coastalfreak

Lures for thick pond slime

21 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

There's this pond near my house and it is a killer fishing pond. The pond is just coated on the bottom with just slimy algae, and if my lure hits the bottom, the thing just turns green. Right now my go-to lure is a 1/8 oz rooster tail, and I just fish it above the bottom to avoid the slime. I would like to fish some lures on the bottom, but the slime is crazy. Any thoughts? 

Try a floating lure with a weight on a dropper, like fishing a Fish Finder rig. You can use a crankbait, jerkbait or floating type plastics and only the weight will be dragging the bottom. 

I've done it for flounder at times, but will work for most any fish.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Jim H said:

Try a floating lure with a weight on a dropper, like fishing a Fish Finder rig. You can use a crankbait, jerkbait or floating type plastics and only the weight will be dragging the bottom. 

I've done it for flounder at times, but will work for most any fish.  

Good idea. Maybe a squarebill  could work well with that. 

Edited by coastalfreak

I fish a small lake with the opposite problem. The green slime is on the top. And yes, on the bottom. The stuff on top looks like mats of snots. Almost impossible to fish.

I use senkos hooked weedless. Heavy enough to drop through the snot, and slowly sink to the bottom. If I feel the added weight of gunk I give it a quick rip and it's usually almost clean.

Even  bullet weighted Texas rigged worms work in the same way. But the senkos fished this way are more efficient at catching. If you're fishing for LMB, face it, slime, muck, weeds, etc are all a part of the game.

If you try the senko or worm method, learn to count  down how long it takes before your bait hits the bottom, then deduct the countdown by how long you need and start to work your bait.

And forget using anything spinning and treble hooked

On 2/12/2020 at 7:48 PM, coastalfreak said:

I would like to fish some lures on the bottom, but the slime is crazy. Any thoughts?

Well seeing that you asked.

I think you could accomplish your goal by using a dropshot rig.

I would probably start with a small finesse type plastic bait about 18 inches over the sinker. The hook should be tied dropshot style not on a dropper. But key to all this would be to make sure that the rig falls with the line under tension , rather than limp, so that the sinker falls into the snot, but the bait remains suspended over said same snot without falling into it. So you should cast to your spot, but stop the line as the sinker hits the water to create the tension. This could be done with a finger on the spool of a spinner, but is ideally suited to a nice little bait caster. With this sort of technique you will also be able to feel a pickup on the fall, as it may suddenly go weightless or you may feel a tug. Good luck.:howdy:

2 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

I fish a small lake with the opposite problem. The green slime is on the top. And yes, on the bottom. The stuff on top looks like mats of snots. Almost impossible to fish.

I use senkos hooked weedless. Heavy enough to drop through the snot, and slowly sink to the bottom. If I feel the added weight of gunk I give it a quick rip and it's usually almost clean.

Even  bullet weighted Texas rigged worms work in the same way. But the senkos fished this way are more efficient at catching. If you're fishing for LMB, face it, slime, muck, weeds, etc are all a part of the game.

If you try the senko or worm method, learn to count  down how long it takes before your bait hits the bottom, then deduct the countdown by how long you need and start to work your bait.

And forget using anything spinning and treble hooked

The pond is kind of similar. It used to be like that, but it’s been so windy that all of the snot on the top is blown into one corner of the pond which is good. 

On 2/15/2020 at 1:57 PM, coastalfreak said:

The pond is kind of similar. It used to be like that, but it’s been so windy that all of the snot on the top is blown into one corner of the pond which is good. 

That's the part of the pond I would fish first.

If the slop doesn't go to the bottom and has been in place for a week or so, a light jig with a bulky trailer (to add buoyancy) would be my first choice. Find a couple of stumps, rocks or similar items under the muck and it should pay off.

While the bass won't hit a ball of weeds a little isn't a deal breaker.

Love that corner of the lake where the slop and trash and junk accumulate.

Everyone else walks by it.

:)