Sandflee

Poon Flies

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Headed down to Marathon first week of June, one full day with a Guide, started tying some poon flies 

any "Must Haves"?

IMG_3332.JPG

The toads are good.

I don't know marathon tarpon but a rabbit bunny fly is just killer. 

Black zonker tail with purple xcut rabbit palmed up the shank of the hook.

Or black red or black and black or purple and black. 

Like that. If I get out to my garage today I'll get one for a picture. 

These flies are my rendition of a pattern I used in the keys last season. I went with two guides and they each fished this pattern. Mine are zonker tails with a dubbed head. Pretty small hooks. These are 1’s, but the guides down there use #2 hooks often, even on big tarpon. I guess the fish down there are pretty fussy. 

43D8AEBD-CE1D-461D-BAE7-E94A123FCD10.jpeg

I'm just back from Holbox.

I tied a bunch of marabou toads and megalolipops, in size 1/0.  The guides all reached for my redfish flies in size 2.  The black one at the bottom was the most productive.

IMG_1219.jpg.c9839422a1e1e1123b18c14f4da1ead0.jpg

73609CFC-DA97-4265-8924-530D410F8199.JPG.c463a6d4fd286fd58f0c968883091a9a.JPG

Tarpon aren't very picky when it comes to flies, but they do tend to be jerks when it comes to how they're presented. A 3" profile that tracks 4"-8" below the surface is going to get some follows. A careful approach, a 12' leader and a flawless cast into a 15 knot headwind and you've got this.

8 hours ago, smath said:

How was the fishing?

In a word, tough.  Wind and clouds made seeing the fish difficult, and some of them were simply not in an eating mood.    I had dreams of 10 fish a day - did not work out that way.  Still, I managed a few.

But if I had told myself 5 years ago that someday I would be catching multiple tarpon in Mexico on fly, I would have thought that was a dream.  Also caught snook and barracuda - fun, but my focus was tarpon.

Holbox the town was much livelier than I expected.  I was actually hoping for a sleepy fishing village - what I found were bars packed with European backpackers.  On the positive side, some of them provided nice views from the beach.

29 mins ago, JCH said:
11 hours ago, smath said:

How was the fishing?

In a word, tough.  Wind and clouds made seeing the fish difficult, and some of them were simply not in an eating mood.    I had dreams of 10 fish a day - did not work out that way.  Still, I managed a few.

I'm heading to Mexico next week and have scheduled a couple of days tarpon fishing out of Campeche, which is on the west coast of the Yucatan. The fishing there is for juvenile tarpon in the mangrove creeks and islands. I have dreams too.

7 mins ago, smath said:

I'm heading to Mexico next week and have scheduled a couple of days tarpon fishing out of Campeche,

If I had to do it again, that's where I'd go.  Mildly more difficult to get to - but truly remote.  Good luck!

8 hours ago, smath said:

I'm heading to Mexico next week and have scheduled a couple of days tarpon fishing out of Campeche, which is on the west coast of the Yucatan. The fishing there is for juvenile tarpon in the mangrove creeks and islands. I have dreams too.

I fished a few years ago from Isla Arena which is the next stop north of Campeche.

Remote is a good description. We were the only fisherman there. We saw two other boats fishing for tarpon once in six days. They came up from Campeche and we were south a ways.

So it is the same water that gets fished out of both locations. 

The fishing was on the outside early and back in the mangroves if/when the wind picks up.

The fishing was incredible. Many stupid easy fish every day.

If I was going back to Mexico I'd go to Campeche just for a little local outings maybe. You get none of that in isla arena.