jhndoe

Mo. Bch

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Back in the 70’s, Monk’s Cove has boats all along the shore line on pully  / clothes lines.  In fact they were all along the shoreline of monument beach.  That isn’t done any more.  Not one boat in Monks Cove.  Anyone know why this stopped.  

43 mins ago, jhndoe said:

Back in the 70’s, Monk’s Cove has boats all along the shore line on pully  / clothes lines.  In fact they were all along the shoreline of monument beach.  That isn’t done any more.  Not one boat in Monks Cove.  Anyone know why this stopped.  

Because somebody who thought they were important thought they (the boats) looked yucky and started a petition to have them banned...…………….

The 70's is when this all started...………..

58 mins ago, jhndoe said:

Those objects you're talking about were known as outhauls. They were around as far back as the 40s. They were used as a means of keeping a small skiff or dingy in the water at all stages of the tide, and still be accessible from shore.

However, the practice became abused. Outhauly were popping up all over town without town permits. People began tethering 20' boats on them. People began subletting outhauls. There were so many outhauls in places it was impeding shore access and shell fishing. 

However the main reason they were eliminated was due to the fact the shore based pole was located on town land. Vast amounts of town land was being taken over, and even beach goes we're being interfered with. 

In the end the town (DNR) ended the practice, only to be alloy in private land.

BTW, my outhaul number was 1.

We had one at mud cove in the early seventies when it was very quiet down there. Beautiful place .  You could drive out to the end and there was a deep tidal river.  Amazing the amount of erosion. That has taken place .

Ah Monk's Cove....beautiful place.

Many years back, when Perry's was in business, Ron Arra gave a live casting demonstration using an Abu Garcia reel down at Monk's. 

After a brief talk at Perry's extolling the benefit of a parabolic action rod, we all took Perry's van down to Monks for a casting demonstration.  I recall Ron all decked out in his black/red Abu jacket with Abu emblems as he explained how to adjust the length and rapidity of the lure drop on the new Abu reel.  

Low water and dead calm it was.  We drove out to the northern tip of the southern outcropping and Ron casted northward toward the northern outcropping.  Damn near hit it.  I know a few of the guys bought a rod or an Abu, or both that day.   Great demonstration.    

30 mins ago, Joe G said:

Ah Monk's Cove....beautiful place.

Many years back, when Perry's was in business, Ron Arra gave a live casting demonstration using an Abu Garcia reel down at Monk's. 

After a brief talk at Perry's extolling the benefit of a parabolic action rod, we all took Perry's van down to Monks for a casting demonstration.  I recall Ron all decked out in his black/red Abu jacket with Abu emblems as he explained how to adjust the length and rapidity of the lure drop on the new Abu reel.  

Low water and dead calm it was.  We drove out to the northern tip of the southern outcropping and Ron casted northward toward the northern outcropping.  Damn near hit it.  I know a few of the guys bought a rod or an Abu, or both that day.   Great demonstration.    

Joe we must have been at the same seminar being held by Perry if I recall correctly. The talk was across the street from where the shop was

I had an illegal outhaul at squeteague harbour for  years........After the town took the outhaul away I moved my work skiff to my illegal mooring lol

Ron taught me how  to pendulum cast.........Guy is in his seventies now and can still cast like a son of a gun.........

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe we must have been at the same seminar being held by Perry if I recall correctly. The talk was across the street from where the shop was

That was well over 25 -35  years ago.  Yes?  You may have been at Roy's at that time.  I recall a whole lot of vandalism, namely  smashed store front windows happening at Roy's and Perry's around then.  Plywood on the store front windows, accusations, etc.  I didn't ask too many questions, although at one point, Roy did stick his head in my car looking for stolen goods and questioned where I got my 7000 C3.  We exchanged a few words after that incident.   :rolleyes:  

Yep, that is where the seminar was held at Perry's, although I'm sure you were not at that particular one.as I would have recognized you.   Small crowd in attendance...maybe 9-10 guys.  Linwood had Ron over a number of times so I can understand why our paths did not cross.  

Ron was an Abu rep at that time...maybe Lami as well.  

Edited by Joe G

17 hours ago, jhndoe said:

Was lunch at the beach house after the seminar ?  It was a hopping place back then.

No lunch or drinks for the 5-6 guys who rode down in the Perry's Boat Yard van.  We went directly back to Perry's after Ron's casting demo.  However, the guys who took their own transportation may have ended up elsewhere.