irishexit

When did GRS Blow Up ?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

What it really comes down to is that you have to have faith in the lure that you’re throwing.

Whether it’s an inexpensive bargain bin plastic plug or a hundred dollar handmade work of art, you have to believe that you can make that lure look good enough for a fish to hit it. 
Otherwise, you are wasting your time and you might as well stick with bait.

Confidence is paramount. Sometimes it’s deserved and sometimes it’s not.

Heck, sometimes confidence doesn’t even come from your own experience; it can be based on rumors and the tales other anglers tell. 
I think that’s often the case with lures that become so popular that they become hard to find. 
Are those lure really that good or is it more hype than actual catchability?

My guess is it’s mostly hype.

Besides, I can’t bring myself to pay what some do for a single boutique plug.

Edited by valentine

7 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

Happens to the best of us my friend. I keep my lures to a $20 minimum... $21 if I really like it.

I know, this was a typo;

$21; that's about $15 more that I would spend.

I lost 2 of my  favorite SS poppers last year; casting into the Sunset

Still, having trouble sleeping because of that.

:point:

Edited by Popasilov

I will say this over and over, Gary is a great guy and continuously makes a well made plug.  He has a collectible market and a fishing market.  He has EARNED the higher than average prices for  a lure.  They are well made, last, tested, proven to be excellent swimmers and what is NOT to like about them?  They are not bombers or yo zuri's sizewide.

I don't think I alone "drove up" the prices.  If they were just pretty lures then that's one thing, but these are great fishing lures.  I swam a weasel for the first time last year in both calm and rough water and was very impressed....a must for any surf bag. I swam other guys's lures over the years that I bought for $25 and with all the rolls and inconsistencies even the fish got dizzy and disinterested.......but there are many other proven options, the GRS is not the "one" but try convincing me there's a better option for a pike.  I've used them all.  I'll stick to GRS....

There's plenty of $25-40 options out there-but don't see them in peoples bags a lot....and definitely not bragging about them. I keep 12 in my bags at all times.  

I also think a lot of people still don't realize fishing lures is not only a fishing market but a collectible market-which is what keeps builders keeping building for all of us to use.  They don't make retirement money on selling lures.

So, here's my question, what do you think a GRS should sell for if the prices weren't "driven up"......let's discuss

They should sell for them what they market will allow. Imho, gary could go a little higher. 

in the end it’s his work, time and effort. He sets the price and the market will decide the value. 

20 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

They aren't a very productive lure...but you can hang a quality fish on them in very specific situations/spots.  Its quality way over quantity with GRS.  If you caught 20 20's-30s in a row with one then the stars, sun , and the moon were aligned perfectly. Go buy a lottery ticket.

For the surf I can totally see your point, they are tough to cast and if the water isnt deep theres a good chance you can hang up and lose a pretty expensive and difficult to replace plug. Im fishing more and more from a boat these days and GRS has probably been my number one producing swimmer for most of the last decade.  Id say other than the Doc its accountable for 70-80% of my fish over 25 lbs. Honestly for years when targeting quality fish GRS was out fishing every other swimmer thrown by a pretty good margin.  I'm thankful I started buying and fishing them years ago as I still have a pretty good stash of them that were purchased for less than 50 bucks.  Now when I do break one off it does sting pretty badly knowing the replacement cost, but another thing to be thankful for is the fact that a few other builders have stepped up and started producing quality big diving swimmers.   They definitely have their advantages and disadvantages, but as far as throwing big wood on musky style gear, theyre one of the best weapons I have in my plug box.

I remember meeting Gary at one of the shows back in 05 or 06. He wasn’t getting very much attention back then because nobody knew who he was yet, and his plugs were $35-$40 each, when most custom plugs were going for $20-25. I also remember in 08 seeing a line at his table at one of the shows and his plugs flying off the BST instantly for $50+

Just now, Terry Mac said:

a plastic $7 Creek Chub Pikie will out fish a $80 GRS. 

pikie.JPG

We started using the big wooden ones that were discontinued a few years back as a cheaper alternative.  Swam great, and fished side by side with GRS probably produced the same quality and numbers.  Every single one of them cracked and split from water intrusion after a day or two of use.  Not a single one didnt crack.

Probably worth a shot throwing one of those plastic jointed.

1 min ago, Matt7082 said:

I remember meeting Gary at one of the shows back in 05 or 06. He wasn’t getting very much attention back then because nobody knew who he was yet, and his plugs were $35-$40 each, when most custom plugs were going for $20-25. I also remember in 08 seeing a line at his table at one of the shows and his plugs flying off the BST instantly for $50+

I dont think the craze for his plugs really started until the mid 20-teens.  Up until like 2012 he would pretty much always have inventory on his site and you could custom order whatever you wanted.

1 min ago, bbfish said:

We started using the big wooden ones that were discontinued a few years back as a cheaper alternative.  Swam great, and fished side by side with GRS probably produced the same quality and numbers.  Every single one of them cracked and split from water intrusion after a day or two of use.  Not a single one didnt crack.

Probably worth a shot throwing one of those plastic jointed.

Exactly! The GRS guys fuel the Patagonia clothing market. 

20 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

I blame it all on JasonV... he scooped up every BST GRS for sale for years with his quick draw "mine." Great guy but a self admitted GRS ho who single handedly drove BigWater plugs way up in value.

Thanks for the compliment Ba Ba, but the rest of your post is mistaken and erroneous....it's the FLIPPERS that drive prices up for anything.  Now even there's raffles that the seller gets over $200 for a common color lure.  That's what's driving the prices up.  Those are the facts Ba Ba and where your "blame" should be. I have never sold a GRS.  But again, Gary sells his lures at shows for $65-95 with a weasel for $100.  Very affordable compared to others but on the high side.