Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedGreen

Flairhawk/Snook jigs vs bucktails, also flairhawk question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

It seems to me that flairhawk and bucktail jigs are typically presented in similar fashions, so why are flairhawks so much more prevalent down south than bucktails? Is there some trait they have that separates them that I haven't noticed? They seem to be nearly identical lures to me, aside from construction.

Also, why do the vast majority of flairhawks have a dark strip of synthetic hair on the bottom of the jig as opposed to the top? My understanding was that the top was the best place for this as baitfish generally have dark backs, not bellies. Is this done for ease of construction when these jigs are manufactured? Or is there some other reason that I'm just not seeing?

I've questioned about the tail being on the bottom myself. It's probably due to ease of use and not getting in the way of the hook. I have seen homemade flare hawks with the tail on top. I'm sure fish won't notice if the tail is top or bottom since flare hawks are mostly fished at night anyways. Maybe it may be beneficial for the strip to be on top if you're fishing during day light hours.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I really dont think it matters much, although im sure some patterns work better in certain situations.  You can catch snook with a regular old smiling bill bucktail and you can catch striped bass with a flairhawk.   Both are just very similar tools well suited for ambush predators.

Edited by bbfish

I was looking to take a trip down to Florida some time in March and in researching stumbled down a whole rabbit hole of custom boutique bespoke $8 bonefish this, redfish that shrimp bucktails.  I think Dan's sea robin fluke jigs look pretty shrimpy, I'm gonna bring some of those.

I don't think it matters all that much either, at least at night. Don't see/hear of many using these flair Hawks during the day.

I did come to the conclusion that they're very similar lures, I just wanted to ask in case there was something important that I was missing, like specific profile or action underwater or something like that. 

I think I'll just stick with bucktail jigs as I've got a ton of materials and it's way cheaper to me to just buy the heads and tie them myself.

Thanks for your replies guys in affirming my suspicions.