FishHawk II

Slot Limits

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

What is your opinion about a proposed slot limit?  I think it will do more harm than good because anglers will cull their catch in hopes of getting a larger fish. FishHawk

I'd like to see a higher slot. 35-40" lets all fish breed at least a few times, and saves the very largest breeders that have those valuable genes for large size. 

Absolutely horrible idea. Harvest will be focused on the slot fish to the point many don’t survive it. C&r mortality on larger fish will whittle those numbers down.

then consider that Md will target small fish and NJ will have a trophy tag. We’re killing before they breed, killing the slots, and still killing big fish. 

Interesting topic.  I had not previously thought of any negative implications that a slot limit would introduce. 

History should tell us something about the efficacy of slot limits.  Should we not simply use the most effective policies from the past?

I would personally like to see a strict catch and release policy for all sizes put in place for a few years but doubt that will ever happen.

Then there's the problem of enforcement or lack thereof.  When the consequences are weak and/or rarely enforced, these rules have dull teeth, unfortunately

2 hours ago, FishHawk II said:

What is your opinion about a proposed slot limit?  I think it will do more harm than good because anglers will cull their catch in hopes of getting a larger fish. FishHawk

Wouldn't this be a problem no matter what limits are in place?

For example: If the rule was one fish per day of any size, wouldn't a bad person just cut the currently kept fish loose, dead or alive, and put the new bigger one on the stringer?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Difficult solution to a serious problem. One thing that needs to be done is more enforcement. Make some example of the poachers. Once the word gets 

out it will help the situation. We all like the tug which is a drug but taking the fish out of the water to hold it up so your buddy can give you an "At a boy" or 

using circle hooks to catch a fish and then lay it on the sand to measure it does not help.  What we are going to do is destroy the fishery .

FishHawk

Edited by FishHawk II

Last year I went into a whole foods because I felt like being overcharged for salt or something.  I noticed that farm-raised striped bass was $25/lb.. that's not a typo.  The penalty in CT, I've recently learned, is $70/fish for a keeper violation.  This is a gamble that, unfortunately, too many are willing to take, given the value of the meat.

I propose we really make the penalty hurt.  Confiscate the equipment, make an arrest, and make the fine large and non-negotiable on court day.

I know.. it will never happen because the courts have big backlogs and this problem is viewed as relatively small potatoes

1 hour ago, Pauleye said:

Science says they work.  I'd rather have a slot than a minimum size.

Do you have any examples of the ‘science’ that supports this?

4 mins ago, Pauleye said:

Has the minimum thing worked?

Yes, 1 @ 36" worked the first time around.  At that time, similar to how it is now, no one caught any decent sized bass.  Most that did were boat fishermen.  The fish that were < 36" now had the opportunity to spawn multiple times before being culled. 

I think the slot is better than nothing but those fish are going to get hammered.

32 mins ago, Pauleye said:

Has the minimum thing worked?

The current status of the stock has nothing to do with the past limit structure. It is due to an inept, incompetent and probably corrupt management system.

Asmfc is incapable of managing any fishery. Until they go bass are going to continue to decline. 

A slot in itself is a horrible idea. What’s happening with bass now is significantly worse. The only way it could work is if everyone, everywhere fished under the same exact regs. That would mean no trophy tag for NJ. No special regs for the for hire fleet, no bay fishery that targets prespawn immature fish. What we have now is a giant mess that will only make things worse. 

we should have went with 1@35” or so. We didn’t and bass are screwed. 

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Absolutely horrible idea. Harvest will be focused on the slot fish to the point many don’t survive it. C&r mortality on larger fish will whittle those numbers down.

then consider that Md will target small fish and NJ will have a trophy tag. We’re killing before they breed, killing the slots, and still killing big fish. 

The OP asked about the efficacy of a slot limit. Fisheries science has many studies showing slot limits being best management methods. GTS. 

The MD, NJ stuff talking about is not a slot limit as the “slot” is lost. Therefore, I answered the OP’s question and if 1 slot was used it will be most effective. If multiple slots are used then it isn’t really a slot. 

As a reminder, 1 @ 36” was coupled with a moratorium too.