iputmyhoursin

New Slot Rule 28"-35" I have so many questions

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

No, there's no exceptions to the regs, nor should there be. That's just an excuse to keep an illegal fish.

Fish swallows a hook? Should have used a circle. Fighting a fish too long? Then use heavier gear like most of us do. 

These guys have got to stop looking for excuses, and learn their craft. Learn how to fish, and handle them properly. 

You have all the answers don’t you bob? In a real world that can be true, but not ever angler is willing to cop heavier gear and swap circle hooks on their sp spinnows. Not excuses, just plain facts.

32 mins ago, iputmyhoursin said:

You have all the answers don’t you bob? In a real world that can be true, but not ever angler is willing to cop heavier gear and swap circle hooks on their sp spinnows. Not excuses, just plain facts.

If a fisherman isn't willing to make the nessesary corrections to protect the threatened stripers, then it's on him.

No, I don't claim to have all the answers. But I have a few when it comes to this topic. In this case, it's common sense.

26 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Imagine 2 years no fishing. How good would it be after that ? Any better?

Much better you take that much pressure of a bass that are known to thrive even under harsh conditions. Upside would be huge! Should say don’t think we need to go there as long as people act responsible for a change.

Edited by sandbars

6 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

With the new regs in effect this year the slot limit is 28"-35". What happens if I land a 35.099999" striper on the brink of death after a long fight and it looked like it battered its noggin on the rocks one too many times? There could be endless scenarios with the fish not making it (swallowing a hook, a GWS taking a go at it,seals, inexperienced anglers mishandling the gill plate etc) Are there any exceptions to the regulations?  Am I supposed to release a dead fish even knowing that it's going to be shark/seal bait? I would feel really bummed not to harvest a fish if it would go to waste either way.

It goes back. 

Every one of your scenarios, utilizing the fish in some 'valued' manner is irrelevant. It's dead and out of the resource forever. You eating it does not justify that fact. It may make you feel better but that's a far as it goes.

Follow the regs, keep what you will use, use what you keep.

True story.  I'm a teacher, I had a couple hours to kill between the end of the day and parent teacher conferences.  It was a windy day.  The first spot I tried was no good, the conditions were just too rough.  I drove up the road to a shallow beach.  Oddly enough it put the wind at my back but the water had a good chop to it.  Got my waders on and took a cast.  Second cast I had a knot deep in the spool.  I ran back to my car and got my other, lighter rod.  I only ever caught schoolies there anyways.  First cast gets blown up by a nice fish.  She goes on a long run and for the first time in a long time I feel how weak that rod is.  It takes me twice as long to get her in as it would have with the first rod.  Then I take too long unburrying the trebles that had wrapped around her face.  By the time I get her back in the water she's barely moving.  After 5 minutes trying to revive her I reluctantly haul her back on shore.  I'm not against keeping fish I just didn't want to have one sitting in my car for 3 hours and I really wanted to keep fishing.  But once I decided to keep it I left the beach so I would have enough time to stop and get ice for it.  That fish was 35 1/4 inches.  With the new regs I would have had to throw her back.  (And I would've).  Bottom line, the regs are the regs.  Use proper gear.

4 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

i don’t think he’s talking about circles on sp minnows (but singles instead of trebles is a good idea) 

13 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

inline siwash is understandable. but a circle hook? 

They work. Certainly not as well as a treble. But if it's a big fish, I'm going to have to release it anyway. So if I miss some fish, who cares? :why:

Just now, bob_G said:

They work. Certainly not as well as a treble. But if it's a big fish, I'm going to have to release it anyway. So if I miss some fish, who cares? :why:

might start fishing without hooks. hell why even fish anymore. more fly fishing for tank fish.

If there were regulations to allow you to keep the fish in your given scenario.....people everywhere would be ripping guts and gills out of a fishes mouth because “ they couldn’t revive it”