New Slot Rule 28"-35" I have so many questions

Rate this topic

iputmyhoursin

14 hours ago, bob_G said:

HFG,

IMO a couple reasons.

1. A lot less people fishing back then. Boats we're smaller, had less horsepower. Fishing technology was even close to what we have today.

IMHO immaterial now that we can't fish for the more than 3 miles from shore.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

On 2/14/2020 at 7:51 AM, iputmyhoursin said:

you lack the intellect to comprehend the basis of this thread.

Not to get in the middle of this, but weren’t you the one asking if you could keep a fish outside the slot if it was tired or hurt? :squid: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

It would appear that the rec wills have one fish per day from 28 to 34 inches The commercial will start at 35 inches at least that seems to be the consensus in the recent DMF news letter

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

On 2/15/2020 at 4:20 PM, Angler #1 said:

It would appear that the rec wills have one fish per day from 28 to 34 inches The commercial will start at 35 inches at least that seems to be the consensus in the recent DMF news letter

I think you made an error here.

You have to mean 28-35" for recs. For comms a legal fish is anything over 35".  No?

The way you've explained  it, 

fish between 34-35" will be in a no possession buffer zone. Off limits for both recs and comms alike.

The Sultan of Sluggo

11 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

right.  i was wondering the same thing.  why wouldn’t they at least have a commercial slot too... even if it was something like 32-40 or ??? and leave the largest fish ??

The reason they won't have a comm slot is, as it presently stands they can't even come close to filling the present quota. Imposing a slot on the comms will only serve to reduce comm landing further.

The Sultan of Sluggo

7 mins ago, Gwiz said:

I still don't see the logic. Sorry. 

right.

i know some comm guys that had zero problems getting the limit every trip.  maybe the quota wasn’t met cus less guys are trying or ****** weather or (god forbid i say it - less keeper fish)... anyway, these new regs almost seem like they are trying to encourage MORE comm fishing ... why?

Edited by nicknotsebastian

If the point of the new regulations is to save the large fish than the commercial size should be the same 28-35” as the recs.  It makes no sense that a rec fisherman has to release a 35”+ plus fish that can then be caught the following day by a comm guy and killed. What’s the point?  Are we really trying to save the species or is it all just a bad joke. 

We've switched to old freezer squid for bait. Don't seem to see any stripers anymore, but the skate like it just fine. I won't target them again until they are out of trouble (if ever). Wish we had some decent bluefish around to wrestle with, maybe this Summer......

.........Elvis lives....2020

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I think you made an error here.

You have to mean 28-35" for recs. For comms a legal fish is anything over 35".  No?

The way you've explained  it, 

fish between 34-35" will be in a no possession buffer zone. Off limits for both recs and comms alike.

Bob one can take it both ways Page 3 latest DMF news letter. The following is quoted { DMF has a strong interest in increasing the size limit one inch to 35inches such that the recreational and commercial fisheries are completelyl  separate in terms of legal sized harvest. This has the potential  to alleviate some significant ongoing enforcement and compliance issues,particularly in the hot spots like the Cape Cod Canal         also 'the only option .for public hearing later this winter  in  Massachusetts  will be a mandatory 28inch to LESS THAN 35 INCH SLOT LIMIT FOR   RECREATIONAL harvest.   putting both together  I believe they are going to approve up to 34 inches for recreational and increase the commercial number to 35 inches up one inch from where it has been for these past few years. It will interesting to see where it goes. I will place a call and see if we can get more clarification on the exact ruling .Peace 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

So you're saying for the record 34" fish cannot be harvested by either recs or comms?

Bob just got of the phone as I am posting with the Biologist that wrote the article./

Recreational proposal will be from 28 to LESS than 35 inches  That would mean that no recreational fishermen can keep a 35 inch fish. . Any fish 35 inches  or larger will need a commercial permit to take  So that clarifies what I thought it meant to something a little different

Now I hope that make a little more sense to you as I does to me as well.

Life member M.B.B.A #509