planter

Publishing the names of poachers?

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

Go ahead publish the names......pedro, Jose, juan....Martinez, Gonzalez, ....

Probably all here illegally, they cant read so it dont matter.  Fine them, cant find them, cant deport them, cant garnish their wages.  

The rest of the losers should have their boats and gear confiscated and donated to a youth who wants to learn how to fish.  Imagine that? Lose your boat for an illegal striper or fluke.  That would work so much better than names in a paper.

Plenty of white folks poaching, even plug builders have been caught. 

22 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

Go ahead publish the names......pedro, Jose, juan....Martinez, Gonzalez, ....

Probably all here illegally, they cant read so it dont matter.  Fine them, cant find them, cant deport them, cant garnish their wages.  

The rest of the losers should have their boats and gear confiscated and donated to a youth who wants to learn how to fish.  Imagine that? Lose your boat for an illegal striper or fluke.  That would work so much better than names in a paper.

I have seen so many Asians and White adults poaching. More like “Pedro, Billy, Patrick, and Wong”....smh

On 2/13/2020 at 10:08 AM, Matt7082 said:

The majority of poachers are “nobody’s”. It wouldn’t make any difference if they were published. However, if a commercial boat gets pinched, publishing the captain’s name, the name of the company, and maybe even the names of retailers and restaurants that they sell to might have an impact. But that impact may also have a lot of collateral damage too. 

Everybody is somebody.

Collateral damage?   So what?

How about a dedicated DEC judge who oversees nothing but fish and wildlife violations who would understand the seriousness,impact and repercussions of these  crimes,throw the book at these gamethiefs,why should the DEC give a rats ass about apprehending these criminals,waste a day in court knowing full well these cases go before a general judge,the fish police officer is made to look like a fool,the violations will be plead down to almost nothing or get thrown out altogether.

Edited by relentless pursuit

I say publish their names. If someone I know was busted for poaching I would want to know. Sure as hell wouldn’t drink or do any business with anyone I found out was poaching, at a minimum. 

On 2/13/2020 at 7:13 AM, afterhours said:

Poaching striped bass is rampant. Fines are ridiculously low. Large fines, license loss, boat/truck and gear seizure would really put a dent in it. Oh and no more  - no hablo ingles....

Amen.  Go try that with deer and other game and see what happens.

On 2/13/2020 at 4:38 PM, MakoMike said:

Yeah, that's the ticket! Then when they get busted for the twentieth time they earn a week's vacation at club Fed.

You have to admit that when you're issued a NOVA for a fed violation, it usually has a pretty big number on it; even after it's negotiated down, it's usually far more than anything you usually see in the states.  That's true even for relatively minor violations, such as illegally filleting a fish at sea when regs say it must be landed whole.

21 hours ago, zenman said:

I say publish their names. If someone I know was busted for poaching I would want to know. Sure as hell wouldn’t drink or do any business with anyone I found out was poaching, at a minimum. 

This is where it has value--peer pressure.

Fishermen, at least the "celebrities," have egos.  Hard to show up at a club meeting, or even in a locakl shop, with a poacher label; folks (except other poachers) tend to ostracize folks with that sort oif reputation.

Although that doesn't always happen.  I belonged to a club that had a director busted for illegal sale of striped bass.  He wasn't removed from his post, largely because he catered the club's parties and gave a good price.  So I left the club.  And karma seemed to come around, because the club doesn't really exist any more.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:05 PM, relentless pursuit said:

How about a dedicated DEC judge who oversees nothing but fish and wildlife violations who would understand the seriousness,impact and repercussions of these  crimes,throw the book at these gamethiefs,why should the DEC give a rats ass about apprehending these criminals,waste a day in court knowing full well these cases go before a general judge,the fish police officer is made to look like a fool,the violations will be plead down to almost nothing or get thrown out altogether.

What would be more likely is a conservation docket, where all DEC violations are heard on a single day.  

The problem is that a lot of fish violations are heard in local "justice courts," village or town courts where the judge isn't even required to be an attorney (although usually is), and local politics can play a role.  At least that's the case in NY.