FishHawk II

Slot Limits

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, FishHawk II said:

Ok so if you replace the managers who will take over there responsibility? In essence wont they be managers with a different title?

We need them managed under mag-stev. That would solve the problem entirely. 

it’s really that simple. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, Pauleye said:

The OP asked about the efficacy of a slot limit. Fisheries science has many studies showing slot limits being best management methods. GTS. 

The MD, NJ stuff talking about is not a slot limit as the “slot” is lost. Therefore, I answered the OP’s question and if 1 slot was used it will be most effective. If multiple slots are used then it isn’t really a slot. 

As a reminder, 1 @ 36” was coupled with a moratorium too. 

Please provide examples of the science then. 

ps - don’t say snook or reds..

pps - how can you have 1@36 AND a moratorium? Technically, there never was a moratorium for bass back in the 80s. At least not a complete, legislated moratorium. NJ never had it, I think there were a few others. There was a ‘functional’ moratorium though. By that I mean fishing was so poor no one caught much anyways. 

Edited by Drew C.

I'd actually like to see a NO KiLL reg for a couple of years to let the fish catch up . That makes it easy to enforce. Any fish, any size is not allowed. I'd also like to see some real enforcement from the clam cops and courts.   Of course, I have no expectation that any of this will happen until things get allot worse.  

39 mins ago, Pauleye said:

As a reminder, 1 @ 36” was coupled with a moratorium too. 

Can’t be both - either a moratorium or a size/bag limit. We never had a moratorium in NJ...neither did most states. 

MD and VA had moratorium, while others had 1@36 “.  Can have both across a species range as long as that range Spreads across states that can have different rules

There never was a moratorium. 

That’s one of the ‘myths’ that is constantly kicked around in regards to bass. We did have some states with a moratorium, but not in others. commercial fishing was shut down as wel. We also had the pcb scare out of NY. A lot of things went on then. 

Bass recovered due to fairly strict regulations on their harvest. I grew up during that time, bass were pretty rare. I caught a 35.5” fish one year (NJ). My first ‘real’ bass. I caught while fishing with some of the sharpies one night. They were kind enough to have me fish with them. What stands out to me is that when I landed the fish they said it was the biggest bass they had seen in two years. That got my attention. These guys were very experienced anglers and put a lot of time in. For several to say that it shows you how poor the fishing was. Luckily we had decent to good weakfishing then along with good action on blues. Those are now in the crapper too. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

we had a Moratorium in NC for 15 or 20 years.  We never saw many after 1971 --I caught my first striper in the ocean in 1988 and we had no season. I think the season opened in the ocean around 1996?  Caught my last one Christmas Day 2005 or 2006 can't remember.   I am so glad I got to see it from 1998 until 2005. We have not had any to speak of since 2005.

I know someone said don't mention reds with slot limit.  It worked here in NC.  I have been chasing old drum since 1973 and there are now big old drum than I can remember.   

Edited by bhorsley

8 hours ago, Pauleye said:

Science says they work.  I'd rather have a slot than a minimum size.

Speaking from experience here. Maine had a slot limit. The fishing got worse year after year. 
It was never as good as it was when it was one fish 38” or bigger. 

2 hours ago, Linesidesonthefly said:

Speaking from experience here. Maine had a slot limit. The fishing got worse year after year. 
It was never as good as it was when it was one fish 38” or bigger. 

It’s 1 @ 28”. That’s the reg we are replacing.  Of course 1 @ 36 or 38 is superior. They aint gonna do that. Heck, I think a 3 to 5 year moratorium coast wide is best. The proposed minimum length will be lower than 36”. I want the 30 plus pound fish protected and laying eggs. 

3 hours ago, bhorsley said:

we had a Moratorium in NC for 15 or 20 years.  We never saw many after 1971 --I caught my first striper in the ocean in 1988 and we had no season. I think the season opened in the ocean around 1996?  Caught my last one Christmas Day 2005 or 2006 can't remember.   I am so glad I got to see it from 1998 until 2005. We have not had any to speak of since 2005.

I know someone said don't mention reds with slot limit.  It worked here in NC.  I have been chasing old drum since 1973 and there are now big old drum than I can remember.   

Not sure why a slot limit would not work. Of course people have to follow the law and not cull fish. And at the end of the day, if there is no enforcement, no limit will work.

A slot allows for smaller fish to breed at least once and the bigger egg producers to continue to lay. 

In the case of Florida, I have probably caught 10 snook, all over the slot limit and was never able to keep one because of the narrow slot. I would think the current slot of 28"-32" would be better than 1 fish over @32".

." Of course people have to follow the law and not cull fish. "  And this is the why it won't work because some people like to cheat or to be kind

bend the rules. FishHawk

I have no idea if the snook stock is healthy or not, but for the sake of this thread let's assume it is - the slot limit has absolutely nothing to do with that. Take a little bit of time, look up the regs for both bass and snook. Then give some thought about each fishery, the biology and habitats of the fish, and the locations of each fishery, who manages them, enforcement, etc. 

If you do that you'll quickly find it's not the slot that helps snook fishery.

The concern I have with a slot is that it is unproven for striped bass.   The 1 @ 36" worked in the past so it would make sense to use something similar.  It is my understanding that they did not go with the 1 @ 35 was due to the fact the for hires were against it like they are against virtually any kind of conservative measures. 

Again, the reason why 1 @ 36" was so successful is because it gave the fish several opportunities to spawn.  This is why they chose that size at the time.  The 28" starting point does not allow the fish as many times to spawn which I find problematic.