New Slot Rule 28"-35" I have so many questions

Rate this topic

iputmyhoursin

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Bob just got of the phone as I am posting with the Biologist that wrote the article./

Recreational proposal will be from 28 to LESS than 35 inches  That would mean that no recreational fishermen can keep a 35 inch fish. . Any fish 35 inches  or larger will need a commercial permit to take  So that clarifies what I thought it meant to something a little different

Now I hope that make a little more sense to you as I does to me as well.

Carl,

I understood what they meant all along. I was never confused until you suggested a 34" buffer zone?

Simple, 28-35" rec, 35"> for comm. Recs will need to measure their 35" carefully.

The Sultan of Sluggo

11 mins ago, bob_G said:

..Simple, 28-35" rec, 35"> for comm. Recs will need to measure their 35" carefully.

OK...here is the sticky part..

It is not 28-35  rec.....it is 28 to less than 35 rec..  For commercial it is a 35 or larger..

I know...I know.....for the purpose of brevity folks will  say and use 28 to 35....but be careful when you measure. 

Edited by Joe G

51 mins ago, Joe G said:

It is not 28-35  rec.....it is 28 to less than 35 rec..  For commercial it is a 35 or larger..

I know...I know.....for the purpose of brevity folks will  say and use 28 to 35....but be careful when you measure. 

That is also my understanding. Recs can't keep a 35 inch long fish, commercial can only keep fish 35 inches or larger.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

48 mins ago, Joe G said:

That is the point Joe Any rec fish in possession will need to measure less then 35 inches and depending upon how they lay the fish on the measuring devise and where[flat ground or rocks] they might get two measurements The epo will be using a flat board that makes it hard to dispute

Peace

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

On 2/12/2020 at 3:29 PM, golden said:

If you keep a fish under or over the slot, you're breaking the law.  plain and simple.

I, however, think this is going to be a failure - the limit should be 1 fish at 36", which we had in the 80s, in an effort to restore stocks.  It was very successful.  The surfcasting in the spring was awesome too, on the southside, after a couple years, when you may not have caught  a keeper, but dozens of bass in the 30-34" range on topwater, under blue skies, mixed with blues.

Agree with you here why wouldn’t you adopt a proven method for success. 

6 hours ago, Gwiz said:

I still come back to the question. If the fishery is in trouble why have a commercial season at all? Guys will buy the license just to take cows from canal on commercial days. Seems like a huge loop hole. 

Following along this why ANY season at all?  No commercial or recreational take.  Nobody has to worry about less than 35, greater than 35, slots, bonus tags, quotas, etc, etc.  Shut it down and nobody is allowed to keep a fish until they are no longer “overfished”.  Why not???  What is the rationale behind not pulling the plug on the whole thing?  Desperate times right??

8 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

right.  i was wondering the same thing.  why wouldn’t they at least have a commercial slot too... even if it was something like 32-40 or ??? and leave the largest fish ??

I know I wouldn’t want commercial guys picking through 30-40 fish/day so they can get their 10 that fall in the slot.  I’d rather see them get their 10 and call it a day.

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

I know I wouldn’t want commercial guys picking through 30-40 fish/day so they can get their 10 that fall in the slot.  I’d rather see them get their 10 and call it a day.

true.

but why make it automatically more larger fish rather than smaller (?)

add 28+ to commercial and base the quota on # of fish only.  “first 10 fish 28+ period”... “you get what you get” (??)

It may be interesting and encouraging to some who fish the Canal, to read why the DMF proposed increasing the existing 34" commercial minimum size limit to 35"

Quote........." The DMF has a strong interest in increasing the commercial size limit one inch to 35" such that the recreational and commercial fisheries are completely separate in terms of legal-sized harvest.  This has the potential to alleviate some significant ongoing enforcement and compliance issues, particularly in fishing hot spots like the Cape Cod Canal."......Unquote.

It appears all those telephones calls and letters to the EPO regarding the fiasco at the Canal, also got the attention of the DMF.   :th:

Will be interesting to see how this plays out along the Canal.

45 mins ago, Joe G said:

It may be interesting and encouraging to some who fish the Canal, to read why the DMF proposed increasing the existing 34" commercial minimum size limit to 35"

Quote........." The DMF has a strong interest in increasing the commercial size limit one inch to 35" such that the recreational and commercial fisheries are completely separate in terms of legal-sized harvest.  This has the potential to alleviate some significant ongoing enforcement and compliance issues, particularly in fishing hot spots like the Cape Cod Canal."......Unquote.

It appears all those telephones calls and letters to the EPO regarding the fiasco at the Canal, also got the attention of the DMF.   :th:

Will be interesting to see how this plays out along the Canal.

So, does this mean you will be joining us in our angling pursuits on the mighty Cape Cod Canal this year??????????

Your all arguing over a tenth of an inch. I haven’t kept a fish in this century but if it were a tenth of an inch long or short AND was not going to live I’d take it. I put back a PB 35 3/4” fish when the limit had to be > 36” and don’t regret it. The fish was not distressed. 

(*member formerly known as 'Fairplay')

12 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

true.

but why make it automatically more larger fish rather than smaller (?)

add 28+ to commercial and base the quota on # of fish only.  “first 10 fish 28+ period”... “you get what you get” (??)

no commercial fishery that I know of is managed by individual counts.  They’re managed by poundage.  If the regulators have a hard determining length limits, can you image how difficult it would be for them to change the reporting/quotas to individual counts?

They’re trying to keep the recreational fishery separate from the commercial fishery.  Since commercial makes up such a small percentage of the dead fish, it makes sense they kill fewer but larger fish than us.

17 hours ago, FoliFish said:

Following along this why ANY season at all?  No commercial or recreational take.  Nobody has to worry about less than 35, greater than 35, slots, bonus tags, quotas, etc, etc.  Shut it down and nobody is allowed to keep a fish until they are no longer “overfished”.  Why not???  What is the rationale behind not pulling the plug on the whole thing?  Desperate times right??

I would love to see it catch and release only with the ability to purchase one trophy tag per year. The same as tarpon. Imagine how amazing the fishing would be in 5 or 10 years. People would travel from all over to fish for stripers. There’s plenty of scup and sea bass around for people to eat.