planter

Publishing the names of poachers?

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

We don't hesitate to release the name of an individual arrested for something other than fishing so why do poachers get a walk. What are the fines for a boat full of over limit and under sized fish. Do we even seize their equipment. What's wrong with being more punitive with some public shaming thrown in. Name them or not? 

5 hours ago, planter said:

We don't hesitate to release the name of an individual arrested for something other than fishing so why do poachers get a walk. What are the fines for a boat full of over limit and under sized fish. Do we even seize their equipment. What's wrong with being more punitive with some public shaming thrown in. Name them or not? 

I would name them, the more spotlight shines on them the more probability of them ceasing their actions due to fear of being caught because people now "know"!

Poaching striped bass is rampant. Fines are ridiculously low. Large fines, license loss, boat/truck and gear seizure would really put a dent in it. Oh and no more  - no hablo ingles....

Edited by afterhours
sp

8 hours ago, planter said:

They are if found guilty... you just need to keep an eye out on when and where they were charged then follow the jurisdiction court cases to get the result. All public information. Just a lot of work and time consuming

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

Name them?

If we were serious, we'd be talking about labor camps, deportment, and forfeiture of assets.

How about we cut off their hands, would that satisfy you?

Florida will absolutely put you on blast. Then again, this is Florida we're talking about, and most poachers here will look you right in the face and tell you they're poachers. I personally believe nothing short of being beaten to the brink of death will dissuade these people from doing what they're doing.

The majority of poachers are “nobody’s”. It wouldn’t make any difference if they were published. However, if a commercial boat gets pinched, publishing the captain’s name, the name of the company, and maybe even the names of retailers and restaurants that they sell to might have an impact. But that impact may also have a lot of collateral damage too. 

For those of you who would like to crucify poachers read the CT thread and understand why such draconian penalties are totally unproductive, and may even be counter-productive.

yeah yeah yeah............and party boats would have to put the amount of times they were busted on their signs at the dock !!!!

In all seriousness though......It's not like a child molester.....

What does if matter if anyone knows that Jimmy Shlitz got popped with 4 stripers.....

Other than it gives a name for social media groups to sink their keyboards into whilst pooping.....

Are you gonna remember the name......face ...... and quantity over the limit........Name one constructive thing you would do with that information....

FYI

Names have been released plenty of times in the past....

Edited by scoobydoo

I catch and release only,,,,,but for 4 years I had trout unlimited calling the game department on me every time they seen me and the police 4 times,,,,,,:beatin: just to push me off the river,,,,:airquote: but it all stopped when I started fly fishing and going to there meetings,,,,,,,,,:)