gchalifoux

Help get me restarted

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, gchalifoux said:

Well, 200-300 ish.. plus plugs, carrying shoulder bag, accessories like leaders, swivels? Etc etc. Have bike to ride the canal, maybe camp near bye.

$200 - $300 will get you a good set up for either open beach or Canal, but I am afraid not for both. You may use Canal set-up for open beach, but open beach set-up wont do you much good on Canal.

My understanding for a Canal you will need heavier, stronger rod (like Sandbar pointed already) with bigger and faster reel that holds lots of line, due to conditions and current on the Canal.

You may, also, ask same questions in Mas forum, since those guys know much better Canal than most of us here.

PS

I am not saying they are better fisherman, just that they may know Canal better.

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

If you plan to fish the canal and the beaches you'll need two rods. Preferably something around 9' rated around 1-4 oz for the beaches and a rod between 10' and 11' rated at least 2-6 for the ditch.

Look at the Star Paraflex for the ditch and the Airwave Elite for the beaches. Consider taking a look at the ODM DNA rod as well.

As for the reels, I'd go with one of the new Penn Spinfishers for the beaches and a Diawa BG 5k for the canal.

can you explain the science behind the "rated 1-4oz" and "2-6", is that the oz's of the plug? or?? and how does that impact the performance of the rod or reel or both? thanks

3 hours ago, gchalifoux said:

can you explain the science behind the "rated 1-4oz" and "2-6", is that the oz's of the plug? or?? and how does that impact the performance of the rod or reel or both? thanks

Thats the lure rating meaning the rod is rated to throw plugs weighing in that range. Sometimes a rod can throw a little more or a little less the rating but it gives you a general idea of what it's made to throw.

1-4 is generally a good all around on the beaches, 1-5 or 2-5 is my go to for heavier plugs in the surf. 2-6 will handle the same heavy plugs as a 1-5 while also throwing larger jigs well making it a good go to for the canal. If you plan to throw heavy jigs a lot at the canal you'll want a rod rated higher, say 3-8 or even 4-10.

For general use two rods, one rated around 1-4 (or 3/4 - 4) and one around 2-6 will cover the beaches and canal.

If you have any specific questions about gear or anything also feel free to private message me on here.

9 hours ago, gchalifoux said:

Perfect information. Thanks so much!! Maybe others will share their combos, to give me a few other price point options. Thanks

You're welcome. The rod I recommended is rated to 2 1/2 oz and can handle 3oz if needed. So its good for beaches, bays and inlets. 

It's undersized for the canal..