Vise for tying Bucktails

Rate this topic

GoneCoastal

Hey all,

Looking at taking the plunge to buy a vise built for tying saltwater bucktails. Something that handles 1-4 oz, big hooks and that is full rotary. I'm between the Jurassic vice and one that saltwater edge puts out. Any advice from actual users ? I'm not interested in using Chanel locks anymore. Thanks

12 mins ago, fishinbill said:

For years, I used a vice for tying flies, but now tie my bucktails without one.  Once you get set up, it's pretty simple.

Here's a John Skinner video, as an example. The tying starts at 2:36: 

That's funny. Just what I was thinking. Even though I have had  a tying vise for many years. For the last few I often just pull a skinner and hold the jig in my hand. Which just goes to prove :

Your left hand has more than one use!:howdy:

13 mins ago, D_L said:

You can pick one up for about $30 to get started.

5FC93779-7E1E-44A4-8250-010954358E8C.jpeg

F4AB95F0-646C-4745-92F7-6C7B56E5DEEA.jpeg

What’s that top one, Dave? I love the simplicity of the bottom one, but i don’t weld.  That is very cool, and exactly what i would like to get. Vises are just very expensive for a decent one.

30 mins ago, Mack26 said:

What’s that top one, Dave? I love the simplicity of the bottom one, but i don’t weld.  That is very cool, and exactly what i would like to get. Vises are just very expensive for a decent one.

Yup Dave.  Hi Dave, Both are the same. They are called Meyer Pliers. You can buy them from Kimbell Midwest. Get them in 10". You have to call and set up an account. Its no big deal. Around $30 something. No welding required.

Here’s the brace and bit I’ve been using for years, mentioned above by Stryper Snyper. 
About $10 invested and is rotary both ways to see what you are tying and can hold the biggest of saltwater hooks. 
rotary helps also with applying Sally Hansen hard as nails to the threads, rotate it so it does not goop off while it soaks in and lightly dries.

D174538C-07CE-458C-A3F9-1FE123B2F78A.jpeg

155B574D-4EE7-43C4-8D2A-FBC6CF4DB45A.png

Edited by delaware surfman
Spelling wrong

Delaware Mobile Surffisherman #2062
North Carolina Beach Buggy ASSN # 12382

5 mins ago, delaware surfman said:

Here’s the brace and bit I’ve been using for years, mentioned above by Stryper Snyper. 
About $10 invested and is rotary both ways to see what you are tying and can hold the biggest of saltwater hooks. 
rotary helps also with applying Sally Hansen hard as nails to the threads, rotate it so it does not hoop off while it soaks in and lightly dries.

D174538C-07CE-458C-A3F9-1FE123B2F78A.jpeg

155B574D-4EE7-43C4-8D2A-FBC6CF4DB45A.png

Anymore pics of how the body attaches or has been modified? Thanks

13 mins ago, D_L said:

Yup Dave.  Hi Dave, Both are the same. They are called Meyer Pliers. You can buy them from Kimbell Midwest. Get them in 10". You have to call and set up an account. Its no big deal. Around $30 something. No welding required.

Awesome, thanks bud! :th:

17 mins ago, nightfighter said:

Anymore pics of how the body attaches or has been modified? Thanks

It started out like this. Blow up the top picture and you will see how I cut it off. Had a 4 inch maybe 6 inch c clamp welded to it. Any garage or shop would help you out with that. 

1BDAEA4D-AA17-4ABE-9DBF-E3A6946A9719.png

Delaware Mobile Surffisherman #2062
North Carolina Beach Buggy ASSN # 12382