FishHawk II

Slot Limits

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, Stripsettter said:

No Bait! No Barbs! No Buckets! It starts with us not eating Striped Bass and properly handling and releasing them. Enforcement of any law implemented. Just because you “can” keep a fish for dinner doesn’t mean you should.

I support C&R only for Striped Bass. That’s what it’s come to. A slot removes a tremendous number of potential new fish. A min size is better because a 38” fish has already contributed a lot of eggs that the slot fish wouldn’t even get a chance to produce. It’s also just harder to find and catch those bigger fish.

seriously though, why can’t we stop eating Striped Bass? All the fishing I’ve done down south and in carribean is C&R and you pay $$ for a guide and it’s just understood that you don’t keep or eat the fish. Granted Tarpon and Bonefish are inedible lol but a culture change is needed if we want to ever be consistently catching big Striped Bass again.

That is the sad reality. In the end we are banging our heads against a wall because of this. Either it changes and things improve or this thing crashes and burns and maybe if we are lucking we get another rebuild.

If there was a complete moratorium today it would still take 6-8 years to see improvement along the coast. The current plan will only make things worse, delaying any possible recovery even more. At my age, it's getting near the end for what I can reasonably expect to see. I'm not that old but I doubt I will be able to do what I can today in 10-15 years.

13 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

No Bait! No Barbs! No Buckets! It starts with us not eating Striped Bass and properly handling and releasing them. Enforcement of any law implemented. Just because you “can” keep a fish for dinner doesn’t mean you should.

I support C&R only for Striped Bass. That’s what it’s come to. A slot removes a tremendous number of potential new fish. A min size is better because a 38” fish has already contributed a lot of eggs that the slot fish wouldn’t even get a chance to produce. It’s also just harder to find and catch those bigger fish.

seriously though, why can’t we stop eating Striped Bass? All the fishing I’ve done down south and in carribean is C&R and you pay $$ for a guide and it’s just understood that you don’t keep or eat the fish. Granted Tarpon and Bonefish are inedible lol but a culture change is needed if we want to ever be consistently catching big Striped Bass again.

So just an observation here, if you would be ok with a minimum size fish @38” why not make it a slot at 38”-42”? What a slot limit does is protect the bigger fish.  Not sure why that would be worse than 1 @38”. And of course with the way things look the entire fishery should be shut down.

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, jps1010 said:

The concern I have with a slot is that it is unproven for striped bass.   The 1 @ 36" worked in the past so it would make sense to use something similar.  It is my understanding that they did not go with the 1 @ 35 was due to the fact the for hires were against it like they are against virtually any kind of conservative measures. 

Again, the reason why 1 @ 36" was so successful is because it gave the fish several opportunities to spawn.  This is why they chose that size at the time.  The 28" starting point does not allow the fish as many times to spawn which I find problematic.

So why not make it 1 @36”-40”, nothing over 40”.

Edited by quan808

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/13/2020 at 2:13 AM, FishHawk II said:

." Of course people have to follow the law and not cull fish. "  And this is the why it won't work because some people like to cheat or to be kind

bend the rules. FishHawk

Well if there is no enforcement, then any limit or no limit will never work so a 1 fish at XX” and a slot would not work either.

People are proposing a one fish @ thirty something inches. I was only stating that a slot would even make it more difficult to keep a fish and I thought that was the ultimate goal barring shutting down the fishery.

Edited by quan808

4 hours ago, quan808 said:

So just an observation here, if you would be ok with a minimum size fish @38” why not make it a slot at 38”-42”? What a slot limit does is protect the bigger fish.  Not sure why that would be worse than 1 @38”. And of course with the way things look the entire fishery should be shut down.

Yes a slot of much larger fish would be better than a slot of smaller fish. The proposal is for slot to be of small fish.

5 hours ago, quan808 said:

So why not make it 1 @36”-40”, nothing over 40”.

I'd be all for that because the starting point allows them a chance to spawn more than once.  Unfortunately that wasn't an option.

5 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

Yes a slot of much larger fish would be better than a slot of smaller fish. The proposal is for slot to be of small fish.

I gotcha. I was just going by the opening question posed by the OP. I didn't know the slot size proposed. Only fished for striped bass a few times and sad to see the fishery go this way.