ThrowinPlugs

"Start with mono first" on spinners...why?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would recommend anyone starting fishing to get a setup with braid and just learn the ins and outs, its shouldnt be difficult to master in a few outings.  Mono has a few applications where its still useful like in trolling and as leader material, but braid is far superior in everything else.  I laugh whenever I go back and fish with mono at how feels almost silly.

Edited by bbfish

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've used both. Mono many years ago, but I didn't really know anything about fishing back then. Didn't fish for sometime, then took up fishing as a serious hobby more recently and started with braid. I'm not sure what was hard to get used to, as I had no issues with a baitcaster or spinning reel. I would think it'd only be hard if you started with mono.

I relat it to how I teach tennis. The old way used to be to teach with a certain grip, and then change your grip after you got a little more experience. This is what I did. But if I were to start over (and this is how I teach beginners), I'd just start with the more "advanced" grip. Truth is, when I switched grips, it was like learning a whole new game. I pretty much had to relearn everything because the motion was so different.

Yes the "beginner" grip might be more intuitive, but if you start with the advanced grip, it's all you know. You're not trying to relate it to the old motion. The old motion becomes irrelevant because you're never swinging like that.

Edited by cow_goes_meow

22 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

I respectfully disagree. Assuming the person has NEVER fished, the learning curve to get to a moderate skill level on a spinning reel  is faster with mono than braid. 

You r 100% right!

7 mins ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

I think they mean start the spool with mono so the braid doesn't slip.

Nah I always hear "start with mono, then switch to  raid when you're comfortable"