iputmyhoursin

New Slot Rule 28"-35" I have so many questions

Rate this topic

120 posts in this topic

I understand letting the big girls go due the the massive amount of eggs lost by keeping one, but won't this slot proposal harm the 2015 class of fish (about 26-28" currently) which is supposed to be the saving grace of the stock?

1 hour ago, hotfishgirl said:

If the one fish at 36 inches worked back in the day why can't we try that again?

HFG,

IMO a couple reasons.

1. A lot less people fishing back then. Boats we're smaller, had less horsepower. Fishing technology was even close to what we have today.

2. Back then the consensus among many was the biologists got lucky.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, capesams said:

should be mandatory to carry a flat board cut to 35" in lenght with a stop at one end to butt the nose too and a mark at 28"..how simple..but you know that'll never happen either.

You expect me to carry that while I wetsuit to a rock, I'll stick to a tape measure and release my fish anyways.

Edited by Sandbar1

11 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Ummmmm 

There are quite a few that come stock out of the package with circles...nothing new

On plugs??? Forgive me for being uneducated on this but how in the heck is a true circle hook (not inline) supposed to work with a plug. At the very least I imagine your hookup ratio would decrease exponentially.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

HFG,

IMO a couple reasons.

1. A lot less people fishing back then. Boats we're smaller, had less horsepower. Fishing technology was even close to what we have today.

2. Back then the consensus among many was the biologists got lucky.

Bob with all due respect, this is ****. Stripers grow too slow for a slot to work on our current biomass that is less than 28” currently as a large majority. I’m gonna keep pounding this drum till you’re sick of reading it. We should have made it 1@36” again same size whether it’s rec or commercial. 

What if you're out fishing and end up catching a huge fish,your personal best and you want to have it mounted, what do you do in that case? and as far as circle hooks go I think they are the worst thing to use,you can only go through the chunk of bait 1 time and they don't hold clams that good either and you can still gut hook a fish with a circle hook also my hookset when using circles was garbarge.I missed more  hook ups.
another thing I hear all the time is "let the big ones breed", do you know that the bigger fish don't spawn or not as much as the smaller fish and the ones that do the amount of good fertile eggs she lays are far and few between.The big fish get big by survival 

3 mins ago, McFinnigin59 said:

What if you're out fishing and end up catching a huge fish,your personal best and you want to have it mounted, what do you do in that case? 

Take measurements, length amd girth and a few good photographs. Revive and get a good release. You should be able to have an incredibly realistic fiberglass mount made without any issue.

I have zero issue with guys keeping a legal fish for the table but in this day and age there's really no need to kill a fish (of any species) solely for a skin mount.

Mr. @iputmyhoursin, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

@captahab416 Which part of my incoherent post did you not understand? We have 4 pages of discussion on a topic about a regulation Mass anglers are brand new to. The topic is open to discussion and you're going to have unfavorable responses, take it with a grain of salt.

By the way, Bill Murray's a overrated comedian and he sucks, not sure who pissed in your cereal at 4am. My guess is your dog chewed up your last VHS copy of Caddy Shack.

Wow, I haven't been on here in quite some time. I picked the right post to read at 6am. Regs are regs. You keep a fish under, over, upside down, or backwards....you're poaching. End of story. Easy answer. It's irrelevant what the biologist brains came up with (brains used loosely), it is what it is. I'm dreading seeing all those big floaters drifting by belly up this year. We can just do our part by using the right gear to land a fish in a timely manner, get your QUICK pic....REVIVE...and release gently. Not the triple lindy that the upper rock trolls do cuz the weeds are too slippery.   Honestly IMO, I would love love love to see the CCC C&R only. Never happen I know. But think of how many fish that would save all in itself. I'd bet that number is effing mind blowing!!!  Tight lines soon boys!

There's another reg that all states should enact now that there's a cap on size, and that's NO GAFFING!!  Maine has had that for years, but other states haven't.

Just my AM epiphany while I'm sitting here reading this repetitive rambling.  BTW, I think you MA guys should rename the CCC as the DMZ; sounds like a War Zone down there...

43 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

yThere's another reg that all states should enact now that there's a cap on size, and that's NO GAFFING!!  Maine has had that for years, but other states haven't.

Just my AM epiphany while I'm sitting here reading this repetitive rambling.  BTW, I think you MA guys should rename the CCC as the DMZ; sounds like a War Zone down there...

Dude, its almost comical. Morning tides, plan on getting squeezed tight. I remember going there at Zero dark 30, not a soul in sight. Maybe a regular night troll rolling by like ghost rider. But now....luck to get a parking spot at least at the main lots some nights. Last year I pulled into the run at 1am...no parking. That meant I didn't even want to think about fishing anywhere near there. Last year only fished a handful of times there. Put prob 12k miles on the Harleys though!

Edited by canal-rat
typo

49 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

There's another reg that all states should enact now that there's a cap on size, and that's NO GAFFING!!  Maine has had that for years, but other states haven't.

The no gaffing proposal is on the agenda for discussion when the hearings in mass start in march. 

As for dmz, i think "combat zone" may be more appropriate. :p

Edited by bdowning

1 hour ago, iputmyhoursin said:

@captahab416 Which part of my incoherent post did you not understand? We have 4 pages of discussion on a topic about a regulation Mass anglers are brand new to. The topic is open to discussion and you're going to have unfavorable responses, take it with a grain of salt.

By the way, Bill Murray's a overrated comedian and he sucks, not sure who pissed in your cereal at 4am. My guess is your dog chewed up your last VHS copy of Caddy Shack.

Unlike you I can measure 35" without looking for loopholes to keep an illegal fish. And the topic isn't up for debate, 28"-35" end of discussion. It literally couldnt be any easier. Also the quote is from Billy Madison.

Finally, how dare you bring Bill into this!! Please show some respect to the greats and direct all further insults to me personally please and thank you.