 20 years... The fishing tackle industry chooses not to do this... 

And tons of shops price match... Just don't be a doooosh about it... You're there asking because you don't want to buy online... 

At the same time there are shops that literally want nothing to do with people just looking for price.. 

OP is probably the guy that goes to the local B&T, feels up every rod they have in stock until he finds the one that is "just right" then goes home and orders it online to save $20.

I think that there's a key point here that has been touched upon, yet warrants some clarification: 

CURRENCY 

Currency is not limited to money, although it is most commonly thought of in monetary terms.  It can also include any sort of value, economic or otherwise.  The sum of all of the currencies in play for a given product or service, by a given consumer, is sometimes referred to as that consumer's "value set". In the case of B&Ts, many other forms of value have already been mentioned herein:

• Timeliness--"need it tonight/ASAP".  Value increases:
    • A) inversely to the supply/availability from other source options, and
    • B) positively with items on the "critical path" (e.g., a handle or other reel part for the only reel you have or for the reel you want/need to use that night).
  • Breadth and/or quality of product offering--examples include live bait, freshly-frozen bait, lures or other hardware that tend to be unique to a specific area and/or its conditions, or in limited supply.
  • Information:
    • Approaches--Not limited to "Where are they biting right now", this could include more general knowledge for a specific area or sets of conditions (e.g., "on a W turn, mid-season, new moon, we've found <these locations/types of structure> pretty productive when using <these approaches>".)
    • Gear--Recommendations based on experience (both first-hand and from dozens of other patrons) that might result in one's buying the 5" version as opposed to the 7" version that one had initially planned to buy.
  • Social--Camaraderie, meeting new people, making new friends and fishing mates.

Please note that I am in no way assigning any values, relative or absolute, to these other types of currency.  I am merely attempting to roughly classify them. 

Also note that consumers' "value sets" tend to vary by product or service.  For example, the OP's currency appears to be solely monetary, in which case other currencies have no value to him.  If he applied the same single-currency value set to all of his other purchase decisions, he'd get his hair cut by students at a local barber school, buy day-old bread and/or bruised fruit at the market, etc.

Why is there an Amazon shopping link on this website then? Riddle me that. Sorry but I buy quality equipment at the cheapest price possible. I support small builders who make stuff at home first. Then manufacturers and importers who sell rods and reels direct at discount. Then who ever else has it cheapest on the internet. I can get my own bait and with al ittle research I found the bait boat guys and buy direct from them at the ramp. As for the guy who says brick and mortar stores cant compete, Terminal Tackle did it for decades before the internet with a paper catalog and a telephone/ fax machine.

I DON'T want local tackle shops to disappear at all 100% the info, the selection, the bait  and just a place to be in your environment and talk fishing. Not sure how it turned into me wanting all b at t shops to close.The internet is an amazing place lol.  I put this post out just to understand why they don't do it .To me the dumb customer it seems like a no brainer. Of course Id rather be able to get the better price at the b and t shop wouldn't we all?? As many people said more and more shops are closing hmm is it because they aren't getting enough business? I TOO Support my local b and T shops just as much as most of the people who said the support them. Seems like the word Support means different things to different people. By supporting them do you mean buying something say on the more expensive side there at full retail price say $800 plus tax knowing you could get it some where else for say 15% to 25% off and possibly no tax or shipping saving upwards $300 If so again I call bs on most who say they would do that. When I speak to random guys while fishing if we get talkin about the gear we have most of the time if it comes up that they Got a great Deal on this or that sadly the deal wasn't at the local b and t shop .Maybe you supported you local b and t shop by going to a fishing show just so you could wait till the end of the show with a wad of cash in your pocket and go to there stand as they are leaving so you could try to really low balll them and get a great deal who hasn't heard that story before .Is that supporting them?Like I said support has many meanings I guess.

I support my local b and t shops just wish I would be able support them more by buy more things there than just window shop that's all.and sadly to my pockets I spend way to much there as is lol

Apologies to the people who seemed like they were upset about this post wasn't the intent.

37 mins ago, fishfinder said:

I DON'T want local tackle shops to disappear at all 100% the info, the selection, the bait  and just a place to be in your environment and talk fishing. Not sure how it turned into me wanting all b at t shops to close.

It's a virtue-signaling loop on here when it comes to the local B&Ts. Next time you have a well-meaning suggestion for the mom and pops...make sure you preface it with the above trigger warning first :) 

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

And tons of shops price match... Just don't be a doooosh about it... You're there asking because you don't want to buy online... 

At the same time there are shops that literally want nothing to do with people just looking for price.. 

Both good points. 

Although I haven't done it at B&Ts, I have had very favorable responses with other local retailers when using something along the lines of "You know that I'd rather buy this from you, and we both know that it's available for <fill in the blank here:  "a lot less", "X% less", etc.> at other places.  Is there anything you can do for me on price?  If not, I'll understand."  (Sometimes adding "if I buy it now" and/or "if I pay cash" helps.)

More than 50% of the time the result was a price we could both live with.  About 25% was either a price match (note that I didn't specifically request a price match) or there was no other price offered.  In all cases, both of us walked away feeling that we'd been treated fairly and with respect.

To your second point, these are stores that I've been buying from for many years, at their retail prices, so they know that A) I'm not "just looking for price", and B) I might have only asked this favor once or twice in a year or two.

What’s up with you guys going to shops to socialize? Don’t you have friends? Lol if it wasn’t for your money being spent there they’d want nothing to do with you 

im all for supporting a small business but most of these shops are run by people who don’t give a **** and don’t know nearly as much as the old school shop owners knew

Edited by Justinj

2 mins ago, Justinj said:

What’s up with you guys going to shops to socialize? Don’t you have friends? Lol if it wasn’t for your money being spent there they’d want nothing to do with you 

You need to find some better shops then. I'm in my local shop almost daily during the season, normally to pick up a dozen eels or so for the coming night. They're all good guys there. I fish with a few of them, sometimes multiple times a week. We share confidential reports that I have 100% trust will not go out to the general public and receive up to date info in return. Its nice to walk into a shop, exchange nods and theyre already moving to get you the bait you need before you reach the counter. Try getting that kind of service from amazon.

I believe currency play an important role as well. E.g. in Australia, tackle are more expensive compare to Asia countries. That y most of the time I bough my tackles (80% of it) from countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand etc.  

Many local tackle stores in Perth closed down compare to other giant companies as they can't sustain the "bulk price" that they can get from suppliers. One of my favourite is Campbellsprotackle where I always go to, close down due to prices difference, so sad.

3 hours ago, Justinj said:

im all for supporting a small business but most of these shops are run by people who don’t give a **** and don’t know nearly as much as the old school shop owners knew

Apparently you treat shops purely as fungible vendors; they, in turn, treat you purely as a fungible consumer.  

4 hours ago, Justinj said:

Youre clearly hanging around the wrong places. Or maybe you just suck and that's why no one wants to share anything worthwhile with you.

I buy 95% of my gear from B & T's. Other 5 % is from Tackle direct and The Surf caster, To me there just Local B & T's not near me. I love going in my favorite store down By I R I DE, been going there since 1966. I like to see and feel what I'm buying. I can test the action, get the local knowledge of what works best for that area. Plus it feels great when you walk through the door and you get a smile. Sure I might spend a few bucks more, But I feel better that I did. Only Time I hit a big box ls when I get a Cabelas gift card, or I need Line, I use Wally world is a mile from my house if my Local B & T is closed. Fresh water fishing I use a  freshwater B & T a 1/2 mile from my house. All in All I'm going there for knowledge  from Fishermen, not a young kid or none fisherman with no knowledge.

Edited by hunter123

23 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Yeah, but what's your point? I couldn't care less if every local B&T closed down, it wouldn't make any difference to me or my fishing. FWIW, the only tackle shops experiencing any growth are ones with a significant online component to their store. I give those guys plenty of business. 

I would hate to work for a business that doesn't evolve with the times. The self righteous babble in this thread is hilarious. 

My point is that when you ask for matching you're basically asking the owner to take a pay cut. It takes some balls to do that.... Most shops are small, they have limited buying power and generally follow mrsp. Their margins are not high and they're not making much off a reel to begin with. It gets harder when the vendors start getting in bed with the online retailers and give them better deals than the locals. They just can't compete. 

I do agree, businesses need to evolve, in the end that's on them. They either need to develop an online presence or better yet offer a service not available elsewhere - custom rods, specialized rigging, repairs (that's dying these days tho), etc. The days of simply owning  commercial property and opening the doors are over. But the major online places are a problem too. Look at the issues that TD has. 

I try and get things locally when I can and not just for fishing. I regularly hit the local ace or true value instead of homies. I try to hit the local shop instead of online or amazon. I will go online if the local shop doesn't carry what I want tho. At this point in my fishing career, coupled with the state of many fisheries, I admittedly don't buy much any more. Generally just odds and ends.

In the end, it's your money. If you want local shops they may not be there in the future tho.

8 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

You need to find some better shops then. I'm in my local shop almost daily during the season, normally to pick up a dozen eels or so for the coming night. They're all good guys there. I fish with a few of them, sometimes multiple times a week. We share confidential reports that I have 100% trust will not go out to the general public and receive up to date info in return. Its nice to walk into a shop, exchange nods and theyre already moving to get you the bait you need before you reach the counter. Try getting that kind of service from amazon.

What shop do you go to? I have frequented 2 shops with great reviews and they haven’t impressed me with regards to knowledge at all.