Badtothebugs

Penn spinfisher 700. Fish it or shelf it?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Is it worth fishing? Should it be on a shelf, whether in the living room or back corner of the shed. It'd be funny to catch a nice king (read mackerel) with it on a crowded day at the pier this season. I do wish the bail was either manual or bailess all together. No way to close the bail that I can see other than just reeling. Huge pet peeve of mine to use the automatic bail function. 

Thoughts? 

15815596684226990835948487248701.jpg

15815597079325061441847683480419.jpg

15815597503136221465992131885086.jpg

Where are you located and how do people fish for kings there? It would be cool to hit a smoker on a classic penn. 

My biggest concerns would be the drag and line roller since kings run so fast. If the drag is sticky you could probably replace with HT-100s or carbontex. 

Also the gear ratio is slow so you’ll have to crank quickly if the fish swims toward you. 

Otherwise, I have no doubt that the reel has the guts and line capacity to land a king. You could probably do 17-20 mono and be ok if braid is frowned upon on your pier. 

Make sure the lip of the spool is smoothed over so your line doesn’t get nicked on it. 

Open it up the side plate and clean it up with Q tips then throw a little Penn grease in there. Soak and clean the drag washers. A drop of 3:1 oil under the drag cap.  

You can order a bailess kit from PENN or Dave from Beavertail Rod and Reel could probably make a custom line roller if he isn’t slammed with work.

Should be good to go as long as the guts are intact and the stem isn’t bent. Don’t worry about the aesthetics. Fish it, catch on it, shelf it when you get sick of it. My .02

Edited by rbart

@youngsalt

Northwest Florida

One of the main ways is drifting, freelined no weight, live or fresh dead baits like cigar minnows or spanish/scaled sardines. Greenies and old Z series are a common sight out there. I've seen a smoker caught on a greenie 704 loaded with 12lb test. 

@rbart

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll get it in working condition and bring it out to use as a novelty reel from time to time in place of my 706 greenie I normally use for drifting baits. Then one day restore it and shelf it after I make some of my own stories with it. 

Clean it up, relube, add a manual bail kit and either a 704 or 704z spool.   The 704 spools have a better drag washer set-up, the 700 only has one fiber washer.  Have fun with it!