fishfinder

Local bait and tackle price matching?

Rate this topic

112 posts in this topic

Fishfinder, you do not deserve the sort of service, freely dispensed local knowledge, freely dispensed fishing, weather, tide and current advice, freely dispensed gear expertise, repair wizardry, fresh bait, inventory optimized for a specific location, etc, etc, etc that is always available at your local B&T. By all means, buy your gear on line. All of it. But have the decency to keep your cheap a$$ out of an institution you obviously do not value and certainly do not deserve. And whatever you do, don’t go griping on a forum like this one when Amazon can’t provide some critical item you need... but neither can your local B&T shops because you and your ilk have driven them all out of business.

Op is catching alot of hell for a good point of the way the world works. Outsource to China to maximize profit, make available to mass merchants at deep discounts, don't regulate sale prices to who you distribute to is the reel game. It's ok for the reel manufacturers to operate that way and nobody gets mad? There is no solution for local shops but to adapt to the market if they want to sell product or go out of business trying to sell reels because hate to break it to yall but morals won't win against supply and demand. I support my local shops in everyway I can and my sister owns a local bait store btw before I catch hell, just think it's a lost cause at this point for the shops. 

10 hours ago, fishfinder said:

Wouldn't it be great if your local bait and tackle shop price matched so we could give way more business to them? Thoughts?

I support local shops and local people.  Its not all about price with me.

A local B&T shop is so much more than the standard transactions of buying and selling. They can be a great place to learn as well as meet people. Some of the advice I have gotten at my local B&T was invaluable. I remember staring at the walls and walls of lures at Surfland on PI when I first started surfcasting. I was sooooooo in over my head and had over with all the choices and probably had over $150 of lures in my hands. Then Kay Moulton comes over and tells me words that I will never forget. "See most of these lures catch fisherman, not fish." She then proceeded to hand me a bone and black CC red fin and a pencil popper and says these are what you want. Can you imagine an owner of a business telling you to put money back on the shelf that would go into their pocket?!?! She knew I would probably buy anything she put in my hand yet she gave me  one of the cheapest most effective lures on the market. I will never forget the kindness she showed me and I will always give them my business. Good luck getting that in the Q&A section of Amazon.

8 mins ago, captahab416 said:

A local B&T shop is so much more than the standard transactions of buying and selling. They can be a great place to learn as well as meet people. Some of the advice I have gotten at my local B&T was invaluable. I remember staring at the walls and walls of lures at Surfland on PI when I first started surfcasting. I was sooooooo in over my head and had over with all the choices and probably had over $150 of lures in my hands. Then Kay Moulton comes over and tells me words that I will never forget. "See most of these lures catch fisherman, not fish." She then proceeded to hand me a bone and black CC red fin and a pencil popper and says these are what you want. Can you imagine an owner of a business telling you to put money back on the shelf that would go into their pocket?!?! She knew I would probably buy anything she put in my hand yet she gave me  one of the cheapest most effective lures on the market. I will never forget the kindness she showed me and I will always give them my business. Good luck getting that in the Q&A section of Amazon.

I wasn’t familiar with that shop and had to Google.  Great website.   One of best I’ve seen.  I love her “11 worms” clip.  I’ll have to visit on my next run up that way.  

9 hours ago, buddha162 said:

I don't think OP deserves this thrashing lol...price matching on reels is not an unreasonable suggestion, how many here have jumped on online deals posted on SOL alone in the last year? 

If local B&Ts don't need the business, fine. Based on how few are left in business...I'd say maximizing traffic by price matching larger items is not a bad move. 

You do realize that's how the shop owner pays his bills? RIght? You do realize that having a physical retail location, open significant hours is not cheap? Right?

Would you like it if your boss said "hey, Buddha162, amazon pays their staff $15/hour, so how about I pay you that rate too?"

they could price match if the shop had the funding for inventory..to buy in bulk or volume...there's many price drops in buying from their suppliers ..the more you buy the less each item costs...but it takes big bucks and a lot of storage to do so.

years ago this outfit came in and bought out a large local tackle shop...dumped big money into the place to rehab...then they had their first sale...on penn reels...that raised hell with all the other shop around because the new shop was selling below what the other shops were buying them for...why? because they bought in volume ...they have backers with lots of spare cash.

Seriously. Get a therapist if you need someone to talk to. No B and T shop is giving out spots - which I completely understand why. What other knowledge could they possibly provide that’s not readily available with a click on the internet? 

It is really weird for me, 32y/o, to see other people my age saying B&T's are without need. Maybe its bc I have a great local shop, but I am seriously confused that people think you can just go on without them. Where you guys gna get your live-bait, local reports and stories-of-the-week? Again maybe its just me, but I'd pay the extra few bucks everytime. Weird thing is, the more you frequent a shop and get familiar, you start getting things thrown your way-- a new bucktail, 10% on a rod, $20 off. Whatever it is, I will always be loyal to a local shop, bc they are the ones that will be there for ya when you really need it, late at night after hours or early in the morning. Amazon certainly wont. 

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

You do realize that's how the shop owner pays his bills? RIght? You do realize that having a physical retail location, open significant hours is not cheap? Right?

Yeah, but what's your point? I couldn't care less if every local B&T closed down, it wouldn't make any difference to me or my fishing. FWIW, the only tackle shops experiencing any growth are ones with a significant online component to their store. I give those guys plenty of business. 

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Would you like it if your boss said "hey, Buddha162, amazon pays their staff $15/hour, so how about I pay you that rate too?"

I would hate to work for a business that doesn't evolve with the times. The self righteous babble in this thread is hilarious. 

10 mins ago, RyanJ_88 said:

Where you guys gna get your live-bait, local reports and stories-of-the-week?

I don't need or want any of those things, but if I did I'd be looking into ways B&Ts can be competitive...like the OP's suggestion of price matching reels. 

10 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Nobody is saying ignore deals on line and buy 2x more expensive stuff at B&T.

Times have changed and most of B&T owners know that.

In order for them to keep doors open they do need our help.

Yes, I understand that small shops need to make sales and if I walk into a tackle shop I will typically buy something.

Even if I don't need anything; I'll  almost always spend some money because I appreciate that they're there and that their doors are still open.

I will say that the shops I've been to recently have become friendlier places and are much more willing to share information than they used to be.

I can recall going into shops where the moment you walked you were recognized as an outsider and immediately felt the territorial vibe. That's not the kind of place I'm worried about keeping in business.

I really do wish I had a place like Cow Harbor or Redtop which was close to me but I simply don't.

17 hours ago, fishfinder said:

Lots of anger in those replies you sound like you might be biast to the question already lol So we the customers should pay way more at a local tackle shop? For what? If I could get a vsx 200 shipped to my door no tax for say 650 or less why would I pay 750 plus tax at the local shop?wouldn't they rather match the price keep my business and maybe I'll buy some 6 ounce sinkers for 2 dollars each and 3 dollars for a fresh bunker lol

Try getting that fresh bunker or eels, crabs for tog or a new plug you NEED tonight from an online store.