iputmyhoursin

New Slot Rule 28"-35" I have so many questions

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

With the new regs in effect this year the slot limit is 28"-35". What happens if I land a 35.099999" striper on the brink of death after a long fight and it looked like it battered its noggin on the rocks one too many times? There could be endless scenarios with the fish not making it (swallowing a hook, a GWS taking a go at it,seals, inexperienced anglers mishandling the gill plate etc) Are there any exceptions to the regulations?  Am I supposed to release a dead fish even knowing that it's going to be shark/seal bait? I would feel really bummed not to harvest a fish if it would go to waste either way.

Edited by iputmyhoursin

lol i guess just let it bake in the sun and hope it shrinks below 35 or maybe bring a pair of scissors to trim the tail at the correct angle 

all jokes aside, I wouldn't risk it, even if you didn't want to put the fish to waste since it will most likely not survive.

11 mins ago, iputmyhoursin said:

Am I supposed to release a dead fish even knowing that it's going to be shark/seal bait? I would feel really bummed not to harvest a fish if it would go to waste either way.

short answer is yeah, sadly it goes back.

3 mins ago, tj7501 said:

The same concern has always existed for a 27.9" fish all these years :)

Right, but the the new regs are supposed to promote reproduction by allowing the bigger girls to breed. 6 inches in striper years is like 3-4 years. Supposedly a 27 inch fish 6 years old and 35 inch is 10 y/o

Edited by iputmyhoursin

45 mins ago, iputmyhoursin said:

With the new regs in effect this year the slot limit is 28"-35". What happens if I land a 35.099999" striper on the brink of death after a long fight and it looked like it battered its noggin on the rocks one too many times? There could be endless scenarios with the fish not making it (swallowing a hook, a GWS taking a go at it,seals, inexperienced anglers mishandling the gill plate etc) Are there any exceptions to the regulations?  Am I supposed to release a dead fish even knowing that it's going to be shark/seal bait? I would feel really bummed not to harvest a fish if it would go to waste either way.

No, there's no exceptions to the regs, nor should there be. That's just an excuse to keep an illegal fish.

Fish swallows a hook? Should have used a circle. Fighting a fish too long? Then use heavier gear like most of us do. 

These guys have got to stop looking for excuses, and learn their craft. Learn how to fish, and handle them properly. 

Edited by bob_G

If you keep a fish under or over the slot, you're breaking the law.  plain and simple.

I, however, think this is going to be a failure - the limit should be 1 fish at 36", which we had in the 80s, in an effort to restore stocks.  It was very successful.  The surfcasting in the spring was awesome too, on the southside, after a couple years, when you may not have caught  a keeper, but dozens of bass in the 30-34" range on topwater, under blue skies, mixed with blues.

23 mins ago, bob_G said:

No, there's no exceptions to the regs, nor should there be. That's just an excuse to keep an illegal fish.

Fish swallows a hook? Should have used a circle. Fighting a fish too long? Then use heavier gear like most of us do. 

These guys have got to stop looking for excuses, and learn their craft. Learn how to fish, and handle them properly. 

:th:

This is approximately the same slot limit for Snook in Florida .... and they do pretty well there because of it. It should be the standard regulation for Stripers up and down the East Coast.

Let them big Mommas LIVE!!

1 hour ago, iputmyhoursin said:

Nothing is wasted in nature, what humans throw in the dumpster is waste......………………….

2 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

28''--LESS THAN 35''....see told u guys my 28--to 34 15/16th'' post would help someone...lol..proof read your abstracts kiddies...35''and over a no no ..no matter what

3 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

If you catch today you may keep it. 

Haha I love the SOL sharpies. So quick to judge! I’m all for the new regs, in fact I think it’s something that should have been done along time ago. I’ve released plenty big girls over the years, I only had to harvest one last year because the fact I knew it wasn’t going to make it.