Capt.Castafly

Beavertail Light Traffic Closer

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

It was such a beautiful day on Wednesday, decided to take a ride to Beavertail and to see first hand the erosion of the road closer.

There were a few wash outs to be noted, this one the most severe closest to the road.

The post on the guard rail had to have lost 2 1/2 feet of dirt from the footing. It would not take long to undermine the road.

It's difficult to see the depth on the photo.

In other place there was washout where slaps of stone pavement steps have slid down the banks.  

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

14 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

It was such a beautiful day on Wednesday, decided to take a ride to Beavertail and to see first hand the erosion of the road closer.

There were a few wash outs to be noted, this one the most severe closest to the road.

The post on the guard rail had to have lost 2 1/2 feet of dirt from the footing. It would not take long to undermine the road.

It's difficult to see the depth on the photo.

In other place there was washout where slaps of stone pavement steps have slid down the banks.  

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

33 mins ago, bdowning said:

Wow, had no idea it was that far gone. Looks like another State of RI 10 yr construction project in the making... :squid:

They won't spend the money to get it fixed. The state already said that. Gina needs to take it out of her won pocket, have all her friends she got state jobs chip in too.

I don’t see anything different from the pics you posted.  I’m down there once a week and haven’t noticed anything substantial. It’s always been tight along the fence in those spots and there’s always been those steep dirt trails (hence ‘yellow dirt road’)  Looks the same as last year and the year before that, and so on. 

The only thing that changes about Btail is how fewer and smaller the fish are year after year. 

Edited by rbart

1 hour ago, dickd said:

Bob Bendick, head of DEM long ago, maintains the erosion is caused by rain runoff and foot traffic, not so much from storm surge. Who knows?

Wind should certainly be taken into account, but I’ve never seen the waves come close to touching those spots even in the worst of storms.  So I’d have to agree with Mr. Bendick. 

5 hours ago, dickd said:

Bob Bendick, head of DEM long ago, maintains the erosion is caused by rain runoff and foot traffic, not so much from storm surge. Who knows?

I'd say that's the main reason.

It's too bad they never put catch basin in those low run off areas and channeled the water further down onto the rocks.

3 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I'd say that's the main reason.

It's too bad they never put catch basin in those low run off areas and channeled the water further down onto the rocks.

Probably cost prohibitive. Installing a catch basin and drain in solid rock is an expensive proposition.