GoneCoastal

Vise for tying Bucktails

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, D_L said:

Yup Dave.  Hi Dave, Both are the same. They are called Meyer Pliers. You can buy them from Kimbell Midwest. Get them in 10". You have to call and set up an account. Its no big deal. Around $30 something. No welding required.

Just ordered one of these, thanks Dave! Exactly what i was looking for, and the customer service couldn’t be any nicer! 

Edited by Mack26

2 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Just ordered one one of these, thanks Dave! Exactly what i was looking for, and the customer service couldn’t be any nicer! 

Sweet. You will happy. Yeah its not a fancy vise but it gets the job done.

Cheap bench vise, even the clamp on one that under 20 bucks work. I use something like a home made version of the Meyer pliers, before that for smaller stuff needle nose vice grips clamped in the bench vise worked just fine

3 hours ago, Stuarticus said:

I got the Saltwater edge vise. It's perfect for tying big bucktails up to 9/0 mustad hooks. You're looking at about $219 for it.

Thanks, was shopping that someone who had one might respond. I figured I'd just buy one. I don't have time for home brew projects. Still have 3 rods in various forms of completion. 

Hopped on old faithful this weekend to do a little tying for the first time in almost a year. The aluminum stock formed to the vice jaws makes a world of difference, over time a groove wore in and gives a bit better grasp.

IMG_20200215_153037706.jpg

I own several fly tying vises, and none are suitable for tying all the larger hook sizes that I use. I have a home made Vise Grip vise that works as well as anything. 

If you use a vise, the main thing is that it holds the hook securely and you have enough room to work, for applying your materials and wrapping the thread. 

The majority of tying that I do is on an old Regal, that I've had for many years and obtained it used. It doesn't hold all the hooks sizes I need. It's a fine vise & Regal makes a version that will hold the bigger hooks, but they're expensive. It's great to have a nice tying vise, if you can afford it, and do a lot of tying. However, it's not necessary.

When I first started tying, and for about 5 years I held the hooks in my hand and tied without a vise. It can be done. I was 11, and the dexterity in my hands and fingers were a lot different than they are now. I'm 64 now with a good bit of arthritis, so holding a hook, particularly with the added weight of the lead, is not something I want to do now. I could I'm sure, if only tying a few jigs, but wouldn't want to be something I do often. 

Get a vise of whatever type works for you. It's well worth the investment. 

My home made vise isn't pretty, but does the job very well.

100_4628.JPG

100_4630.JPG

100_4631.JPG

100_4629.JPG

100_4627.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

I got the saltwater edge vise the other day and I'm impressed with it so far. It can clamp and hold tight with ease 8/0 hooks and fully rotates. I like the simplicity. I tie flare hawk jigs ranging from 1.5 oz - 3 oz. It's a good buy imo. I myself aint about all these homemade vises. Looks complicated, unable to rotate 360 deg, and uncomfortable to use.

Edited by Koloa

I have used all kinds of cheap vises, home made rigs over the years and they worked ok. Two months ago I purchased a large jaw for my Regal Vice, it holds up to a 5/0 hook . All I can tell you is I wish I had of done it 25 years ago. Well worth the money for the ease of operation. It really makes tying much more fun. You can find the clamp type vise with the large jaw on line for $175.00