ThrowinPlugs

"Start with mono first" on spinners...why?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Not looking for a debate, genuinely curious. Bait casters and conventional I could understand, but why do people always recommend "mono first" on a spinning outfit? I remember when I started it took me all of 3 trips to say "f- this" lack of distance, memory etc and switch to braid and never had an issue since. What's the reasoning behind this? 

There is a learning curve with braid.................but that only applies to if you started with mono :)

Whenever I am asked...and I get asked a crap ton....I ask them how they feel about spending the time to learn line to line join knots....because without them...you'll be greatly limiting yourself.

Braid is so cheap now......I always recommend it over mono..ESPECIALLY with baitcasters.

The lack of stretch makes learning on a baitcaster much easier....The rubber band effect attributes to a ton of rookie backlashes....

I just make sure they're aware to start high on the brakes..and don't be a hero until your thumb knows what it's doing.....And I make sure they know thumbs aren't just for splash down....

For spinners.....It's a no brainer.....Lasts longer, Fewer issues with twist...etc....

The person just have to understand what they're getting into.

Oh I'm not talking about myself, I've been fishing for probably 20+ years now. I'm curious why it seems to always be the first "tip" people give. Nobody I know thats starting nowadays starts with mono, shops always recommend braid (maybe thicker stuff at the beginning).

Just one of those "unwritten rules" that people recommend blindly I guess?

Probably a money$  thing.  Cheeper.  I would definitely recommend braid to a beginner fisherman tho. I remember starting off with mono because the moron at the tackle shop told me too, I remember having so many problems!  I think it takes a more skilled fisherman to capitalize on the benefits of mono. 

I respectfully disagree. Assuming the person has NEVER fished, the learning curve to get to a moderate skill level on a spinning reel  is faster with mono than braid. 

I think, it comes from old days, when mono was much cheaper then fluorocarbon.

Any beginner with spinning reel would get lots of birds nest (heck, I still get them occasionally) so it was/is cheaper to replace line.

Imagine, if you have to replace line few times a day, learning curves of spinning reel.

With mono is not that costly.

51 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

I respectfully disagree. Assuming the person has NEVER fished, the learning curve to get to a moderate skill level on a spinning reel  is faster with mono than braid. 

Yes. :howdy:

Only time straight mono is nice is when you’re taking someone who has no clue what they’re doing.  It gets real old having to retie leaders every other cast when they get snagged, break off, real the line in loose then cast a giant wind knot on the next cast.  Once someone can figure all that out, there’s really no reason to go back to mono.

I learned on mono.

My kids learned on mono.

I still recommend that new fisherman get started with mono. 
Mono Backlashes tend to not be as severe as those with braid and a spool of premium mono is considerably less expensive to replace that a spool of premium braid.

I do use braid quite a bit but doubt that I’ll ever give up mono completely.

"Quality" braid are not CHEAP. And I am a cheap skate that y still use Mono for my surf setup. Braid only use for offshore setup. 

So for me, 70% Mono, 30% Braid usage lol........

I started with braid in spinning, then braid on baitcaster. BUT I did my homework before starting, backing the reel with mono or tape, best braid knots, braid to leader knots, lure knots. Last weekend I tested a mono spinning setup from a friend and it was like using a blackberry with keyboard vs a touch phone; lots of memory, twists, can't feel the bottom, short casting distance. Yes you can fish with it but there are better options. So, my recommendation to someone starting is "Do your homework and start with braid". Even on my first baitcaster (Abu 6501) I started with braid and never backlashed.