gchalifoux

Help get me restarted

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hey fellow fishermen!, 

Gary here from Oxford, Mass. 

Grew up salt water fishing with my Dad, used his old gear for many years as a kid. Considering getting back into the salt water scene.

I'm looking for some advice for shore line/surf casting from the beaches and jetties. Hoping I can get several options and suggestions.

Budget minded for sure....need advice on a rod/reel combo, length of rod, action to be considered, type/strength of line etc etc.

Sure would appreciate your experience and input.

thanks/Gary

Hi, Welcome back Gary. For right now , I would keep your cost down till you see if you like it. I would get a rod and reel spinning outfit. A 9' 10' would be perfect to start with. Go with Mono at first. Then once you get back in the casting groove you can go to braid. Plastic sand spike, Bucket, few other little items and your all set. With a 9' and a 10" rod you can also fish jetties, and the surf.  Are you casting plugs or chunking bait or both.Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

head down to local bait shop. see if you like the staff. if not go to another. if yes tell them ur budget and have them put together your setup. then head directly to where they think you should fish and get comfortable w your gear. drop in same shop to buy bait etc all the time. before long you'll know the shop folks well and that relationship will pay big dividends on your fishing future.  

Plugs for Bass and Blues?

Get a 9 foot St Croix Triumph. 150 bucks? Penn Battle 5000 reel.

I've been happy with mine for five years. Put some 20# suffix 832 on and you're good to go.

Edited by Buckscorider

Living in Oxford makes a , relatively, short trip to CCC.

Are you planing at all to fish there?

If yes, than that is a different ball game.

Your average beach/shore/back bay set up will not do you much good at Canal.

11 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Living in Oxford makes a , relatively, short trip to CCC.

Are you planing at all to fish there?

If yes, than that is a different ball game.

Your average beach/shore/back bay set up will not do you much good at Canal.

Understood, exactly why I'm asking... thanks for the input!!

15 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

A budget would be a helpful place to start.

Do you plan to fish bait or plugs?

Plugs mostly.... probably exclusively

Edited by gchalifoux
Forgot response

13 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Plugs for Bass and Blues?

Get a 9 foot St Croix Triumph. 150 bucks? Penn Battle 5000 reel.

I've been happy with mine for five years. Put some 20# suffix 832 on and you're good to go.

Perfect information. Thanks so much!! Maybe others will share their combos, to give me a few other price point options. Thanks

15 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

A budget would be a helpful place to start.

Do you plan to fish bait or plugs?

Well, 200-300 ish.. plus plugs, carrying shoulder bag, accessories like leaders, swivels? Etc etc. Have bike to ride the canal, maybe camp near bye.

Diawa BG reels are great for the price point.  Their sizing is a bit odd so make sure you don't buy a reel that is too large.

Star and Tsunami both make good budget rods.  Another option is to shop used (check the BST here).

On 2/12/2020 at 9:46 AM, gchalifoux said:

Hey fellow fishermen!, 

Gary here from Oxford, Mass. 

Grew up salt water fishing with my Dad, used his old gear for many years as a kid. Considering getting back into the salt water scene.

I'm looking for some advice for shore line/surf casting from the beaches and jetties. Hoping I can get several options and suggestions.

Budget minded for sure....need advice on a rod/reel combo, length of rod, action to be considered, type/strength of line etc etc.

Sure would appreciate your experience and input.

thanks/Gary

Looks like a buddy of mine has everything I need to give it a try....psyched!!!!

If you plan to fish the canal and the beaches you'll need two rods. Preferably something around 9' rated around 1-4 oz for the beaches and a rod between 10' and 11' rated at least 2-6 for the ditch.

Look at the Star Paraflex for the ditch and the Airwave Elite for the beaches. Consider taking a look at the ODM DNA rod as well.

As for the reels, I'd go with one of the new Penn Spinfishers for the beaches and a Diawa BG 5k for the canal.