Town of Oyster Bay Night fishing permits

Rate this topic

joetackle

The NYCRF and others were active in trying to gain non-resident access to TOB beaches long before I became involved. In my time involved what became clear is that non-residents have little to no leverage when dealing with these types of issues. You really have to present a case where a Town sees the non-resident access as an asset and not a potential liability. We thankfully had a person well connected with the town helping to navigate and drive the process.

SteveZissou presented a scenario that I had never considered - the fact that other towns can adopt similar rules limiting access to all non-residents. I know that this is something that I will now be wary of with new Town access initiatives and those towns with existing access privileges. 

RS

Fishing tobay day and nite was never an issue to me as a non resident knew the security people still fish with one. They would come down at nite to see what I was catching and kept an eye on my car in the lot. 

Fast forward to the last 2 years with guys tossing chunks over the resident children's heads and pulling large sharks up on the beach in front of them the end result was day light fishing banned and tob resident or sponsored only 7pm-7am..

Really a shame but cant blame the town or residents complaining about the danger to kids and hooked sharks swimming together. A little common sense these guys would have moved down the beach away from the kids. I made sure to go west at least 100 yards from the swimmers.

Is what it is but really sux for the responsible fisherman as that beach can be hot for large.

**** the U.N.

1 hour ago, SteveZissou said:

Ross and I have discussed this privately today. I’m thankful for all he has done. 

Great.  I hope we can work together in the future. Unfortunately there is a lot work to be done on this island when it comes to beach access for all surfcasters.

I assure you there is many in the NYCRF organization that work hard to get us more access and maintain what we have.  All members do not do it for themselves but for all to enjoy and fish in peace.  It looks like you have the same mind set.  Hope to meet you soon and to have a great season. The future looks bright for us when it comes to more beach access across this beautiful island we live on.

Edited by Chrisabbatiello

1 hour ago, SteveZissou said:

Supervisor Saladino is a reasonable man, and a fellow fisherman.  Our conversations have been respectful and friendly. I assure you your nonresident access is not at risk - but try to not just worry about your own access. This affects more than you. 

Really???? I have been in the fight for beach access for more than 30 years. Do your homework to check my background before you say I am only worried about my own access!

Edited by lisurf2
Larry Carlucci
Gateway Striper Club
LIBBA #1258
MSA #245

6 hours ago, Popasilov said:

There are already, several towns on Long Island, that if you are not resident, you can not enter their beach. They will not sell you daily pass.

I don't see that as discrimination.

Why don't you raise your voice against that, too?

Fishing is not a right,

fishing is a privilege.

I am sending them my e-mail, thanking them for their concern about TOB residents.

“I greatly appreciate new Town of Oyster Bay night fishing permit. It is limiting access to nonresidents who must have a sponsor to obtain the permit. The TOB’s sponsorship requirement is great; it does not discriminates fisherman. We want to know who is fishing our beaches.

Thank you for doing it”

Great!

I encourage your to come to ‘Dune Day’ at Tobay beach on March 24th. We will be cleaning up some of the garbage in the dune and planting dune grass in the dunes to help prevent erosion to one of  TOB’s beaches.

Supervisor Saladino will be there as will other members of the town board.  It would be a great way show your appreciation for the access! 

- What a waste. They had a bartender here, Kino, made the best rum cannonball I've ever tasted! -

13 mins ago, lisurf2 said:

Really???? I have been in the fight for beach access for more than 30 years. Do your homework to check my background before you say I am only worried about my own access!

Great!

I have been doing my part for 24years.  as well. We both should be proud. 

I encourage your to come to ‘Dune Day’ at Tobay beach on March 24th. We will be cleaning up some of the garbage in the dune and planting dune grass in the dunes to help prevent erosion to one of  TOB’s beaches. 

Supervisor Saladino will be there as will other members of the town board.  It would be a great way show your appreciation for the access!

- What a waste. They had a bartender here, Kino, made the best rum cannonball I've ever tasted! -

I will be at Tobay on March 24th, and I suggest you come the the LIBBA beach cleanup and fencing project at Democrat Point, Sore Thumb, and Gilgo scheduled for Saturday March 21st. We are meeting at Robert Moses Field 2 at 8:30am

Larry Carlucci , #1258 LIBBA Treasurer, and Treasurer for NYCRF

Larry Carlucci
Gateway Striper Club
LIBBA #1258
MSA #245

5 hours ago, SteveZissou said:

I encourage your to come to ‘Dune Day’ at Tobay beach on March 24th.

How convenient,

Tuesday, working day for most of people.

Should I ask my boss to give me a day off so I can satisfy angry guy who does not like fishing regulations in the Town of Oyster Bay?

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

5 hours ago, SteveZissou said:

We will be cleaning up some of the garbage in the dune and planting dune grass in the dunes to help prevent erosion to one of  TOB’s beaches. 

I am doing my part on this, without advertising all around.

It is a normal thing to do. Every time I go for a walk around beach or any other area I pick up garbage around.

This is from few days ago, down at Jones beach, after I got my night fishing permit.

Short walk on Field #6

I am sure there are lots of people around, who do the same thing.

We do not advertise because we do not need attention.

Again, it is a normal thing to do.

Garbage.jpg

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

P.S.

My 7 years old does a same thing.

She pick-up garbage from street, if she sees it. But she is very loud about it

" Daddy, look at this, some people are worse than pigs"

I love looking at the faces at the people around when she does that.

- Henry Ford-

14 hours ago, lisurf2 said:

I will be at Tobay on March 24th, and I suggest you come the the LIBBA beach cleanup and fencing project at Democrat Point, Sore Thumb, and Gilgo scheduled for Saturday March 21st. We are meeting at Robert Moses Field 2 at 8:30am

Larry Carlucci , #1258 LIBBA Treasurer, and Treasurer for NYCRF

I think i’m free on the 21st Larry. Sending you a PM. Didn’t realize this was you lmao. My mistake. 

If I can’t make it to the LIBBA cleanup I’ll bring a cigar to opening day at the shop. 

8 hours ago, Popasilov said:

How convenient,

Tuesday, working day for most of people.

Should I ask my boss to give me a day off so I can satisfy angry guy who does not like fishing regulations in the Town of Oyster Bay?

Yeah I know, not very convenient at all. Tuesday morning at 10:00am.  I’d be shocked if theirs more than 10 people. Few years back islander Bobby Nystrom showed up. Oh well. 

8 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I am doing my part on this, without advertising all around.

It is a normal thing to do. Every time I go for a walk around beach or any other area I pick up garbage around.

This is from few days ago, down at Jones beach, after I got my night fishing permit.

Short walk on Field #6

I am sure there are lots of people around, who do the same thing.

We do not advertise because we do not need attention.

Again, it is a normal thing to do.

Garbage.jpg

Well done. Yeah most of us do this, your right. Can count a handful of times in my life I’ve seen a fisherman on the beach walk over or past a piece of garbage. Not sure what you meant about the advertising thing.